My Tattooed Angel

Runaway

When I first brought Chance over to Lisa's, we made a deal. If I supervised Erin, a 12 year old girl who boards her horse, I could keep Chance at the stable for free. Besides me, Erin is the only other person that boards here. The rest of the horses are Lisa's. I try to do as much as I can, but since I'm always touring with Syn, it's sort of hard. Luckily Lisa understands and lets it go if I can't come. Erin goes to the back of the barn to get her Grey Arabian Gelding, Camden. I hear a car come down the driveway.

"Who's that?" Erin asks bringing Camden down the barn.

I look out the Barn door. There's a truck coming down the driveway, that must be Brian. I walk back into the barn to Erin.

"It's just Brian." I say.

"Brian? Is he your boyfriend or something?" Erin asks.

"He's my husband." I say petting Camden's nose.

"Wow, you are old." Erin jokes.

"I'm only 27." I say.

A loud obnoxious sound comes from the tack room. I think a saddle fell off a rack. Camden gets spooked and rears up, tearing the lead rope from Erin. He bolts full speed out of the stable. Erin and I run to the door. Camden's headed straight for the truck. Brian swerves hitting a tree next to the driveway. I look over at Chance and run over to his stall. I take down the rubber bar and head him out by his halter. I volt onto his back and give him a gentle kick, which gets him into a gallop. Brian's now out of the truck examining the damage. I give Chance another squeeze and make him go full speed. I have to get Camden before he gets into the road. Chance is a pure-bread Thoroughbred, he was built for speed. We catch up to Camden and I reach for his lead rope. I grab it and pull him to a stop. I get off Chance and get a full hold of Camden. Chance will follow me, Camden won't.

"Good boy, Chance." I say patting his shoulder.

This just shows how strong out bond is. I just galloped him full speed, so saddle, no bridle. Just me and him. We slowly get up the driveway. When I reach the truck, Brian walks next to me.

"Do you know how fast you were going?" Brian asks.

"Never mind how fast i was going, are you OK?" I ask.

"I am, can't say the same for the truck." Brian says.

"Well a tree is better then a horse running over thirty miles an hour." I say.

"True." Brian says.

We continue up to the stable. Erin's standing in the doorway, the way I left her. I hand her Camden's lead rope.

"Thanks Katie, that was awesome." Erin says.

"No problem. Not bad for an old lady, eh?" I ask.

"No." Erin Laughs.

"Before I forget. Brian, this is Erin. Erin this is Brian." I Say.

"Hey." Brian says shaking her hand.

"Hi." Erin shyly says.

"Alright, how about you get Camden all ready. I'm gonna go put Chance away." I say.

"Ok." Erin says heading to the cross ties.

I walk Chance though his stall. I reach into my pocket and take out a peppermint. I place it in my hand and Chance takes it.

"You did good boy." I say giving him a scratch behind the ear.

I walk back out to Erin and Brian. Brian's on the phone with triple A. They're gonna pick up the truck and fix it up. Erin gets Camden tacked up and leads him to the arena. Brian and I watch her by the fence. Lisa comes out of her house.

"Is everything OK? I heard a lot of commotion?" Lisa asks.

"Nothing much. Camden bolted and Chance and I went after him." I say.

"Nothing much, eh?" Lisa asks.

"Nope." I say.

"Well I'm glad everyone's OK." Lisa says heading back into the house.

Brian puts his arm around my neck, and we continue to watch Erin. She's a really good rider. Camden's a good horse too. After a while both Erin and Camden get tired. Her mom picks her up and Brian and I are left alone. I walk over to Chance's stall, he's just relaxing. I duck under the bar and hug his neck.

"Your a good boy." I say.

"A fast one too." Brian says leaning on the bar.

I kiss the side of Chance's face and walk out of the stall to Brian. I forget that we don't have the truck. We end up taking the bus home, which is what I usually do If Brian had the truck.