Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 16

After exactly a week off I went back to work. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with Harry so I decided to have a week off, knowing I would make up for it when I would be sat at home on my own.
“What happened Bex?”
“What do you mean?” I snapped to Scott on the other side of my desk.
“Well you used to be all glamorous and perfect and now, well, now you’re…. just…”
“Spit it out.”
“Well you haven’t really been yourself lately. You’ve stopped wearing make-up, you’re coming to work in hoodies and you’re wearing trainers. What’s up?”
“Nothing.” I just carried on typing. I was writing an article about an MP who had been dodging taxes for the past ten years. It wasn’t what people wanted to hear, but it could cost him his sincerity, his constituents, and maybe even his job. This was the gritty side of journalism I love, even if people think we’re hacking phones and rummaging through people’s bins.
“How about a few drinks tonight?”
“No.”
“Just one drink.”
“Nope.”
“Is this about the Harry rumours?” My eyes snapped up from my screen.
“No. I’m working.” Scott turned, sighed and left my office, and then the phone rang.
“Hi Bex, it’s Maria.”
“H, I’ve been meaning to speak to you. I was wondering if-”
“I’ll be blunt with you, because I know you won’t mind it. I’m retiring.”
“What? You can’t retire, you’re too young.”
“Thanks my darling but you know as well as I do that my contacts are wearing thin and I have too many ties that are already knotted. I’ve had my fill of this.”
“Maria, I-”
“Save it, I know what you’re going to say. Business-wise you’ve been no easy ride but you’re someone I can call a friend. So I’ll leave everything for you to finish the Lesoto thing after I’ve gone.”

*****
I sat at home flicking through the channels. Nothing interested me. Not even the polar bears. So I went to bed at around half 8.
*****
“Prince Harry back in Afghanistan!! The prince is back on the front line!!” the newspaper seller screeched as I walked past, and into work. I travelled alone up the lift, alone. I walked through the corridors, alone. I opened my office and sat inside, alone. Great.

“New copy for you miss Broad.” Someone came rushing into the office, placing a copy of the newspaper on my desk. The front page made it all sink in.

“HARRY BACK ON THE FRONT LINE”

All this time it seemed like I was in a bubble. I left my 9-5 job and went back home to my lovely boyfriend who had a father called Charles, a step-mother called Camilla, a brother called Will and a sister-in-law called Kate. They just seemed like people. But this was when it hit. I already knew he was a prince, who didn’t, but he wasn’t just mining now. He was partly mine, partly his family’s, but he first and foremost belonged to his country, just like any of his comrades. My article had been saved for today, with the news breaking late last night, and obviously, we can ruin an MP’s life another day. I sighed and got on with what needed to be done. I had no agent, which cancelled out leaving TV. I had no boyfriend, until he came home. I had no friends; well I had no friends in the first place, just acquaintances that passed out drunk on my sofa then joined me the next night to pass out again. I just had family, and Harry’s family. Who am I kidding? I had everything I needed. I searched through my bag for my phone to call Kate when I saw two missed calls from Steven, so I called him back.
“I thought you would never call.”
“You tried to call me twice.”
“Well anyway I’m taking you out for lunch.”
“I can’t”
“Why?”
“I’m working”
“tonight?”
“I can’t”
“Why? You can’t say you’re working.”
“I’m busy.”
“You’re avoiding me and I won’t take no for an answer.”
“You’ll have to.”
“I’ll pick you up at eight.”
“No! Wait, how do you know where I-” and he hung up. I sighed and hit my head against my desk.
*****
I spent yet another night flicking through the TV channels, to find nothing that amused me. So I had a long bath, and went to bed. Just to be woken up at eight by someone at my door. I pulled myself out of bed to go and answer the intercom.
“Who is it?”
“Don’t tell me you forgot.” A deep, sinister voice filled my ears.
“I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re on about.”
“It’s me, Steve.”
“I’m sorry I don’t know who you are.” I lied, just to see if he’d go.
“Don’t you dare lie to me. Just let me the fuck in.” he said slower and deeper. I waited for two long seconds before the buzzer went again and again, so with my head screaming at me not to, I let him in. I stepped back as I heard him stomping up the stairs.
“I thought you would be dressed by now princess.” He said as he stood in the doorway.
“You know as well as I do that I have no intention of going anywhere with you.” He laughed as he reached in his pocket.
“Now you’re going to listen, and you’re going to listen very closely.” His hand removed a shining silver knife. “Because things could get quite nasty,”
“I can easily call the police.”
“If you do you’ll be in more trouble than you are now.” He stalked over to me where I stood. I couldn’t move out of fear. “Now you will be leaving with me tonight,” he moved the knife up to my collar bone, and traced right up my neck. “Or your darling Harry will have a very nasty letter inviting him to his girlfriend’s funeral. Get changed bitch.” He pushed me into the room where I quickly, out of fear, got changed into a simple dress and flat shoes. I returned to him stood right next to the front door.
“You look wonderful darling, simply exquisite.” He held his arm out to take. I stood still. He stalked over to me and forced his arm around mine. “Let’s go beautiful.” I could hardly walk. I had tears falling down my face as I was dragged out onto the street and pushed into a waiting taxi.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right then, pretty big chapter. I would love to know what you think, just in case it's a bit far fetched etc.