My Tattooed Angel

First Day

Matt's leaving right before the show. I almost wish he could be there, but he can't. Matt is pretty much family to me. I've been living with him since the end of tenth grade. This is going to be hard for me. Val head's out the door, Matt starts to follow but then stops and walks back to me.

"Don't let me miss a thing." Matt says handing me his video camera.
"That includes tonight." He says walking to the door.

Great, not I have to worry about screwing up on film. Matt's not helping me here. I look down at myself, I better get dressed. I forgot that I'm going to be on a live stage, I'm still in my pajama's for heaven's sake. I dig threw my stuff and find one of my shirts from Brian's clothing line. I throw that on with some back jeans and my converse. I grab the camera before heading out the door with Brian.

"What's that for?" He asks.

"Matt wants me to record stuff that happens when he's gone, including tonights show." I say.

"You'll do great." Brian says putting his arm around me.

"I hope so." I say.

"Nice shirt by the way." Brian says.

"Thanks." I laugh.

We head backstage and get ready to get on stage. In my head I plan what I'm going to say to the crowd before we get started, just in case everyone in the audience wasn't at last nights concert. I get the que to head on stage. I press record on the camera and walk on stage.

"Hey. Um...I'm Katie. Your probably wondering where Matt is, well he's not going to be here for a while. So until he gets back, I'm singing in his place." I say.

At that moment I was expecting to hear an array of booing, but to my surprise, the crowed is silent. The guys start to play Critical Acclaim, and before I know it, I'm singing along. Soon enough the crowed gets into it. It took them a couple seconds to get use to my voice instead of Matt's. Matt wanted us to do most of the songs off the new album, even though it's not going to be released for a while. For the last song of the night, I suggested that we play Warmness on the Soul for Matt and Val.

"This last song is going to be for Matt and Val back home, so if you know the words, sing along. It would mean a lot to me." I say.

Brian starts the piano part and I start to sing. The crowed starts to sing along, Matt's going to love this. As soon as we get back on the bus, I get on my laptop and put tonights footage on my computer. I don't even bother watching it.

Hey Matt,
Here's the footage from tonight. I haven't watched it yet so...expect the unexpected.
Love ya forever - Katie

I send Matt the e-mail and close my laptop. Joey comes flying in from the lounge. He perches on the railing.

"Eat it, eat it." He says.

"Your one special little bird." I say stroking his back.

"Eat it." Joey says flying off.

I raise my eyebrow, why did that have to be the first sentence he learned. Why not something sweet like, I love you. Oh well, that's what separates Joey from other birds. Brian climbs up the bunk. I smile and he sits next to me.

"I love you." Brian says in a sweet voice while wrapping his arms around me.

"I love you too." I say turning his head with my finger and kissing him.

"Soon your going to be Mrs. Katie Haner." Brian says.

"I know, and I can't wait." I say.