My Tattooed Angel

Fedora-Phobia?

Chance's stomach growls, which wakes me up. Brian is leaning on the rubber bar giving me priceless look. Chance is already awake. I pick pick my head off Chance's stomach, and he stands up. Brian reaches his hand down and helps me up.

"Nice hair." Brian says picking a piece of straw out of my messy pony-tail.

"That's what I get for sleeping in a stall." I laugh.
"Come in here, I want you two to be friends." I say.

Brian ducks under the bar. Chance tenses up. Brian reaches his hand to Chance's nose. Chance backs up a bit.

"Don't be shy." I say patting his shoulder.

Brian reaches hand to Chance again, Chance freaks out and tries to bite him. Chance never tried to bite anyone. He'll nibble at your shirt if your not careful, but that's about it.

"I'm not feeling the love." Brian says backing up a step.

"Brian, he's usually really gentle." I say.

Chance puts his head on my shoulder. I kiss his nose. Brian gives me a weird look. Chance takes his head off my shoulder and walks to his feed bin. I hear a car pull up the driveway.

"Brian, who's that?" I ask.

"Let's go see." Brian says stepping under the bar.

I follow Brian out of the stable. That looks like Matt's car. Matter of fact, it is. Matt gets out of the car. Val follows him with Emma in her arms.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I heard you got Chance back." Matt says.

"Yeah, wanna see him?" I ask.

"What do you think we're here for?" Matt asks.

Brian and I walk Val and Matt to Chance's stall. Brian keeps his distance. They got off to a bad start.

"This is Chance? Wow..." Matt says.

"He was neglected, but thanks to Brian, he's safe now." I say.

"Come here boy." Matt says putting his hand in the stall.

Chance walks over, sniffs Matt's hand and licks it. Matt scratches behind his ear, Chance loves that.

Matt and Val leave. This has to be proof to Brian that Chance isn't violent. Brian looks at his watch.

"I'm gonna get us some food OK?" Brian asks.

"Good, I'm starving." I say.

Brian leaves in his truck. I look over at Chance, he needs more food. I head down the isle of horses to the feed room. I return to Chances stall with a bucket of feed, which he gobbles up immediately. After he finishes he walks to the bar. He pulls his halter off the hook and throws it at me.

"Oh I get it, you wanna go for a walk." I say.

I slip the hater on and put a lead rope on it. I walk him to a grassy spot next to the driveway. I sit down and let him graze.

"To tell you the truth, I thought I'd never see you again. I cried so much when Jay sold you. I glad I have you back old buddy. Remember when I use to ride you bareback though the fields, or when I'd just canter you around the arena. I hope we'll be able to do that again." I say.

Brian's truck comes up the driveway. Chance picks his head up and his ears go up. He watches the truck as it rolls to a stop. Brian gets out of the car. Chance pins his ears back. I stand up.

"Come on boy." I say leading him back to the barn.

I put Chance back in his stall. Brian walks into the stable with a plastic bag. Chance paws the ground.

"Apple salad OK?" Brian asks.

"Perfect, thanks." I say.

I sit next to Chances stall. Brain sits across from me on the other side of the barn. I hope this doesn't continue. I take a hand full of apple pieces from my salad and give them to Chance.

"Come one Brian, he won't hurt you." I say.

"Nope, not risking it." Brian says.

I put my plastic container down and stand up. I walk up to Brian and stare down at him. He takes another bite of his sandwich.

"What if I take this?" I ask taking his black fedora off his head and putting it on my own.

I stand next to Chance's stall and reach my hand to pet his nose, he snaps at me. I take a step back and Brian runs to my side. Chance nuzzles Brian's side.

"Wait a minute." I say putting Brian's fedora back on his head.
"Try petting him." I say.

Brian puts his hand up to Chances nose and he snaps at him.

"I think we found our problem, our Chance is afraid of fedoras." I say taking the hat and throwing it on Brian's stuff.

"There's my friendly boy." I say rustling his forelock.
"Here, try feeding him." I say handing Brian a piece of apple.
"Hold your hand flat and let him take it." I say.

"OK." Brian says doing what he's told.

Brian smiles as Chances tongue scrapes agented his hand. They're friends now, and I couldn't be happier.