In Time

2

It had been a week since I’d past the audition. No one had called me. To say I was disappointed would be a severe understatement. I'd kind of expected it, though. My voice was definitely nothing special. I'd spent the whole week trying to ignore my phone unless I heard it vibrate. Each time I picked up, though, it wasn't who I wanted it to be.

I sighed rolling over and grabbing my book, crossing my legs under me as I studied the text before me. It was a distraction and I needed it. It took me away from the constant disappointment. Twenty-one auditions and I’d been rejected by all of them. Clearly singing wasn’t my calling.

I heard a knock at my door, looking up to see my mother watching me carefully. She was disappointed as well. She wanted me to be accepted. She found my voice magnificent. No matter how often I told her it wasn’t, though, she waved me off saying I didn’t hear what she did. I’m pretty sure I did. I mean, it was my voice.

“How are you?” she asked as she sat next to me.

“Take a guess,” I sighed, closing my book.

“You’ll get accepted eventually, Des, you just need to keep trying,” she reassured. I sighed.

“Mom, I’ve tried for twenty-one different bands and they’ve all rejec-”

The sound of my doorbell cut me off. I sighed as my mother got up and left my bedroom. She went downstairs to answer, leaving me with my book again. I opened it to the page I was on and got lost in the words before me, ignoring everything else. That is, until my mother entered and nearly gave me a heart attack by touching my arm. I jumped, whirling to look at her. I groaned.

“What now?”

"Someone's here to see you," she replied. I frowned at the light smile growing on her face.

"Not interested," I mumbled.

"Really because you seemed interested a week ago when we met. I guess if you've had a change of heart, I could go and let the guys know. They’ll be pretty disappointed, though. You were perfect for the group."

I gasped as the boy's voice met my ears. It was oddly familiar. I couldn't quite place it. It was driving me crazy. I rolled over, the 'last week' comment catching my interest. I nearly cried.

Xavier stood in my door with a cute smile on his face. He waved and gestured for me to approach him. I got up hesitantly and stepped toward him. His smile broadened to a grin.

"So is it still a no or are you with us?" he chuckled. I looked over his shoulder to see Ronnie and Kyle there.

"Seriously?" I breathed. "I got the part?"

"Would we be here if you didn’t?" Xavier laughed.

I stood in a state of shock, mouth opening and closing soundlessly. The three boys laughed. I couldn't believe it. I never won anything. I always came close. I never came first. I couldn't believe my ears. This had to be some kind of mean joke. I took a breath.

"I'm your singer?" I repeated slowly.

"Yes," Xavier repeated with a laugh. "Come on! Yes or no? We need a confirmation!"

I gave him a look. "I-I...wow...”

He laughed. “Damn it, Des, you’re too paranoid. Come on, yes or no?”

I smiled at the comment. It was true. This was my paranoia kicking in. I let out my breath and grinned. “Yes.”

The two behind him let out a breath. I glanced back at them. They grinned at me. They seemed grateful.

"Thank you so much," I breathed in amazement.

"We'd be crazy to refuse you," Kyle replied. "Now come on! Let's start writing!"

The other two nodded eagerly. I agreed, laughing brightly. I looked at my mom. She had tears in her eyes. I smiled at her. She rushed forward, her arms spread open.

"Congratulations, Destiny," she breathed, pulling me into a hug.

"Thanks, mom," I murmured.

"Go," she sighed. "Have fun."

I smiled, rushing out of the house and down the stairs. I met the guys outside. They were waiting by a car. I joined them, smiling in return for theirs.

"You ready?" Xavier asked as we slid in. I grinned.

"Like you wouldn't believe," I breathed.