My Tattooed Angel

Keep Your Hands Off My Girl

Even though we're home for a couple weeks, Brian has some band thing to do the day. I think I'll head over to the stable and check on Chance. It's been a couple months since I've seen him. Lisa told me he's been doing well, so we'll see. Brian took the truck, so I take the bus to the stable. I would take the motorcycle but one, it would scare the horses and two, I can't drive that thing for shit. The bus drops me off at the drive way and I walk the rest of the way up. I left Brian a note for if he gets home before me, which will probably happen. I walk into the barn, it's neat and tidy as always. I walk to Chance's stall, he's getting a drink from his bucket. I'm completely speechless, he looks great. Taped to the wall next to his stall is a note.

Katie,
I knew that one of these days you would come down here. Chance is now a perfectly healthy weight and the gash on his leg has healed completely. I've been lunging him, he has so much energy. I still have all of your riding equipment from years back, why don't you try to at least get a saddle and bridle on him, see where you get to from there. If you need a different girth use whatever is in the tack room.
-Lisa.

I haven't ridden a horse in years. I don't think Chance has had a person on his back in while ether, considering we found him in the condition he was in. I look at Chance, his neck is hanging over the rubber bar wanting attention. I smile and pet his nose.

"Wanna give it a try boy?" I ask.

Chance just looks at me wit his big brown eyes, I'm gonna take that as a yes. I take him out to the cross-ties and groom him. Lisa must have been keeping him clean, he's not as bad as I though as he would be. I missed the bonding that grooming gave a horse and rider. I get my saddle, it's been cleaned and oiled recently...so has my bridle. At first he's really tense but after a couple seconds remembers the feeling. I put on a helmet and walk Chance into the outdoor ring. Even though I'm only 5"5, I can get on him from the ground. I adjust my stirrups and give him a pat on the shoulder. I give him a little squeeze and he walks forward. I forgot how awesome sitting on top a horses back is. After I walk him a round the ring a couple times I get him into a energetic trot. Lisa's right, he is energetic. I trot him over a couple raised poles. He wants to canter so bad, so I let him. He's always had a really nice smooth canter. I even get him over a couple simple jumps, he hasn't lost his touch. I look over at the gate and notice Brian leaning on the fence, watching me. I smile and canter Chance agented the fence until I reach the gate.

"How long have you been there?" I ask pulling Chance to a stop.

"I just got here a couple minutes ago. Who's horse is that?" Brian asks.

"Ours." I say.

"That's Chance? Wow, he looks great."

"I know...big improvement from a couple months ago." I say.

I dismount Chance and lead him to the driveway. Brian walks beside me as I walk Chance back into the barn. After I remove his tack, I realize that Chance needs a bath.

"Hey Brian, wanna help me out?" I ask leading Chance outside to the side of the barn.

"Sure. What do I need to do?" Brian asks.

"Keep him still." I say handing Brian the black lead rope.

"Sure, but what for?" Brian asks.

"Chance's getting a bath." I say walking back into the stable to get a sponge and shampoo.

"You better not enjoy this too much." Brian says.

"Aw...is the legendary Synyster Gates jealous of a thirteen year old gelding?" I ask coming back with a bottle of shampoo and a sponge in hand.

"Maybe..." Brian says.

I laugh and turn on the hose. Chance loves baths, maybe a little too much. I hose him down, he shakes his head and neck in pleasure...almost knocking Brian over. I soap him up and rinse. Chance shakes getting the excess water all over Brian and I.

"That's my boy." I say patting his shoulder.
"Come on, you deserve a good grazing." I say taking the lead rope from Brian.

Brian follows me to Chance's favorite patch of grass in the front lawn. I swing the rope over his withers and sit down.

"Your just gonna sit there?" Brian asks.

"Yeah, he's not going anywhere. Come here." I say patting the ground next to me.

Brian sits down next to me. I scoot next to him and wrap my arms around his shoulders. Brian turns his head and kisses me. I kiss him back and make the moment perfect. Chance snorts and pushes Brian forward with his face. I look back at Chance, he has that "Keep you hands off my girl" face that he makes when Brian touches me in any way. Brian looks back at Chance and sits next to me again. Chance goes back to grazing like he did nothing. Brian gives looks at me, I can't help but laugh.