Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 27

That morning happened incredibly quickly. There was a lot of phone calls and organisation on Harry’s part and I just sat nodding along to what was happening.
“You can’t go into work today.” Harry sighed as he sat next me on the sofa after being told he was allowed to see the new baby at exactly 3:30PM.
“I know but what do you want me to say? ‘I’m sorry I can’t come into work today my boyfriend’s sister, who just happens to be the Duchess of Cambridge, had a baby this morning’. I’ll be swamped with questions. They already know about me and you but this is totally different.”
“I know darling. I want you to be there with me though. And I’m sure Kate wants to see you.”
“Of course I’ll come with you. I’m just worried about the backlash at work.” I leaned into his shoulder and sighed. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and gently rubbed my shoulder with his thumb. We both sat staring into space, stuck in our own thoughts. I could feel Harry’s breathing slow down, and him gently fall asleep with his arm still locked around me. Although we had only woken at 5 o clock even I was sleepy already, so I cuddled into his body.

Half an hour later we awoke to my mobile ringing.
“Hello,” I mumbled sleepily.
“I was just wondering if you had any news?” Richard asked
“We do but I really can’t talk about it.”
“What time will you be there,”
“Be where?” Harry sleepily opened his eyes an propped himself up on his arms
“At the hospital?”
“What do you mean?”
“When Kate’s had her baby how soon will you be there?
“Richard, I can’t tell you. I refuse to give you any exclusives”
“Rebecca, I would think very carefully about your position; You are a journalist, who has the perfect entry into royal exclusives. I think we can both use this to our advantage.”
“I totally understand you Richard, but I will not jeopardise my relationship just for you to make money.”
“It’s not just me who would make money here, it’s you as well.”
“Richard it’s a no.”
“At least tell me you’ll think about it.”
“It’s still a no.”
“In that case, I would suggest you start job hunting.”
“I’ve hardly been there a month!”
“I understand, but our intentions have been misinterpreted”
“What do you mean? That you only employed me so I would spill secrets?! Well there was a definite misinterpretation.” And I hung up.

It came to three o’clock and Harry was pacing backwards and forwards with excitement.
“I just want to see him,” He moaned as he sat down on the sofa next to me.
“You’ll be able to soon,” I said, laying my arm over the back of his shoulders, playing with the hair at the nape of his neck. We’d already flicked through the TV channels several times, but nothing really caught our eyes.
“Can we go yet?” Harry wined.
“You’re like a child!” I laughed
“No I am not!” He joking looked shocked
“You are! You’re like a whiney child.” I leaned closer to him so our lips were millimetres apart.
“Only because I’m excited! I just can’t wait anymore” He whined once again. We had left one of the news channels on the TV and it flicked through footage of the crowds waiting outside the hospital. Suddenly I became nervous. All those people would see me getting out of the car and walking into the hospital on Harry’s arm. My mind wandered as I thought of all the many possibilities of things that could go wrong. What if I didn’t get out of the car correctly and showed my underwear to all the photographers outside? Months ago I would in some ways be proud of pictures of myself all over the tabloids, but now it was totally different. I had a level of dignity to uphold, not only as a prince’s girlfriend, but as a friend of a future queen. This was the first time I was stepping out as Harry’s girlfriend.
“What are you worried about?” His face dropped from the permanent grin that he had been wearing all day, to a face of genuine concern.
“What if the tabloids…” My voice was barley a whisper and I just trailed off. There was so much running through my mind I couldn’t but a coherent sentence together. His arm wrapped around my shoulders and pulled me tightly into his chest.
“You have nothing to worry about.”
“but I’m not a-” the word caught in my mouth.
“Not a what?” I could barely say the word that I and the whole world had been thinking for long enough.
“Princess” I timidly whispered.
“Don’t you dare!”
“But I’m not. I can’t walk right and I can’t speak properly and God knows I’m just not good enough!” All my worries were bubbling up at once.
“You are more than good enough.” He said kissing my head softly, then gently stroking it with his hand. “You are so much more than good enough. You’re my girlfriend. My one and only.” I cuddled further into him, calming slightly. “And one day you will be my wife and the mother of my children and I want nothing more than to spend every day waking up to you and falling asleep by your side.”
“Were you meant to say that out loud buster?” I laughed slightly at his sudden outburst of affection. I looked up at him to be clocked by his beautiful eyes. As soppy as it sounds if I only saw one pair of eyes for the rest of my life they would be his.
“Every word.” And his lips gently found themselves on mine in a kiss so sweet it would put every chocolate or candy bar to shame.

The sound of the telephone broke us apart. Harry picked it up. What followed was a series of sighs and ‘ok then’s. He finally finished the phone call and put the telephone back on the receiver.
“So the plan is to head to my parent’s then we go to the hospital in two separate cars. Then we can stick around until after they’ve taken him outside if we want.” He sat down in the vacant space he left.
“That was a lot of information.” I said as I cuddle back into his side, watching images of the front door of the hospital constantly being shown on TV.
“I’m good with lots of information.”
“You should try working in an office.”
“Well you should try flying helicopters,” he said turning so I fell on top of him “and shooting at bad guys,” his arms wrapped round my back, pulling me to him “and-”
“And rescuing all the pretty damsels.” I cut him off with my own ending of the list of dramatic and heroic feats he’d achieved on his time on duty.
“it’s a perk of the job.” I laughed and smacked him gently on the shoulder before leaning in for a kiss. We were once again interrupted. This time by Steven, head of Harry’s trusted security detail.
“Oh, Steven can we go already?”
“No sir, but just to let you know we’re leaving in five minutes.”
“Thank you Steven.” And with that Steven left and my lips were once again met with a pair that I knew oh so well.
♠ ♠ ♠
I fully understand that I've neglected this story incredibly and after a late night epiphany with a bottle of wine and a tube of Pringles, I have turned a corner and decided to keep up to date with this.
I really love reading your comments though and really appreciate your views and thoughts, so please keep them coming.

P.s. I enrolled in elocution lessons during my wine and pringle induced epiphany so it might not all be good.