Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 17

“Kate, can you help me?” I almost whispered down the phone the next morning. I hardly slept a wink and just cried all night.
“Of course what’s up?” She sounded like here usually bright and breezy self.
“Well, it’s serious and I know Harry won’t like it.”
“Do you want me to come round?”
“I would love you to, but there’s no need to go any trouble.”
“It won’t be any trouble. And I think we should have a chat anyway.”
“Thank you.”
“you’re welcome Bex”
“No. Seriously. Thank you.”

*****
“So did he cut you?” Kate was sat in my living room, her cup of tea went untouched when I started telling the story.
I shook my head. “So what happened after you were in the car?”
“He held my hand really tight. My hand was numb by the time we got to the club.” Kate just sat and listened, which was more than I could ever ask her to. “Then he kept pouring drinks down my neck but whenever I could I had a glass of water, just so I didn’t do anything stupid. He kept asking me to do things. Very indecent things. And the more I said no the more he showed me the knife. He said there were some photographers outside, and he said if I didn’t kiss him in front of them, he would make me do a lot worse in the car. Then he grabbed my face and kissed me and all the cameras flashed.”
“So is he trying to get in touch?” I nodded. Kate was almost on the verge of tears herself.
“But I haven’t replied.”
“Good.” She wiped away the few tears that had escaped. “You’re living with us for a while, until all this gets sorted out.”
“I don’t want to impose.”
“You won’t be. You need to be safe, and there’s nowhere safer.” I nodded. We both rose off the sofa and got to work packing clothes and essentials up.
“Kate?”
“What is it?”
“I’m scared.” I started crying again.
“Don’t worry. Will and I are here and we won’t let anything happen.”
*****
“Bex, it’ll be fine.” Will and Kate sat with me.
“But what’ll Harry say?”
“He’ll be exactly the same as us towards it. He cares too much about you.” The phone rang. “Speak of the devil.” Will said as he left to answer the phone. “How are you? ….Yeah….yeah…. yeah, she’s here…. It’s a long story…. Of course I will…. Stay safe…..you too. Bex, Harry wants to speak to you.” I don’t think I’ve ever moved so quickly. In that moment I was faster than Usain Bolt.
“Harry,” I don’t know if it was a question or a statement, I just needed to hear him.
“Becca.” I started crying there and then. I needed him with me, now more than ever before. “I miss you.” I said through the sobs.
“I know, but it’s only a couple of months, I’ll be back before you know it.”
“Better be.”
“I will. I love you.”
“I love you more.”
“Not possible.”
*****

I decided to get my arse up and go to work. Nothing could happen at work could it? I had to get back into a routine, after the ‘situation’ as we’d dubbed it. Will had decided that I could move in with them until Harry comes back, so I would always have someone with me. One of Will’s security team picked me up and dropped me off from work every day, which didn’t turn heads as I’d expected, but the large black car blended in with the others zipping around the London streets. I carried on, just the same as before until the end of the day when I went back to Kensington Palace, where Kate, Will and I ate our evening meal and sat in front of the TV, discussing what had happened that day. It was a far cry from a matter of months ago when I’d grab some chips on the way home from work, get changed and go and get absolutely rat-arsed.

“So nobody’s worked it out then?” Will asked.
“Nope. Considering they’re the countries best journalists, I thought someone would’ve worked it out by now.”
“So nobody asked about him being away?”
“Well, people keep asking me about it, but I just deny it.”
“Are you sure that’s wise?”
“Well what else am I supposed to do? I can’t exactly scream it from the rooftops at work.”
“But you’ve been together, what? Eight months now?”
“And…”
“With Harry, that’s serious.”
“But that doesn’t mean people should be lacing the streets with bunting does it?” I looked over to Kate who was giggling slightly with excitement.
“Maybe not right now. I haven’t seen him like this since Chelsy.”

******
Three weeks later and I was still living with Will and Kate. They’d become like close friends over the weeks, and we acted as if we’d know each other for years. Harry was now two months into his deployment and I counted down every day.
“Becca, can I have a chat.” Kate said one day. She’d been looking off-colour for a few weeks and Will and I had commented on her vomiting.
“Of course, you don’t need to ask.”
“Does Harry know about any of this?” I shook my head. “Don’t you think you should tell him?”
“I can’t. I don’t know how he’ll react for a start.”
“He has a right to know.” I nodded, sadly.
“How can I tell him Kate? It’s not the kind of thing you drop into casual conversation.”
“You have a way Bex.”
“What do you mean?”
“There’s something about you that makes me think you can find a way of doing anything.” I smiled.
“I’ll try and tell him next time he rings.” Kate relaxed back onto the sofa, with her eyes closed. “Are you alright?” She just nodded. “You really don’t look well Kate.”
“Will said that earlier.”
“Maybe you should see a doctor or something.”
“I’ll be fine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taken me so long I've been bogged down with uni work and a load of other stuff. But its the end of the semester now so I have a bit of time off so I might be writing quite a lot.