Love Like You're Young

One.

"You're gonna love it here. They say Vancouver is the number one best place to live!" I told them. They were all against it since they heard about the riot after the Canucks lost (but to be honest, did you see how many people came to clean up after that?), but they had no choice since it was my turn to choose a place.

You see, every summer/spring one of us got the chance to choose a place we (me and about ten other guys) could all visit for at least a week (depending on the other guys' attitude about the vacation spot). It was a nice break and a good chance to try something new and travel. I'm not exactly sure who came up with this, but once it became my turn I decided it was a great idea (that is when you forget about eatting hagus for the first time and bedding with over twelve unknown species of bugs).

"Yeah, just remember, saying your part of the Anaheim Ducks isn't a good pick up line," Corey joked. That was his thing, jokes. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the class clown back in highschool.

"Haha. Now shut up, someone might hear you." I snapped, cracking a little laugh of my own.

We walked out of the airport, me reaching into my pocket for my phone. I clicked the green glowing button twice, the phone redialing the person I last spoke to.

"Oh Brandon! I'll be there in a minute!" My sister yelled over the reciever, "It'll be me with the van, and a friend of mine with her jeep." She informed me. I've been back for less than an hour and her chirpy voice was already getting on my nerves.

"Alright, see you."

She said her goodbyes back and the line went dead. What I didn't notice was the guys had just ditched me. I looked left, then right. Nowhere to be found. I rubbed the back of my neck, stressfully. Nothing was going right. Let's just say the flight wasn't my best.

I made a beeline to the nearest exit, deciding it would be easier if I could find Vanessa's van or her friend's jeep first. I almost admitted defeat until I noticed the van and a white retro jeep turn the corner. What ticked me off just a bit was the fact that the guys were already in the cars.

I watched my Vanessa wave cheerily, giving her a smile and polite wave back. She put the van in park and jumped out. She gave me a big bear hug, something I usually expected since I got one everytime I came to visit.

"Brandon! Everyone's missed you like crazy! My has been calling me every minute asking when you're com—" She was interupted by the ringing of her cell phone.

She chattered to mom, complaining about how she calls too much and telling her I was home. While she was doing that, I turned to the guys, giving them all a small glare.

"Thanks for waiting up." I muttered. They all either shrugged, blamed it on the other guys, or told me to relax.

Vanessa's friend smiled at me, climbing out of her car. She stuck her hand out to me, that smile still plastered on her face. "I'm Kayla."

She wasn't the prettiest person I've seen but she had remarkable natural features. She wore an airy black flannel over a grey top, a pair of dark blue shorts, and some sunnies resting on her nose. You could tell she was a rough girl. Her hair was everywhere but together, she had a scar under her eye, and a band-aid around her ring finger.

I firmly shook her hand, her grin widening.

"Brandon."

Oh man did I miss being home.

Image

"So, tell us about yourself." Corey asked Kayla. Everyone was either watching TV or helping Vanessa with dinner.

"Well, I live up in Whistler. I'm training to be a professional snowboarder." She told us. That made sense. A tough cookie, snowboarding isn't the easiest sport. "What about you?"

"Well," Corey stretched out.

"Good job, now you got him started," I complained, sending her a joking glare as Corey started telling us about his oh so amazing life.

After some time, dinner was finally done.

We all crowded around the table of food, taking our share. Since there wasn't enough room for everyone to sit at the table we decided to just eat wherever. Vanessa could clean up the house later.

Image

That's how our next few days went. Morning sightseeing for the guys, late night partying and meeting family and friends. I proved to the guys this vacation would be amazing, and I got to meet some of Kayla's family. Well, her cousins who she had to take care of while they were in Vancouver for vacation as well.

That's how today went as well, at least it started like that.

Kayla's cousins left for the airport and she wanted a night out to forget about missing them till the next holiday. Of course, my sister insisted on inviting a few people, which ended in breaking glasses and the most fucked up people coming. I think I ever saw what looked like a highschool freshman.

Like any normal party, we got buzzed, and we thought the best way to get sober was to drink more. That's how the intoxicated mind works. It doesn't.

And that brings us here. Me and Kayla laughing our asses off while were locked in the bathroom.

I yawned, leaning on the hard, uncomfortable sink counter.

"Tired?" She smiled at me. She was still breathtaking when she was drunk. "Here," She patted her lap.

Before I could decline or refuse, she tugged my arm and my head was planted on her thighs. I quickly sat up, getting cold feet just sitting next to her.

"So you live in Anahiem?" She murmured, her head leaning on my shoulder.

"Yeah. I miss Vancouver lots."

"Wow. You're so cool."

"What makes you think that?" I let out a hearty laugh.

"You can stay somewhere so far for so long" She whispered.

"It's my home."

She straightened her back and stared at him. There was a moment of silence. I was waiting for her to speak, but I think she was either too deep into her thoughts or she just wanted silence for a moment.

"Does it get lonely without family?" I could barely hear her. Her facial expression was entrancing. I felt so attracted to her. Like there was this large rubberband around us. It was forcing us together, and was almost impossible to seperate.

"Why don't you find out?" I quickly leaned in, pressing my lips against hers. It was perfect, even if it was on the floor of the bathroom.

Sometime while we were busy, I think I heard someone knock the door but I didn't pay attention.

She pushed me away, a small smile grazed on her lips. "That was nice," and her head was back on my shoulder.

After a few minutes, I could hear faint breathing. She fell asleep. And I felt kind of stupid. What kind of person makes out with someone then goes to sleep without another word?

Image

"Brandon. Brandon, wake up!" I groggily opened my eyes to Vanessa shaking me like no tomorrow.

"Ugh, stop that." My hangover was like a metal rock band in my head on continuous repeat, full volume. I waved my hand in the space left to me, expecting to come in contact with Kayla. Nothing.

"Where's Kayla?"

"She had to go home." She said, standing back up and dusting herself off.

"When's she coming back?"

My sister eyed me, "You're leaving tomorrow. She's not gonna make it in time if you wanted to see her or something. Well, at least the trip wouldn't be worth it" She told me, then continued out the door.

"What do you mean it's not gonna be worth it?" I asked, getting up, myself.

"She lives in Whistler, she left this morning after a few asprins. Didn't she tell you? She was never planning to stay for the week anyways." She waved it off.

I guess that rubberband was invisible to her.

Image

One Week Later

I haven't even heard of Kayla from V. She didn't show up at the airport, and I was afraid my sister would ask random, annoying questions if I asked for her number.

"Brandon! You have mail." My roommate, Fred yelled from the living room.

I walked down the small hall and down the stairs. I grabbed the envelope from Fred and ripped the top flap open without checking the return address.

Dear Brandon,

I apologize for not saying goodbye. I had to head home, something I hope I will be doing soon. I hope you don't mind me taking up your offer. I will arrive on September 30th at John Wayne airport. I'll be waiting at the international arrivals. I understand if you don't come, but I thought it would be smart to inform you. I'll be waiting,

K. Thompson
♠ ♠ ♠
WHOOOO. i found this difficult to write. probably cause it's a one shot. not just a drabble. i'm not good at endings, only beginnings.