Cursed

Kieran.

I got teased a lot when I was younger because I stood out. I liked wearing things that were bright and caught someone’s eye in an instant. I liked being loud and having attention on me. I talked about weird things, like aliens, fairies and ghosts. The kids thought I was weird and teased me but it never bothered me. I liked what I was. I liked being weird.

Dad always told me, “Be who you are but be prepared for the crap.”

What he said was true. People didn’t like it when you weren’t their way, did what they wanted, said what they wanted. If someone stood out there was or is always someone there to pick on them for it. I remember being called names and pushed around for always standing out but I never let it bother me. I took all their crap and ignored it because to me, none of their opinions really mattered.

But there are times, like now, where I wish I was a little normal. As I stare up at the new house in a new town I can’t help but wonder if I’ll be able to make any friends at all. I’m already a senior in high school. Back home I had a lot of friends because I’ve known them since I was a kid but here…I don’t know anyone.

I always lived in the suburbs just outside the city so moving here is a bit weird. It’s a small country town that has only one road in and one road out. We’re surrounded by tree’s and mountains…there’s nature everywhere. I never had such a big yard before!

The people all seem friendly and close, from what I’ve seen so far. From what I saw when we drove in, the school is pretty small, actually really small compared to my old one. It kind of worries me. This is the country after all. Aren’t country folks not as open minded? That’s what I’ve heard…

I bite my lip and look out my new bedroom window. Below me are the trucks, the movers going back and forth with our furniture. Mom is standing at the end of the sidewalk, a hand over the small lump forming in her stomach while she talks to an elderly woman, our new neighbor. Dad is helping the movers, already starting to sweat from the summer air.

I fall back onto my bed and look about my new room. The walls are just about finished, all of them covered in different posters of anime shows and bands. My bed is set up, the stars are on my ceiling and all that’s left is to unpack my clothes but I really have no desire to do so.

My legs feel like jelly. For once, I’m really nervous. It’s a new town. A new school. New kids. I’m normally fine when meeting new people but this is different.

“Kieran! Can you get down here and help with the packing?” Dad shouts, sounding completely breathless from work. Whining, I reluctantly make my way down the steps to the first floor where dad already has boxes waiting for me to carry up the stairs. When he sees the pout on my face, he huffs.

“But daddy,” I whine, poking on of the boxes with the tip of my shoe. “I don’t wanna move boxes.”

“I don’t care, do it.”

“Can’t you ask the gnomes to do it?”

“What gnomes?” Dad raises a curious brow.

“The gnomes that keep stealing my socks! They easily move my socks around so they can move the boxes!”

Dad sighs. “Kieran, sometimes I wonder about you…”

Grinning, I reach down for one of the boxes and grip it, easily taking it up the stairs. Next time though, I will make the gnomes do the work. They owe me.

“So, are you ready for school tomorrow, sweetie?” Mom asks sweetly, spooning some peas onto my plate. The moment she says the dreaded word I scream in agony. Dad and mom pay no mind to my dramatics since they’ve lived with me for almost 17 years. They’re used to it.

“Don’t say it!” I cover my ears in hopes that the word would be erased from my vocabulary. “Are you trying to kill me?”

“The word ‘school’ won’t kill you, Kieran,” dad laughs, taking a bite of his steak. “Stop being a drama queen.”

Drama queen? I’m not a drama queen. I just like to over exaggerate. “Seriously though…lets not talk about school.”

“Why? Are you nervous?” Mom smiles reassuringly and reaches across the table to take my hand in hers. “Don’t worry. You’re an outgoing boy. I’m sure you’ll make friends quick.”

“Or get your ass kicked,” dad teases, earning him a stern glare from mom. I can’t help but laugh because they’re both right. I might make friends easily tomorrow or I may just get my ass handed to me. Let’s hope it’s the first choice!

After dinner I retire to my room for the night. I open my bedroom window and sit on the ledge, staring up at the sky. Back home the sky wasn’t nearly as beautiful as this. Everything is so clear without the hint of smog from a city. Because of that, the moon illuminates the sky, casting a mysterious glow on the ground below. The stars, I’ve never seen so many, sparkle beautifully and I can’t seem to look away until I hear a soft crack.

I jump and out of instinct, retreat back inside. It wasn’t unusual for there to be robberies back home so I kind of learned to lock up if something seemed suspicious. I laugh at myself and realize that robberies aren’t as likely here.

Leaning back out the window, I look around below to our front yard and the woods right next to it. When I see nothing, I shrug it off and slip back inside, shutting and locking the window before closing the curtains. It’s late and I need to get to sleep. After all, I have school tomorrow.

Yuck!
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone! This is a co-written story I am doing with VirtueofNecessity
It is a super natural story if you are all wondering so if you're not interested, shoo shoo!
Hope you enjoyed :)

Comment&Subscribe?