Cursed

Finn.

Almost as soon as I heard Kieran’s frightened voice, his terrified tone, I was backing out with my car, hastily throwing it into gear and racing to his house. He needed me. He needed me. I always felt like it was the other way around but this time, I realized that I really needed to protect him, that I really could, that he relied on me for that.

My car screeched to a halt as I pulled into his driveway. I didn’t bother to turn the car off as Shailey and I ran into the house, me ahead of her since I was a bit faster.

I ignored my surroundings because all I saw was Kieran on his knees I dropped down next to him and pulled him protectively into my arms, hugging him tightly to me. His gaze flew wildly to me in wide-eyed horror. As he realized it was just me, he threw his arms around my neck and sobbed into the crook of my neck.

I know we can’t be together, I know Shailey will probably get on me for this later, but I didn’t care. He needed someone; he needed me. He shook violently in my arms as he cried.

And then I saw the disaster all around us. Everything was ripped to shreds, everything. But the pattern of the rips were so very familiar. Everything froze as I realized that it had to be a wolf’s. But a normal wolf could never do that. But ones with a conscience, ones who can make decisions. This entire thing looked methodical and planned. The way the drawers were searched through, the way each poster was shredded down the middle.

It had to have been a werewolf, one of our kind. Who though? Then it hit me. The only other werewolf that has talked to Kieran besides me and my parents was Markus. I know it’s just as possible that neighboring werewolves could have done it, but it’s not like our kind to randomly attack. This was… personal. And it wasn’t my mom, definitely; she thinks Kieran’s adorable. My dad seemed to think he was okay and my parents would never hurt anyone. They never wanted to betray the trust of their oldest friends, Shailey’s parents.

It could only be Markus. But I couldn’t smell anything, not as a human. I’d just have to prove it. I’d have to come back sometime tonight as a wolf.

I looked up, see Shailey standing a fair distance away, just staring at us with a strange look on her face. I prayed she would let me have this moment, here, with Kieran in my arms. And then she left, looking almost… as if she maybe… understood just one iota of how I really felt about Kieran, how willing I was to protect him.

I know I always wished I was a different person, a human, even a girl so I could be with him with no problems. But now I realize that if I was anyone else, he wouldn’t like me as he does now. He likes the current me, the not-so-human, male Finn.

I ran my hands through his hair, just happy to be touching him, but terrified for the danger that now surrounded him.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Kieran sat at my table as his hands shook with a hot cup of chai tea. “What am I going to tell my parents? Oh God, what will Mom and Dad stay?”

“Kieran, we’ll figure it out,” Shailey told him. “I’m sure my parents would let you guys stay with us,” she said.

Honestly, I really wanted Kieran to stay with me, I wanted to be the hero who protects him at the end of the day. But I knew Shailey and her parents would never allow it, especially after they see what happened to his house, specifically his room. They would know in a minute that it was a werewolf.

“No! I wanna stay with Finn!” He cried before clutching onto my arm.

“Kieran, I don’t think-” Shailey began.

“No! You guys keep tossing me around, telling me what to do. Why don’t I get to decide where I want to stay?” He argued.

“Because, I…” I tried so hard to get the words I don’t want you here out. “I don’t… I don’t want…”

I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t tell him I didn’t want him here because I did and I was so bad at lying.

“Fine, you can stay there, but only tonight,” Shailey told him.

“Yay!” Kieran cheered, clutching to my arm tighter.

I looked up at Shailey in complete shock. She would allow me to have Kieran here unguarded for the whole night?

I didn’t let it show just how happy I was, and I was so very, very happy.

“But I need to talk to you alone, Finn,” she said, beckoning me to the other room. I started to get up to follow her, but Kieran tightened his grip around my arm.

“Don’t leave me alone,” he whimpered. I sat right back down to comfort him, like I knew I needed to.

“I won’t let anything hurt you,” I whispered into his ear, just low enough to keep Shailey from hearing it.

Kieran gave me a small, approving smile before hugging me. But then Shailey’s cell phone rang and she held it up to her ear.

“My parents say that yours are back from their trip,” she announced. “I have to get over there to help my parents set up the guest room.”

“Okay,” I said. And then she left. She was really entrusting Kieran to me for once; does this mean that maybe she’s… trusting me… just a bit?

“I’m so tired Finnegan,” Kieran yawned. “Carry me to bed! I wanna be a princess.”

After having his house broken into, you would think he’d be a little less talkative. Nonetheless, I smiled at him.

I decided to surprise him by lifting him up bridal style and carrying him to the couch.

“No! Please let me sleep with you tonight,” he begged with fear in his voice.

I was afraid that he’d kiss me again; afraid that I would let him. But either way, I couldn’t refuse him when he was so obviously scared. I took refuge in the thought that I made him feel safe.

“Okay,” I gave in before carrying him to my bed. I put him down on the outside of the bed and he immediately got under the covers. I took my place beside him and covered myself as well.

“You take such good care of me Finn,” Kieran whispered.

I said nothing to that, but I kept my eyes on the wall instead of the boy next to me. I couldn’t have him kissing me again, stirring up my feelings again.

“Please let me kiss you Finn,” he said. Like he would really ask for permission. So here, in this bed, again, he rolled me over and placed his lips on mine.

I could’ve died there and still have been happy, but I knew I couldn’t let it continue. This was good enough for me. Because if Shailey’s parents found out I liked a human, they would force me to break it off with him, or I’d have to leave my parents to live as a rogue wolf to be with him.

So I pulled away and said, “I already t-told you, we can’t.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Op, updated this for Virtue too!

Comment&Subscribe?