Status: Barely active, but still alive

Complications Between Mythical Creatures

Nighty Night

I waved goodbye to my mother as she walked out the door to Jake's bedroom, "I'll catch up with you in a minute," Lacie motioned for my mother to keep moving out the door, an innocent smile on her face. She looked back at me then at Lacie, reluctant. Lacie just continued to smile very wide and ushered her out. My mother pursed her lips walked around her to give me a kiss on the cheek. "Okay, you call me if you need something and I'll be here in an instant." Something about the way she said "instant" made me think that driving wasn't what she meant.

"I'll be okay, Mom," I smiled weakly at her. My body was beginning to feel weaker and weaker. She just gave me a worried look and straightened up before walking away. "Good night, Baby."

"Good Night, Mom." I couldn't help but lean all my weight on the pillows that Jake had put behind me. By this point the pain killers were beginning to wear off and every part of my body was hurting. I just wanted to sleep.

Once my mother was down the hall, Lacie called Jake in. "Yes?" he walked into his bedroom. Lacie just studied Jake and I for a moment, a knowing look in her eyes. "Uhmm… Lacie?" she seemed to snap out of whatever thought she was having and handed the small pouch she was holding to Jake. "Take these herbs. Now I need you to boil a small handful in a pot full of water, and make sure that Scarlet drinks the tea every few hours." Jake looked down at the pouch in his hands, confused, "Uhm.. Yeah okay."

Lacie pulled him down so that she could speak directly in her ear, "Keep in mind, that one is just as stubborn as her mother," she nodded at me. "Keep a watchful eye on her, her injuries are serious. Make sure she drinks the tea." I could feel Jake look over at me out of the corner of his eye and nodded.

"Good." she stepped back and smiled, patting him on the shoulder. "Jake, you are in charge of changing her bandages and making sure she heals well. Make sure you help her leave this room every now and then so that she doesn't get any bed sores."

"What?" I gaped at her, my body leaning forward needing to be part of this conversation. As soon as I did, I really wished that I had thought about it first. What is she doing? "That's okay," I breathed, "Abby can do that." Jake dropped the herbs on bed beside me and helped me readjust, "What are you doing, Stupid? Lean back…" I turned my head to snap at him but was cut off by Lacie.

"Absolutely not. You two are too rambunctious when you're together. Abby can have visiting hours, but no one is to make you worse," she looked down at me. There was a threatening look in her eyes that made me want to cringe. I just stared at her, avoiding meeting Jake's eyes but very aware of his hands still on my skin. My breaths were coming out short and get faster. "Scarlet, it's time for you to get some rest." Lacie smiled at the two of us.

"Okay…" was all I could really manage. I couldn't argue anymore. There was a pounding that settling in my temples. "Good night you two," was the last thing she said before she left us.

Jake had pulled the blanket off of me and was rearranging the pillows so that I could lay down, one of his hands still held me up. My whole body continued to ache, thankfully Lacie had healed all my cuts before everyone left. But the pain was numbed, my mind distracted my the feeling of Jake's hand on me. The feeling coupled with the pounding was making me dizzy.

"Thank you," I covered his hand with mine. Jake froze. The current flowed from his hand, through my palm, and into my torso. The sensation warmed my body, but for some reason made my stomach churn. In a good way or bad way, I wasn't sure...

I looked up and found that he was watching me. "It's no big deal." I could feel my face begin to grow warm as he held my gaze. My entire body began to tingle. My heartbeat picked up and I was suddenly very aware of how close we were to each other.

"Okay, Scar," Abby walked through the door with my orange tote. Jake instantly let go of me and backed away. Disappointment clearly on his face. Abby stopped and looked at the both of us, "did I interrupt something?"

"No," I cleared my throat and readjusted myself with a grimace. She watched Jake excused himself and made his way out of the room, "Okay..." She slowly made her way over to me, "I brought you pajamas, toothbrush, hairbrush, shower stuff, and some books to keep you occupied."

"Thank you," I smiled up at her, grateful. "Where's your stuff?" I looked around.

"Yeah, about that...." She looked guilty.

"Please tell me you're staying here with me," I pleaded.

"Embry and I are gonna go out tonight."

"What?! You're joking." She just smiled a guilty smile, "He actually asked me yesterday.."

"Abby, seriously?" I sighed, completely disappointed. "Can't you take a rain check or something?"

"No, I can't take a rain check," she nearly glared at me. "Besides, Lacie said I can't stay the night."

"Since when do you listen to what you're told?" I muttered.

"Oh come on, Scar. It's just one night," she sat on the bed beside me and took one of my hands.

"It just so happens to be the night that I'm on bed rest. Please, you have to stay the night with me." I looked over at her and begged. I couldn't be left alone. Not tonight. I couldn't think of an excuse to tell Jake earlier, there is no way that I would be able to think of what to say now. I'd be completely cornered.

"Jake's here to take care of you."

"No, I can't-"

"You guys seemed pretty cozy two seconds ago," Abby rolled her eyes at me. My cheeks burned again. I tried to ignore the feeling and took a deep breath, "Abby, please."

"Scarlet, you'll be fine. Call me if you have any serious problems," Abby stood up and began to make her way over the door.

"I'm having a serious problem right now!"

"No you're not. Stop being selfish," she rolled her eyes and glared at me.

"Selfish?!" I gasped. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Out of everyone in the world, I would've thought that Abby would be to one to stay by my side. She's been boy crazy before, but even in the past she's stayed by my side. "How is wanting my best friend to spend the night with me when I fell off a cliff being selfish?" If anyone should be accused of being selfish, it should be her.

"Oh, it wasn't a cliff." She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes again. I just stopped. I was stunned. I was completely floored. I stared into her eyes and tried to find some rhyme or reason in them, but came out with nothing.

"It's fine, just go." I turned my head, just wanting the conversation to be over.

"Thanks," she dropped my tote by the bed, "Night." I didn't even respond, I just listened to the sound of her walking down the hall and out the front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who has support this story. Please let me know what you think, like, or hate.

Comment, Rate, Subscribe!