Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 6

I sighed as I closed my front door behind me. I’d been followed all the way home by paparazzi cars and I had people pointing me out to whoever they were with, on the way home. So I dealt with it the best way I could; stay in all day and do nothing. Yep, seemed like a good plan. I started by running a bath with loads of soapy bubbles and a glass of wine, and then soaked in the bath while reading my book. As soon as I’d finished and the water had gone cold I put on some old joggies and a hoodie and watched a film; Notting Hill, with another glass of wine. When it got to about six o’clock I’d ran out of things to do. I’d tidied up, sorted my wardrobe out, did my grocery shopping online, and started writing my column for the paper. It reached nine o’clock when my phone rang.
“Hi, I just thought I’d call to see how you’re doing,” it was Harry,
“Yeah, I’m OK. It came as a bit of a shock to be honest,” I carried on writing. “What about you? “
“I’m used to it now, I was just worried you’d get scared and decide to cancel coffee on Thursday,” My heart skipped a beat when I remembered.
“They haven’t scared me off THAT much,” I joked, which prompted a hearty chuckle from the other side.
“that’s good, so I’ll see you at about eleven then you can come back to Clarence house with me for the other part of the interview.” Damn I forgot about that.
“Yeah that sounds like a good idea”
“Great, so I’ll see you then,” As soon as I was off the phone I called Maria’s office so I could call in tomorrow instead of Thursday morning before the interview.

The next morning I woke up early and called into Maria’s office.
“So explain to me again why you want the interview questions now,”
“Well tomorrow I’m meeting an old friend, and I won’t have time to get to the interview if I have to come here after,” I hoped I was a good liar.
“They’re just printing now,” she said slowly looking me up and down, “there’s a guy involved here.” Shit.
“Yeah, but we’re just friends so don’t expect any exposés anywhere,”
“I know you too well to believe that,” she laughed.

I thanked her and left to go home and wait for tomorrow to come. I sat and flicked through every TV channel I had, and then every radio station I could find, and then every website and magazine I could find, and even then it was only 2 o clock. Why does time have to go so slowly when you’re waiting for something?

The clock on my wall slowly ticked to four o clock as I made my 6th cup of tea that afternoon. I didn’t even like tea!

It hit five o clock. I looked through my bookshelves to find something interesting, but nothing caught my eye.

Six o clock. News. More dreary stories of rebels in middle eastern countries.

Seven o clock.

Eight o clock.

Nine o clock. What should I wear? Why have I only thought of this now? I ran to my wardrobe and threw clothes in all directions looking for something to wear. And then it hit me. Right in the back of my wardrobe was my grandma’s dress. I was a secret left in her will to me and I thought that now was a better chance than ever to wear it. I pulled it out, sprayed it, ironed it and hoped for the best.
Ten o clock. I eventually put my head on the pillow. But then a million thoughts crept up on me. What if he doesn’t like me? What if he doesn’t show up? What if I break some hundred year old, royal law?

My alarm clock woke me up out of a dreamless sleep at about half six. Who on earth would get up at half past six? Me - a girl who was about to go out for coffee with a prince. That hit me like a lead balloon. I was going to have coffee with a prince. As I sat up in bed I daydreamed about a million and one different things, until a text popped up on my phone.

Just thought I’d let you know that I’m looking forward to today
Harry xxx

I replied. I showered, straightened my hair, put on light make up, dressed and then sorted out my handbag all in 45 minutes. You could tell how excited I was.

I nervously tapped my foot until it was time to leave. I picked up my bag and tried to keep calm as I left the apartment and walked quickly to the coffee house just a couple of minutes away. I tried to keep breathing as I thought I would pass out. I threw open the door and searched for a tuft of red hair, but to no avail.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taken me so long but I know what I'm doing with it now.