All the Smiles That Are Ever Gonna Haunt Me

Chapter One

It was his first day at his new school. The school wasn't great, but he couldn't complain; it was better than his old one.

"What do you want?" scowled the lady at the office desk.

"Um, it's my first day here," were his first few shy words, "and I was told I would need to come to the office before anything else."

"Name?" she asked as she looked down at the papers, muffling her voice.

"Pardon?"

"Your name," she looked up, "what do people call you?"

"Oh," he said, turning a bit red because he was sorry that he hadn't heard properly the first time, "Frank Iero."

"Hang on, we have somebody to show you around." The lady walked away and Frank heard her talking to somebody else. A man soon walked out from the office and the lady returned.

"Sit down," she commanded as she pointed to some chairs near the corner, "somebody's going to get him now." Frank, afraid of the office lady's wrath, went and sat in one of the chairs.

It had only been about five minutes before this man returned with a student.

"Hi," he said without the expression on his face changing, "I'm Mikey."

"I'm Frank," he extended his hand to shake Mikey's, who warily put his hand out, not knowing what to expect.

"So I've been told I have to show you around this school," Frank nodded, "well, I guess we should get started."

It took about half an hour; the school wasn't that big, but Mikey insisted on giving a little story on every place they visited. Frank didn't mind, though, as it meant less time for his orientation thing, and he was sure Mikey was doing it just to get out of class.

"Do you have a locker yet?" asked Mikey at the end.

"Oh, no," Frank realised, "I don't."

"Really? Didn't they give you a little piece of paper?"

"Right, they did." Frank dug deep into his pockets until he found a slip of paper and handed it right over to Mikey.

"Oh, your locker is right near mine." Mikey walked off, expecting Frank to follow. Not too long after, they arrived at what seemed like the worst locker bay in the school; it was dirty, with rubbish thrown across the ground like it wasn't going to make a difference to the planet.

"This one here," Mikey said as he tapped the top of the locker. As soon as he gave the paper back, Frank was already working out the combination and shoving everything into the locker as though there was no tomorrow.

"What class do you have first?" Mikey snatched an A4 size piece of paper from Frank and began reading, "Maths? Hey, you're in my class." Mikey helped shove the last of Frank's possessions into the locker before Frank grabbed out any random book he could see and the two walked off to class.

As the two walked into the classroom, a blonde girl looked over and smiled which, in turn, gave Mikey a little smirk. She moved over one seat so that both Frank and Mikey could sit down.

"Frank, this is Hannah, my girlfriend, and, Hannah, this is Frank."

"Hello," she smiled brightly.

Frank smiled back with a little, "hey."

Of course, there wasn't much of the class left, so the three just sat and talked the whole time. Recess was afterwards, so the three walked to their lockers, with Mikey and Hannah exchanging a few kisses before having to leave each other.

"Hey," pointed Mikey, off into the distance, "there's my brother. Hey, Gerard!" he called out as loud as possible. One of the boys stopped walking and looked around, smiling.

"I see you have a new friend," Gerard said happily, "hi, I'm Gerard, Mikey's brother."

"I'm Frank," he replied shyly. The two seemed so different; while Mikey was as emotionless as a brick wall, Gerard seemed to express his happiness through words, actions and his facial expressions, which made Frank smile; all of his friends at the old school had been like this.

The three walked to their lockers and, in fact, carried out the rest of their school day happily.