Status: Active...somewhat slowly, but surely. :)

Where You Belong

Good News.

Image

Grunting, I staggered up the steps of the front porch, struggling to keep the several bags I held in my grasp. Each was loaded down with stuff and extremely heavy, making my trip from the car all the more difficult. Luckily the door was already unlocked, so with a soft flick of my wrist, I'd turned the knob and pushed the door open, dropping the bags in the doorway.

"She comes back baring groceries!" Brian cried, looking over at me from the hallway with a grin.

I giggled, "That I do. Now come help me get all of them before I pass out."

Brian sighed dramatically before coming to my side, picking the grocery bags up from my feet and carrying them to the kitchen. I could hear him cry out in excitement, meaning that he was more than likely going through the contents in each bag.

Michelle then popped out of the kitchen, rolling her eyes as she shot me a smile, "Hey, girl. Need some help?"

I smiled, pulling her into a hug before shaking my head, "Not at all when we have a house full of strong men!" I exclaimed pointedly, making sure that my voice was clearly heard over the TV going in the living room.

It didn't take long for a large group of men to pile into the hallway, causing me to grin widely. All the guys were there, plus some familiar faces, though I didn't know anyone personally. Zack rounded the corner with Mason under his arm as he blew spit bubbles.

He grinned and came to my side, pushing his lips into mine the second he reached me, "You're back. What took you so long, baby?"

I smirked, motioning in the direction of the door as I took Mason from him, "If you lovely gentlemen would step outside then I'm sure you'll have your answer."

"IT'S FOOD! SHE BOUGHT THE WHOLE GODDAMNED STORE, I TELL YOU!"

From the sound of Jimmy's voice, my guess was that he'd already slipped outside and taken a look at the inside of my trunk, as well as the backseat. I didn't have to say another thing as the herd of men bolted out of the room, chattering happily amongst themselves as they surrounded my car outside.

Meanwhile, Michelle and I retreated to the kitchen, where Brian was shoveling cookies into his mouth. Under normal circumstances, I would've reached over and popped his hand, but I was just too damn tired to do it. As if reading my mind, Michelle turned and smacked him upside the head, causing him to whine lightly.

"Bri, you'd eat everything in sight if I'd let you," Michelle scolded playfully, slapping his ass.
Brian gasped, "That's not me, that's Zack!"

"Syn, man, don't be mad cause eating doesn't get you an ass like this," Zack taunted smugly, heaving a few bags of his own into the kitchen and dropping them on the island.

Within minutes, all of Zack's friends were in the kitchen and digging through the bags as Michelle and I directed them as to where to put each item. They didn't seem to mind that much, and my guess was that the guys had told them about my cooking, and they were hoping to get a meal. I didn't mind the task, as cooking for Zack alone was like preparing a feast for a king. It wouldn't hurt to make several extras.

"So, what's the plan?" Michelle asked knowingly, looking over at me as everyone else exited the kitchen, "Burgers, hot dogs, steak, ribs...?"

I tapped my chin in thought, "I'm not sure...how about barbeque chicken and...burgers? Steak, maybe?"

"Why don't we fucking cook everything while we're at it?" Michelle drawled sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

I giggled, "Why not keep it simple then? Lasagna, salad, and Texas toast?"

Michelle smirked, "Woman, I like the way you think."

"You should," I nodded smugly, "Cause if I don't cook, then you'll certainly have to go home and cook anyway."

"Good point," she muttered, causing me to giggle.

"Alright, then, DB. Let's get to it." I grinned, holding up a three baking pans.

I wasn't quite sure what the guys and all the rest of Zack's friends were here for, but they kept busy for the hour and a half or so that Michelle and I worked on dinner in the kitchen. We mixed the ricotta cheese, browned the meat before adding it to the sauce, and added a few of our own spices to the mix while we were at it.

Once the main ingredients were straightened out, we got right to work. We layered the pans first with the pasta, then the meat, then the ricotta mixture. We repeated the pattern until the pans were filled, and ended it with a final layer of pasta. Once the pans were completely finished, we covered them in shredded cheddar cheese before sticking them in the oven. It would be a bit before they were ready to serve.

"You know the guys will freak out if there's no dessert," Michelle noted, taking a seat at the island as I rinsed off the spoons and bowls we'd used in the sink, "Especially Brian and Johnny."

I snorted, "Spoiled bastards."

"I wonder whose fault that is?" she countered with a smirk, "Because I sure as hell don't serve them ten-course meals like you do."

I stuck my tongue out at her, "They're not ten-course meals!"

"Well, it's always enough to cover ten courses!" she laughed.

I scoffed, shaking my head, "I just like to make sure that everyone has their choice and is full when they finish eating."

That had her laughing even harder, "Sure, Britt. Whatever you say."

I grumbled incoherently under my breath, "Well, pick a fucking dessert then, dammit!"

"Pie and ice cream?" she suggested, and I frowned.

"I don't have all the stuff to make a pie."

'To make one? I was talking about Mrs. Smith's pies or something! Who the fuck has the time to bake a damn pie from scratch?!"

I shrugged, "It's fun. Mine taste better anyway."

Michelle rolled her eyes, "Well, I'm improvising. Scrub the damn dishes then make the bread. Brian has a fucking internal clock and he'll know when the lasagna is ready. So I suggest we have everything else ready by then, too."

It was just starting to get dark outside when everything seemed to be finished. I balanced a pan on each of my hands while Michelle carried the third. Walking slowly, I carefully stepped outside where everyone was gathered. They cheered upon seeing the two of us. and I smiled as they cleared the table to make room for the food.

"I told you she'd cook, man!" Johnny all but squealed with excitement, slapping Brian on the back of the neck.

One man, covered in tattoos and dark clothing like the rest, smiled over at me, "It smells delicious, Britt."

I cocked an eyebrow but smiled back nonetheless, "Thank you. I hope y'all enjoy it."

"We always enjoy it," Zack said, and I turned to face him with a smirk.

"Where's Mason?" I asked, noting that my son wasn't in Zack's arms for once. I looked around before his soft giggle met my ears, and turned in the direction of his laughter.

"Joel's got him," Zack nodded, pulling me over to the few men whom I didn't know, "Guys, this is my girlfriend, Brittany. Britt, this is Joel Madden, Benji Madden, Paul Thomas, Billy Martin, and Dean Butterworth."

I smiled, reaching over to shake each of their hands, winking at Mason, who sat happily in Benji's lap, "It's nice to meet y'all. I see you've met Mason already."

Benji smiled sheepishly, "I'm sorry, I probably should've asked before I--"

"It's fine, no worries. He's a people person, so knowing him, he pitched a fit so that he could sit with you. My baby's a spoiled brat," I grinned, tapping Mason's nose. A smile spread across his face as his infectious laughter warmed my heart. The group of men laughed as well.

"He's like the calmest baby I've ever seen," Billy chuckled, and I smiled with pride.

I sighed dramatially, "I'm hoping it lasts through his terrible two's. Don't jinx us!" I joked, waving to the group as I walked back towards Michelle.

Taking a spatula from her, I began cutting the lasagnas as she went back inside the get the bread. By the time I'd finished cutting through all three pans, she'd brought out the bread and salad, and was starting on getting drinks for everyone. I then took the time to load up everyone's plates, knowing that if I let them do it, they'd make one hell of a mess.

"HELL YES!" Johnny screeched as I handed him his plate, moving to dig right in.

I slapped his hand and he yelped, "Wait til everyone's served, Johnny. And I hope some of y'all are thanking the Lord for this meal, cause I guarantee you, you won't find a meal like this anywhere else." I announced pointedly, causing some of the men to chuckle in response.

"She's right," Michelle smirked in Brian's direction, "Count those blessings, Haner."

Needless to say, the men quickly lapsed into a small moment of silence, some bowing their heads in prayer, others staring hungrily at their plates. Zack had already dug in regardless, groaning Thank you, Jesus repetitively through each mouthful.

Shaking my head, I took Mason from Benji so that he'd be free to eat. Holding babies and eating food wasn't easy, especially since Mason had learned within the last month and a half to sit up and reach for things. It seemed like in the two months after Christmas, he'd started growing like a weed. He was already past his ideal weight, and I wasn't even feeding him that much! At least...I didn't think I was. Zack and the others may have been another story. And my mom, and Zack's mom...and Matt's mom...and the girls...fuck. I was pretty sure that everyone was overfeeding my poor baby but me.

"Dude, she's a fucking keeper," Dean grinned through a mouthful of bread, causing Zack to smile proudly.

I rolled my eyes as he puffed out his chest and wrapped an arm around my middle, "Don't I know it!"

"Well, you guys have fun out here. We're gonna head inside and eat there," Michelle smiled, causing me to arch an eyebrow. We were? She threw me a look, and I sighed. I guess we were.

"If y'all need anything, just let me know." I grinned, watching as Brian took Mason from me and sat him down on his lap, holding him with one hand and finishing up his plate with the other.

With that, Michelle and I fixed our own plates and walked back inside the house, getting comfortable in the living room. I brought Mason's high chair in and sat him down, handing him a bottle. He struggled to hold onto it, but managed...barely. His fine motor skills were still developing, and I knew it wouldn't be much longer before he completely had the hang of it.

"So, how are things?" Michelle asked, throwing me a nochalant expression.

"That's what you dragged me in here for?" I guessed, fixing her with an unimpressed look.

She shrugged, "Maybe. Soooo?"

I sighed with a shrug of my own, "So, things are good."

"Just good?"

"Fine, they're amazing."

"That's more like it!" she grinned, "I wanna know, I wanna know! Tell me everything! Dish!"

I raised a brow, "Sure, Leana--"

She rolled her eyes, "Oh just get to it already!"

That's more like her.

"And say what?" I asked honestly. What could I say that she didn't already know?

"Well, for starters, you moved in!" she exclaimed happily, digging into her plate, "It's been like two months. How does it feel?"

"It feels the same?" I asked unsurely, not sure what kind of point she was making.

She scoffed loudly, "I know for a fact that it isn't the same, cause Zacky isn't the same."

"He isn't?" I frowned, tilting my head to the side.

She shook her head, "Nope. And neither are you."

Now I was really confused, "I'm not?"

And there went her signature eye-roll, "Of course not. You two are...happier, if that's even possible. God knows, Zacky constantly mentions your name and 'house' in the same sentence. He loves you and Mason staying here with him."

I chuckled, "We practically lived here before, Chelle. We were over here all the time."

"It's not the same thing to men, Britt. You actually have stuff here, now. Like, in his closet rather than in the guest room. He gets to get up every day and see your things mixed with his when he goes to get dressed. Then he goes to the bathroom and he sees your make up, and your body wash in the shower. That type of stuff. It's a sign that you come home to him every night, and men love that feeling."

"I guess that makes sense," I shrugged, finishing my plate as I looked over at Mason, watching as he happily sucked away at his bottle, "I love being here, though. I always have. I've always felt so comfortable around Zack, or just from being surrounded by his scent. Knowing that I'll always be around him is a good feeling, despite how quickly our relationship has developed."

Michelle rolled her eyes, "Britt, your relationship has honestly been like, ten years in the making. Officially, it's only about five months old, but look at how long you've known each other! How long you've...uknowingly harbored feelings for one another."

I chuckled, "You've got a point."

"Exactly!" she smiled triumphantly, setting her empty dish aside, "I'm just glad you two are happy after all this time. You both deserve it."

I can't say that a rare sweet moment from Michelle didn't warm my heart, "Aww, Chelle!" I cooed, leaning forward and pulling her into a tight hug as I held back a few tears. She giggled, reaching a hand up to rub my back.

Pulling away from her, I looked at her and smiled. Michelle had always been there for me, despite how she might've come off to other people. I knew her, and she was an amazing best friend. I could only hope that she and Brian would have a long, happy and healthy relationship, as they were perfect for each other. She mellowed out his wild antics, while he softened her tough exterior. They made each other better people.

Reaching up and running a hand through her head, she moved to continue, "So, I was thinking--"

"WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHAT'S THAT?!" I shrieked, grabbing hold of her hand as a sparkle flashed before my eyes. I felt my heart drop as I stared at the rather large rock sitting on her ring finger, "Ch-Chelle, is this what I think it--"

"Yes!" she squealed, and an involuntary, earthshattering scream left my lips, sending Mason into hysterics, "He proposed last night and I said yes!"

"Are you fucking kidding me?! You let me walk around, make small talk and fix dinner before you decided to tell me this?!" I hissed, picking up Mason and patting his back as he wailed at the top of his lungs.

Just then, the door slammed as Zack came running inside, a frantic expression on his face. I'm sure it was quite a sight; Michelle giggling as I gaped and paced about the room, Mason screeching as though someone had shot his puppy.

"What the hell is going on in here?" Jimmy asked with curiosity, eyeing Michelle and I as he took Mason from me, bouncing him in his arms in effort to calm him down.

I looked to Brian and saw his smile, and it was then that I knew that he'd been aware of the conversation Michelle and I were having. I kept my gaze trained on him, willing myself not to burst into tears as I ran up to him, pulling him into a tight hug, "Aww, Bri! I'm so happy for you two, I really am!" I cried, yanking his face towards mine and kissing his cheeks repeatedly.

"Thanks, Britt." He laughed, wrapping his arms around me and spinning me in a circle or two as I clung to him. Brian had been the first of the guys that I'd met, and so he was more like family to me than anyone else. He was like my brother. I wouldn't have the friends or boyfriend that I had today without meeting them through him.

"C'mere, babe," Zack chuckled, pulling me from Brian and wrapping me up in his own arms, "You can't suffocate the man before he has his chance to get hitched, now can you?"

I sighed, "I guess not," I answered, looking over at my sniffling child and pulling him into my arms, "Sorry Mommy scared you, baby. She got a little excited." I giggled, pressing a kiss to his soft skin. His giggle resounded through the room and I smiled.

"I knew you'd flip out," Matt chuckled, and I turned to glare at him, "What?"

"You all knew!" I gaped, placing a hand on my hip as I cradled Mason to my chest with the other, "Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"You got here last," Johnny shrugged, "Chillax, the other girls don't know, either. Well, except for Val. She probably knows."

I made a move to argue with him, but Zack squeezed my hip gently. I sighed, shaking my head as I playfully glared at Michelle, "You sit right here. I'll be back."

With that, I dashed up the stairs, Zack following closely behind me. Once I reached Mason's nursery, I cut the lamp on in the corner of the room and sat down on the couch the Zack had recently moved into the room. It seemed that people loved being with Mason in here, and usually, more than one person would come and sit with him in here. It just made more sense to have a couch to acomodate the traffic.

"It's about that time, little man," Zack sighed, taking Mason from my arms and checking his diaper. With a frown, he silently handed him back to me, causing me to giggle.

"Mommy will do it," I cooed as Zack began handing me the things I would need to change Mason's diaper, "Somebody has to keep you from smelling stinky all the time, huh?"

Mason flashed me a cute smile as I unsnapped his onesie and began working on his diaper. Zack blew out a long breath as the stench in the air worsened, and I simply smiled as I wiped him clean. Balling the dirty wipes in the dirty diaper, I then handed it all to Zack with a smile before taking Mason and walking towards our room.

Since Mason was awake, I figured the I could go ahead and give him a bath without having to get in with him. I set him down in the tub as I ran a little water for him, Zack appearing by my side and tossing in some bubbles. Mason's eyes lit up as he watched the bubbles form, laughing happily as they rose around him.

One thing I could say about my boy was that he loved a bath like a fat kid loved cake. He happily flapped his hands about in the water, splashing water and soap suds all over Zack and I as we bathed him. Well, I bathed Mason, and Zack kept Mason occupied. In a matter of minutes, he was all clean and covered up in one of his Buzz Lightyear towels, the bathwater draining as I began lathering him in baby lotion.

"I'm gonna run downstairs real quick, then I'll be back up here," Zack mumbled, kissing my cheek before jogging downstairs.

I put Mason in a clean diaper before dressing him in a simple lightweight onesie. I then rubbed some baby oil into his hair, which was becoming brighter by the day. It was strangely curly and a light brown color, something he hadn't inherited from me, nor had he really inherited from his father. However, I worked a widetooh comb through his locks to make sure they didn't dry being tangled, and then got him ready for bed.

Humming, I made my way back to the nursery, feeling my son relax as soon as we walked inside. Zack had already put on the little mood music machine in the corner, which Mason loved dearly. His body slowly became limp in my hand, though I could tell that he was fighting to keep his little eyelids open. I knew he wouldn't be happy if I set him down in the crib before he was asleep, so I simply took a seat on the couch and rocked him in my arms.

"That was quick," Zack smiled as he walked in, Brian and Michelle quietly following behind him, "I figured these two could use the practice. What do you think?"

"Oh, I think that's a great idea. Next on their list is the baby carriage afterall," I grinned, motioning for the two of them to come sit with me on the small couch. I then handed Mason over to Michelle, moving him slowly enough so that it wouldn't disturb him as he became sleepier and sleepier, "Just rock him and sing or something for a bit. Rub his back, pat his butt. Anything you think will calm him. Don't put him down until he's completely out."

"How will we know he's completely asleep?" Brian asked curiously, looking over at Zack for help.

"He usually grabs onto your finger when he's too tired to fight it. Once his grips loosens up and you can move your finger from him, then you know he's good," Zack answered with a smile, turning to run a hand through Mason's hair, "Be good, little man. Sleep tight."

I quickly kissed Mason's forehead before Zack and I made our exit, wanting the couple to have their own time with him. There was no telling when Brian and Michelle would end up having kids, but we'd both figured that now was a great time for them to get the feel of parenthood before things got and stayed crazy with wedding plans.

"God, I'm so excited for this!" I giggled as Zack's arms coiled around my middle from behind, "I can't wait to help plan this wedding. It'll be perfect!"

Zack's chuckle melted my insides, "They've been through hell and back to get to this point, so I know they're more than ready. I'm glad everything's worked out for them," Zack nodded in agreement as he pulled me into his chest, littering my skin with kisses.

I smiled at his touch, "I am too. They deserve it."

With a final kiss, Zack and I made our way back downstairs to the others. They were right where we'd left them, lounging around the living room and finishing the last of the food that Michelle and I had prepared. Zack was quick to jump back into the conversation, while I stayed quiet.

The news of Brian and Michelle's engagement had me so excited that I couldn't sit still. I'd missed Matt and Val's wedding when I'd been off in college, but I would be lucky enough to not only witness Jimmy and Leana's wedding, but now Brian and Michelle's, too. I was so ecstatic that my friends were all getting what they finally deserved, and were all happy. That was all I wanted for them.

Now, it was just Johnny and Lacey that were left. And technically, Zack and I, too. I knew it would be a long time before either of us ever legitimately thought about marriage, if ever, given the fact that we hadn't even been dating for six months yet. However long we may have known each other, and however fast our relationship may have moved, it was still something completely new to us.

If there was one thing about our relationship that I didn't want to rush, it was an engagement and a marriage.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh, here we go.
I know it's a tad bit short, but I'm hoping to get another update or two in tomorrow, so fear not!
I'm thinking about another WYB update and then a LCBD update, too. Depending on how much I get done and all, y'know?
Well, I hope you guys enjoyed. And will comments.
Si, gracias. :D