Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 34

The next morning was groggy to say the least. With George waking both us and Will and Kate up at several intervals through the night.
“I’m sick of this,” Harry grumbled “I’ve hardly slept.”
“He’ll grow out of it soon.” I replied cuddling into his side.
“Not soon enough,” he said kissing my forehead. We both lay there for a while, relaxed. Well, as relaxed as we could with George screaming for Kate just down the hallway. “That’s it, we need to start looking for somewhere to move to.”
“Well we can soon, as soon as we get back from my parents.”
“That’s tomorrow isnt it?” I nodded. The plan was that we’d drive to my parent’s house the day before my cousin’s wedding so I could show Harry around the village.
“I need to find something to wear. I think I should go shopping.”
“Why not go with Kate?”
“She’s just had George, she’ll be in no fit state to tackle to shops.”
“I would go with you but I have a meeting today.”
“That’s fine, I’ll go on my own.”
“We need to get out of bed first,” Harry said, yawning and stretching above my head.
“How about I go and make some breakfast while you get ready.”
“I like that idea.” He kissed my forehead before stretching, throwing the duvet back and climbing out of bed. He stretched as he walked round the bed in the direction of the bathroom “I almost forgot something,” He rushed over to my side of the bed and leant over, brushing the hair out of my face. “Morning darling.” He said pressing a soft kiss to my lips.
“Morning buster.” I said as he padded into the bathroom.

*****
After breakfast Harry left for his meeting and I headed out into the city. I wandered right through Mayfair and through Berkeley Square Gardens finding a new blue dress, cream shoes and a cream fascinator in the many shops ready for the wedding at the weekend. I bought a vintage-look picnic set as a wedding gift and then I came across a small bookshop, just down a side street, set back from all the rest of the shops. It had a victorian- style shop front and I couldn’t help but wander in.
When I pushed open the door a bell rang on the wall above my head. An old bearded man behind the cash register awoke with a start.
“Hello there dear,” He said “Is there anything specific you’re looking for?”
“Well not really,” Then and idea popped into my head, “Actually where are the childrens’ books?” I saw his face change dramatically.
“Upstairs, on the row closest to the window.” He snapped. I thanked him and made my way up the rickety spiral staircase. My eyes glanced over the rows and rows of thick hardback books with gold lettering, looking almost bolder in the dim light, as I walked towards the window where the children’s books were. Row after row of dust books caught my attention from encyclopedias and dictionaries to spy novels and even handwritten manuscripts.
Although I was upstairs I could hear the old shopkeeper talking to someone as my heels clicked on the wooden floorboards. I could hear a commotion outside. I headed towards the windows, where a dusty bench settled in the bay window. I knelt on the padded bench to get a better look outside. The side street was almost filled with photographers. ‘shit’ I thought to myself. What was I going to do. I knew it was the shopkeeper who had called them. It was a fight or flight decision that only I could make. I could sit here and worry and eventually call Harry, asking him to rescue me from the big bad photographers or I could fight and carry on my shopping and head back home like I would’ve done if they weren’t there. I made my decision.
I browsed the children’s books until I found something that made my heart melt. It was a thick illustrated book filled with Beatrix Potter stories, the stories that were read to me when I was small. I picked up the book from the shelf and headed downstairs.
“Quite a commotion out there,” The old man said, quite cunningly, almost proud.
“It is, isn’t it,” I smiled back.
“Beatrix Potter,” He said “Lovely stories aren’t they.”
“They are. I used to adore them when I was younger.”
“So who’s it for?” he said, wrapping the book up in a brown paper bag with brown string wrapped around it.
“for a friend” I said, smiling slightly.
“Please dont mind me being frank but is it for the royal baby?”
“royal baby? No of course not.” I lied
“Are you sure?” He seemed shocked.
“It’s just for a friend who has just had a baby. That’s all”
“Very well then, thank you.”
“You too, thank you.” I smiled, took a deep breath and left the shop
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait but I've just moved house. It's such a stressful thing to do!
Thanks for reading and don't forget to let me know what you think!