Just the Two of Us

Together

Max sighed softly, his eyes flickering open at the bright sunlight that was streaming in through the bedroom window. He wriggled down a little further into the covers, his chin resting against his lover’s head.

“Max?” came the soft voice of the man curled against him. “Are you awake?”

“Mmhm,” he replied, staying still, relaxed and warm. He tightened his arms just a little round Gabriel, then released him again, kissing the top of his head.

Gabriel smiled against Max’s skin, pressing a gentle kiss to his throat. “It’s nearly 10am...”

Max sighed again, hand stroking slowly down Gabriel’s back. “What’s your point...” He could pretend all he wanted that it was a chore to be awake so early, but he was always glad to hear Gabriel’s voice.

Gabriel laughed, swatting his arm. He’d been awake since nine, just listening, but he was damned if he was going to tell Max that. “My point is that it’s nearly 10am. I’m hungry...”

“Alright, alright... we’ll go get baby some breakfast...”

“Baby yourself!” Gabriel laughed, shoving lightly and shifting away from Max. He immediately shivered, curling back up against him. “S’cold.”

Max rolled his eyes, pressing his mouth to Gabriel’s head in an affectionate kiss. “Baby.”

---

Later that afternoon, the pair were squabbling over a coat.

“You bloody wear it!” Max said loudly, frustrated. “It’s yours, and you’re smaller than I am!”

“Why does that matter!? It’s mine so I get to choose who wears it. You wear it, I have a sweater.”

Max huffed, opening the door to the cold weather and walking out, sans coat.

“Max!! You’ll catch pneumonia!” Gabriel ran after him with the coat, flustered, trying to put it round his shoulders.

Max spun round, grabbing his arms. “Gabriel,” he laughed, leaning to press a short, hard kiss to his love’s mouth. “I got gloves, don’t I? And more importantly, you. Now put the coat on, or I’m not walking with you. And then I’ll definitely freeze.”

Gabriel glared, though his expression was softened somewhat by the kiss. He briefly wondered if Max knew the effect a simple touch like that always had on him. It was an annoyingly potent effect at that moment. “Don’t expect me to be looking after you when you catch a strange cold-related disease. ...Ass,” was his snappy reply as he slipped the coat round himself.

Max just grinned. “I wouldn’t want you to. Unless we get to play naughty nurse...” he said, hand slipping into Gabriel’s back pocket as they began to walk.

Gabriel huffed, jumping slightly at the hand. “You wish...” He slid his arm round Max’s waist, leaning into him. “I don’t see why you won’t just let me get you a new jacket.”

“You know why! I want to pay for it myself with my own money. It’s way better that way.”

“Maximillian, your reasoning is ridiculous. In fact, it’s non-existent.”

“I don’t see why you gotta argue with me about it. It’s just something I like to do, right?”

Gabriel opened his mouth to retort, then frowned, looking down at their feet. “I could at least contribute...”

Max sighed, withdrawing his arm from round Gabriel, slipping his hands into his own pockets instead. They’d had the same argument just days before; why couldn’t Gabriel just accept that he needed this?

“Max?”

He looked at Gabriel, only to be met with a pair of sad eyes. He balked a little at the hurt and... rejection? in them. He stopped walking. “What’s the big deal? So I wanna buy my own shit... so what?”

Gabriel spoke softly, stepping just a little closer, hands holding onto the hem of Max’s shirt. “I don’t have anyone else to share my money with... all that trust fund stuff... Part of being in a relationship is sharing, and looking after each other. You look after me more than I look after you. Why can’t I buy you one coat?”

Max struggled with himself when faced with the annihilating weapons of Gabriel’s sad expression and sweet, gentle voice. “Gabriel...”

“Just this one thing. Please?”

Max swallowed his pride like a bitter pill, nodding.

Gabriel’s face lit up; a spoonful of sugar. “Let’s go now! Do you want to?”

Max’s face broke into a smile that could almost rival Gabriel’s, nodding once more. “Alright, fine. Fuckin’ freezing anyway.”

---

Max stood in front of the mirror in their bedroom when they got home, looking at himself in the coat. “How’d you know which would look best? Jeez Gabriel, stereotype much...”

Gabriel grinned, sitting on the bed as he watched Max parade around in the dark, Italian leather jacket. He felt proud; content, to see Max in the jacket he’d carefully picked out and paid for.

“And it smells amazing. You’re amazing.”

“You’re easy to please,” Gabriel smiled, his voice teasing to hide the swell of happiness he felt at Max’s words. He stood up in front of Max, adjusting his collar.

“Did you just call me easy?” Max asked, pretending to give a little pout as he looked down at Gabriel. The affection in his eyes instantly gave him away.

Gabriel just smirked, leaning up on his toes to give Max a kiss. “I’m going to my study to grade some papers,” he said quietly, nosing Max’s jaw as he pulled away. “Will you order pizza?”

“Sure...”

“You’re buying.”

Max grinned to himself as Gabriel left the room. “Deal.”

---

Later that evening, Max had fallen asleep on the couch whilst watching a football game. He lay stretched out, one arm hanging off the armrest, fingers long and relaxed.

Gabriel walked in, taking his glasses off and cleaning them a little with his shirt. He leant over the back of the sofa, opening his mouth to speak. He stopped. Smiled.

Staying quiet, he crept round the couch, switching the TV off and turning to look down at Max. “Max...” he murmured, kneeling down. “Max, wake up...”

Max didn’t move, the only reaction to Gabriel’s soft voice being a small sigh.

Gabriel smiled, and got up. He pushed Max gently before slipping in next to him on the sofa, squashing up against him warmly so that they could both fit. Max subconsciously – or so Gabriel guessed – curled his arms round the warm body next to him, breathing deeply in his sleep.

Gabriel gazed at him for a moment, raising his hand to fiddle with Max’s hair. “Bird’s nest,” he whispered so as not to wake him.

“Shut up,” came the mumbled reply, making Gabriel jump. He smiled again.

“Come to bed. I finished my grading... Every student in my class got an A. Even Natalie! She’s usually a straight C student...”

He paused, waiting for Max’s reaction. He waited a moment more, before smiling to himself and snuggling down, holding onto Max’s shirt. He took a moment to breathe in deeply, to soak in the peace, the warmth.

“G’night.”

---

“Have a good day, honey pie,” Max sang in a mocking falsetto, making Gabriel laugh as he opened the front door.

“Promise me you’ll leave for work soon!”

“It’s Thursday. The best day for slacking off.”

Gabriel rolled his eyes, then let out a high pitched gasp when Max pinned him to the door frame, breathing over his lips.

“Besides, I’m gonna need my energy for later...” Max continued, smirking and licking Gabriel’s lips.

Gabriel grinned, pecking him back. “And what if I’m tired, huh?”

“Please, like you can resist...” Max replied cockily, kissing Gabriel fully, pressing his whole body against his, his lust unhindered by Gabriel’s suitcase pressing sharply against his knee. “Be a good boy, now.”

Gabriel just giggled, pushing him away slightly breathlessly after giving him a final kiss. “Bye, Max,” he said, biting his lip and kissing his cheek just one more time before making his way out the door. “Miss you already~!” he sang, half teasing, giving a cheeky wave.

---

Max woke from his nap that afternoon feeling refreshed and energised. He got up off the sofa, instantly greeted by Allie’s tongue to his hand. “Hey, pretty girl...” he laughed, crouching down to pet her. He groaned when she licked his face, panting hotly and wagging her tail.

“Jeez Al, do you have to do that every time?” he said, grinning anyway as he got her lead from a coat hook by the door. “C’mon waggy, let’s go for a walk before Gabriel gets home.”

“Hey!” he called as she ran out ahead of him, eager to get the fresh air. Suddenly, his call turned into an alarmed shout. “/Allie!/” He dashed out, his veins turning to ice. All that could be heard was a startled bark as Allie was knocked to the tarmac by a speeding Mustang convertible.

Time slowed down, blood pounding in his ears as horror spread over his face. Then in a split second, it sped up, and he was kneeling on the ground with his dog, clutching at her fur. “Allie. Allie. Allie, get up. Good girl, come on, get up,” he said quickly, mind whirling. Should he call 911? Would they help? The police? An ambulance?

A loud sound rang out, the screech from Gabriel’s tyres snapping him from his panicked thought process. He kept his eyes on Allie, hearing the footsteps come quickly towards them. “Max! Max, what happened? What... Allie, oh God, her...”

Gabriel stared at the pair of them, his eyes lingering on the pool of blood starting to swarm around Allie’s back legs. He staggered back, hand going shakily to his mouth. “Max... the car... get her in the car, we need to go...”

Max stared down at his girl, trembling. “Allie...” he choked weakly, tugging her collar. “Up...”

Gabriel’s face hardened, and his voice suddenly took on an authoritative tone. “Max! Lift her now and get her into this car.”

Max blinked, looking up at him for a moment. He nodded, taking a quick breath and lifting the unconscious canine to Gabriel’s car, climbing into the backseat with her.

The dog lay motionless in his lap, blood dripping steadily from the leather seat.

---

Three days later, Max was in much the same position he always assumed when he was dozing off whilst watching the football. He lay stretched out, one arm hanging off the armrest, fingers long and relaxed.

Gabriel walked in quietly, glasses in his pocket. “Max?” he ventured hesitantly.

“Yeah.” Max lifted his head slightly to see him, smiling very slightly. “She’s sleeping.”

Gabriel grinned, leaning over the back of the sofa to pet Allie, who was stretched out alongside Max, her back legs tightly bandaged; her head half shaved. “It’s doing her good to be out of that place,” Gabriel murmured, walking round the sofa to look at the two of them together. “Back with us.”

Max smiled fondly down at the dog, fingers gently stroking over her bald skin. “Poor girl...” he murmured, eyes fixed on her for a moment. “Gabriel?

“Yes?” Gabriel perched on the end of the sofa next to Max, petting his hair as well. The last few days had been stressful; he was glad to see Max finally relaxed and smiling.

“I just wanted... you stayed so calm. When it happened.” Max was looking up at him with the utmost love, the gratefulness clear in his eyes. “It’s usually the other way round, but...”

Gabriel shrugged, lowering his hand, brushing it over Max’s cheek. “I had to. I wasn’t thinking about it.”

Max caught his hand, kissing his palm softly. “If you hadn’t, she’d probably be dead.”

“You would have come round if I hadn’t been there, I’m sure of it...” came the soft reply.

Max swallowed, taking a moment, just holding Gabriel’s hand. He could still feel the blood on his hands, drying sticky and brown, matted with her fur. “I’m glad you were there. “

---

Max was quiet for the next few hours; Gabriel wasn’t sure if he was brooding, or simply thinking. He kept his distance, not wanting to interrupt him, and went upstairs to get ready for bed.

He washed his hands slowly, not paying attention to the action. He thought back to the accident, to Max’s panicked expression. He shivered. There was this... unspoken understanding that Max was the protector. He looked after the two of them; he stayed calm when someone was ill while Gabriel freaked out, kept his arms wrapped tight round Gabriel when he was scared. He’d even dealt with Gabriel’s family a few times. Gabriel smiled slightly to himself. If that didn’t show courage, he didn’t know what did.

He leant against the sink, eyes closing. Seeing Max like that, so scared, panicked, unthinking... He was interrupted by a pair of arms slipping round his waist from behind.

“Penny for your thoughts, my hero?”

Gabriel blinked at the words. “Your what?”

“My hero,” Max repeated, pressing a kiss to Gabriel’s ear.

“I’m not...”

“Yeah, you are.”

Gabriel sighed a little, resting a hand on Max’s arm.

“What’s up?” Max asked, eyes fixed on Gabriel in the mirror.

“I was just... thinking about it all. About how strange it is that I was the one looking after you two. I mean...”

“Gabriel,” Max cut him off, smiling, chin on his shoulder. He watched Gabriel’s reflection, fingers stroking over his stomach. “You look after me more than you know. There’s more to looking after someone than just being able to fetch them soup when they’re ill, y’know.”

Gabriel looked at him for a moment, chewing his lip.

Max swayed very slightly, kissing his neck. “I don’t really know what I’d do without you. I’d be a mess.” He meant what he said. Gabriel was the person who kept him grounded; Gabriel was the reason he was usually able to remain the calm, protective one of the two of them. Gabriel was smiling now, resting against him.

“Come to bed.”

---

That evening, they lay in bed together quietly, tangled up with each other in the sheets. The room was warm and sticky with sex, the only light coming from the moon, its soft shine just reaching them.

Gabriel had his face pressed against Max’s neck. He inhaled deeply, moving his lips to press soft little kisses to his sweaty skin. He could feel unspoken words in the air, knew what they were before Max had opened his mouth.

“I love you,” came the soft whisper, the heartfelt words ringing out quietly in the near-silence of the room. Max breathed in the scent of Gabriel’s hair, kissing his head lightly. “I love you.”

Gabriel wondered if those words would ever cease to warm his heart, to make him smile and close his eyes. He allowed his reply to spill out, as natural as breathing. “I love you too, Max.”

Soon, the pair slowly drifted off together into a peaceful sleep, their chests rising and falling to a steady, moonlit rhythm.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3