Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 14

I stood outside work in the snow waiting for Harry to pick me up. My phone rang.
“Hi my darling.”
“Hi my incredible, handsome brute of a boyfriend where are you?”
“Well I’m just around the corner but I can’t get right outside. Can you come and meet me?”
“Of course my dearest. I’ll be two seconds.” I hung up and almost ran around to meet him. I opened his passenger side door and slid inside. He cupped my face and gave me a sweet kiss on my lips.
“Are we all ready to go and meet the family?” he said, turning out of the parking space and into the traffic.
“Not really.”
“There’s nothing to worry about.”
“There is!”
“Well what’re you worried about?”
“Well what do I call everyone for a start?”
“Well just call Will and Kate, Will and Kate, call Camilla ma’am when you first meet her and call father your highness but only when you first meet him. Happy now?”
“A bit. I’m still really nervous.”
“Don’t be; they’re not going to send you to the tower.”

*****
“Hello Richard is father in the library?” Harry asked a suited man in the foyer of Clarence House.
“Yes sir, would you like to follow me?” He led us through a series of corridors until he knocked twice on a large wooden door. I took one deep breath. This was it. Harry rubbed circles on the back of my hand.
“Harry, how great it is to see you.”
“You too father.” He said letting go of me and hugging his dad. “And you Camilla.”
“So who is this delightful young woman Harry? Aren’t you going to introduce us?” Charles said.
“This is Rebecca.” He winked at me, thinking I would be annoyed that he used my full name, but I was too scared to even acknowledge it.
“H-Hello you’re highness sir, sorry, erm…”
“Calm yourself down, we won’t bite. Just call me Charles, please.” He held his hand out and I shook it.
“And just call me Camilla.”
“Well, hello.” I said as I shook their hands.
“Shall we have some tea in the garden room; it’s why we’re here after all?” Charles said, before leading us all through to another room. Harry took my hand again, which calmed me down a lot.

*****
“So then Rebecca, tell me a bit more about you.” Charles said as he poured tea. Camilla sat quietly listening to all I had to say and Charles asking questions.
“Well I’m from a small village in the north of England where my parents still live. I went to university in Sunderland to study Journalism and did some work experience her in London with the Telegraph where I work now.”
The heavy door opened slowly to reveal William and Kate.
“I thought you would be in here.” William said as he made his way over to us. “And you must be Rebecca. Harry has said so much about you already.” I stood and William kissed me on both cheeks and went about torturing Harry.
“It’s wonderful to eventually meet you.” Kate said as she gave me a hug.
“You too. This is all a bit unusual to me at the moment.”
“I know exactly what you mean; I was the same. You’ll get used to it soon though.” Kate said sympathising with me.
“So who would like some tea?” Camilla asked, pouring tea into cups.

*****
“Do you like nature at all Rebecca?” Charles asked.
“Well coming from the middle of nowhere it becomes the norm, but living here in the city makes me really miss being able to go and sit in the garden with a book and look at the flowers and trees.”
“Well in that case would you like to accompany me to the garden? There’s not much out there at this time of year but it’s still delightful.”
“Of course I would. That would be wonderful, thank you.”
“The pleasure is my own.” He stood and offered me his arm, which I took. We both headed through some patio doors and out onto a gravel path. He took me on a tour of the garden and pointed out each block of planting, explaining each and every plant and tree.
“I love sweet-peas. We have them back home in our garden.”
“We have thousands of sweet peas all over the gardens here; they really brighten the place up.” I nodded, smiling at his gratitude. “Harry came to me last week wanting some flowers; I suspect they went down well.”
“They were beautiful. It was a real surprise.”
“I understand they were a thank you” he almost questioned.
“He felt that he needed to thank me for understanding after everything that’s happened recently.”
“Sometimes he feels he needs to thank people for doing what we do naturally.” I nodded in agreement. He led me to a small bench facing a small pond. “At first I was protecting the family by being angry at him, but I realised it wasn’t his fault. Sometimes we just need to protect ourselves, often at the expense of some people we really care about. Most of Harry’s previous acquaintances have been bad news. Even though I’ve only just come to know you Rebecca, I think you’ll be with Harry for a long time.”
“Thank you. I think you should know that I do really love Harry.”
“I totally understand you. He’s became a wonderful young man.” We both sat in silence for a while, admiring the scenery when we both heard footsteps on the gravel pathway.
“So this is where you are; you must be bitter with the cold.” Camilla came out, followed by William.
“It’s a beautiful garden; I can hardly bare to drag myself away.”
“You can come here any time you like. The roses are particularly beautiful in the spring.”
“Kate and I want to speak to you next.” William said, offering his arm. We walked back to the house leaving Charles and Camilla in the garden.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right second chapter tonight. You know what to do if you want the third. It's written and ready to go, just comment and let me know if you want it.