Cursed

Finn.

I was so relieved after I heard Kieran say that he didn’t care what I was. We didn’t have to have anymore misunderstandings now that he knew what I was.

And when I woke up again, it was dark out and Kieran was still by my side, sleeping on the floor next to my bed. I reached over, despite the pain in my back, so I could run my hands along his soft face. However, that woke him up. I felt kind of bad about it, but at the same time, I just wanted to talk to him.

“Oh, you’re awake,” he said drowsily, smiling. He grabbed my hand and held it between both of his, before kissing it. It felt strangely intimate to me. He sat up and stretched while I rolled onto my back again.

“I need to take a walk,” I told him, sighing.

“But you’re hurt, Finnegan!” He cried, frowning at me. Nevertheless, I sat up and peeled by shirt up so he could see the wounds. His cool fingers were welcome on my back. “Th-they look so much better and only within a day…”

I let my shirt back down before I proceeded to painstakingly get up. “Please,” I begged. “I need this.”

He seemed to understand what I meant and helped me off the bed. He was almost the perfect crutch, seeing as he was just the perfect amount shorter than I was.

Outside, I felt much better. From the cool air hitting my face, the sound of the nocturnal animals, and the smell of leaves.

I sat down on the porch, instead of taking a walk like I’d said. I had underestimated my strength as I was already feeling tired. Kieran quietly took a seat next to me and I thought that maybe he could be afraid out here until he cuddled up to me cutely and leaned his head against my shoulder, gripping my arm as he did so.

“You know, our senses are stronger than yours. The way you smelled and looked and sounded were so strong that it was unbearable,” I began to speak up.

“So that’s why you avoided me at first? Do I still smell that good to you?” He asked.

“It’s not nearly as strong now,” I told him.

“So, does that mean that I’m, like, your chosen one?” He questioned with the most serious look on his face I’d ever seen.

I burst out laughing. “My aunt explained to me that it was only your physical traits that I was being pulled to.”

“You only want my body,” he pouted.

“At first,” I chuckled. “I questioned it myself too. I thought I was only acted like I was because of that but… even when everything physical about you became a lot more weakened, I still felt this… emptiness when you weren’t around. And then I realized how much I really liked you,” I admitted. It felt strange to tell him all this stuff. I never thought I would be able to let him know. I always figured he would just become a part of my life that had long since faded, something I regretted for the rest of my days, wishing that I could be with him.

“Then… why haven’t you asked me out yet?” He said so quietly that I almost didn’t hear him.

I felt the inevitable blush work its way up my cheeks and to my ears. “I-I-I…” I stuttered uselessly. I had hoped for it to be automatic but I suppose Kieran wanted something more personal. It was terribly embarrassing to be put on the spot for this but nonetheless… “I… really want to go out with you.”

“Finally, Finn is honest with himself!” Kieran squeals before grabbing my face and giving me the happiest smile I’ve ever seen before as he leaned in to kiss me. For once, without being afraid of what happened after, I moved my lips freely with his, smiling onto his lips.

I never once imagined that I could be with him, that I could call him mine, that he wouldn’t fear me even when he knew the truth.

“We have to keep it a secret though…,” I whispered, afraid of his reaction. I didn’t want to have come all this way just to have him say he couldn’t go out with me if it was to be a secret.

“Why?”

“Shailey’s parents don’t… want me to… be with a human…,” I admitted.

He frowned and said, “It’s okay. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t but… I trust you more than them.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Shailey, I’m begging you,” I pleaded as I stood next to Kieran. The boy gripped my hand, as if to show that he wasn’t letting me go.

“You guys… you… this is taboo. I can’t… I’d be lying to my parents.”

“I don’t really understand all of this but… I just… I just wanna be with Finn,” Kieran spoke up.

Shailey looked guilty when he said that and I knew she’d cave any moment. “You guys… I don’t… I don’t agree with this completely, it goes against everything I was taught. But after you used yourself to protect him, Finn… I think I should repay you. So I won’t tell anyone about this. I’ll keep your secret.”

At that moment, Kieran threw his arms around her and thanked her. Even I said thank you. Even if she didn’t completely support us being together, she’d still help us be together. It was more than I could’ve asked for.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“So, what’s it like? Being a wolf I mean?” Kieran asked as we sat outside.

I looked thoughtfully out to the woods in front of us. “I certainly don’t have to think too much as one… it’s like being a part of nature, everything runs on instinct.”

He wrinkled his nose. “Maybe you can fight the gnomes for me sometime,” he said before chuckling.

“It’s like… belonging to two worlds with neither of them really accepting you; the wolves realize I’m different and humans are kept away from me mostly by Shailey’s family.”

“That sounds… really lonely. You’re such a downer Finn!” Kieran cried, smacking me playfully on the arm.

“I never really cared about it though… until I met you,” I looked away from him. “I never wanted to just be human so badly in my life. I was so jealous of Shailey… She was already human, she had friends and I’m sure she could get a boyfriend if she really wanted to.”

Kieran placed a hand on my cheek to turn my head to him. “I really don’t care what you are, as long as you really do like me. No matter what you are, I still want to be with you,” he told me, taking my hand and lacing his fingers with mine.

He then kissed my jaw and then my mouth before smiling at me. At least I would never have to watch him be with someone else as I watched on from the sidelines because he was mine.