Private Universe

Skin Feeling

I stared at tight black strapless dress I was wearing. It was nothing special. The only thing that made it look remotely attractive was the red shoes I had spent a fortune on. They were patent leather red and there wasn't a scratch on them. They didn't have a heel and I was okay with that. They looked gorgeous anyway. My hair was pulled into a tight bun with forward bangs. As far as make up went there was a little eyeliner and a gloss to make my lips shine.

"This is as good as it's going to get." I sighed and grabbed my shiny black clutch and headed for the door.

I was off to a graduation party for one of the wealthiest people I knew. We were barely even friends. We had been on better terms when I was still in high school as a senior and she a sophomore. In all honesty I was excited to get away from her when I left. She was clingy and obsessive. It did bother me that she has so much money, though. It was people like her that didn't deserve it.

Her name was Holli. It was an odd way of spelling her name and I liked that part. Thinking that she might be interesting to be around with a name like that. Boy, was I wrong. She always managed to get the boys she wanted without a care in the world. She would go to the best school and not have to pay for it. She would be able to do anything she wanted because she had money. I, on the other hand would work until I died to get some of the bigger things I wanted.

I had accepted this fact too. It had been my mother and I as long as I could remember. I never remembered having a father but when I had asked her about she started to cry. I felt awful about it but she told me not to worry. She said that the tears were mostly happy and only a few were sad. Then she explained that my father was the love of her life. And for a time he had been the most important person in her life. She told me of a time when she couldn't even imagine life without him.

And they were happy. He came from money but when he married below himself his parents cut him off. Both had to get a job but it didn't matter because as long as they had each other they were happy. My mother told me that when I was born it was the happiest day of each of their lives. Sometimes I think it's total bullshit and she makes it up to please me. But she showed me pictures of me and my father together during my early birthdays.

When I see those photos I can believe for a second that we were happy. Even if we didn't have enough money to eat food. I did remember my mother crying for months when he died. He worked as a coal miner and he had been in the wrong place at the wrong time when the mine exploded. I sighed again and looked out of the cab window.

I was on my way to the party that was to be held at one of most popular clubs in the city. Holli's parents gave her anything. So she was probably going to have a band and a new car. Like those really awful sweet sixteen shows where the people get everything they want. That's how this party was going to be. Just like a sweet sixteen but in graduation style.

As the drive pulled up to the curb I got my money out to pay him. I gave him the money and thanked him as I got out of the car and headed toward to entrance. I was so not looking forward to this. It was going to be my worst nightmare. I walked up to the man with a clipboard.

"Name?" He said not even glancing up.

"Zooey Evans." I said getting out my invite.

He took my invite and let me in. I could immediately feel the heat from all the people dancing and I was glad I didn't bring a jacket. There was no way I was going to need it in this room. There was an upstairs lounge that I assumed was for VIP guests. As I passed the stairs my assumptions were confirmed. Before I had a chance to find something to drink I heared my name called from the top of the stairs.

"Zooey!" It was Holli. In the most ridiculous dress I had ever seen. It was a ballgown in a light tan color with sparkles and glitter covering the entire thing. It was strapless and so long you couldn't see her feet. Her hair was up in curly ringlets with a typical tiara on top. She picked up as much of the dress as she could and made her way down the steps. The guy guarding the steps let her pass after pulling back the red velvet rope.

"It's so good to see you!" She pulled me into a hug and I did my best to act like I was enjoying myself.

"You too. How was graduation?" I asked.

"Amazing. We had like the best performers by far. But once one person started crying the rest of us did. It was so sad!"

"I bet."

"But how are you? I haven't hardly seen you! It's been what...?"

"Two years." I smiled sheepishly.

"Wow. Two years! That is insane. We need to catch up. Come up to the VIP lounge when you get the chance, okay?" I nodded and she smiled before turning back to the man with rope. "If this woman here comes by," She said pointing to me. "Let her up. She is one of my VIP guests."

"Got it." He said.

"Thanks, John." He nodded at her as she made her way up the stairs. I walked away before someone else could talk to me.

What I really needed was a drink. But being at a graduation party where only a select few were even twenty-one I was content with a soda. I stayed near the bar area not really wanting to converse with people. They were all a few years younger than me and there wasn't really anyone that was going to understand anything I had to tell them. They all liked to party and make out. There was so much more to people as they got older.

"Rough night?" The guy behind the bar asked.

"Not really. I just don't want to be here."

"And why is that? The host a bitch?" I gave a short laugh.

"Only a little. She's sort of an old friend."

"Sort of?" He questioned.

"I was good friends with her two years ago. When I was graduating." I smiled and took a drink of my soda.

"You've all ready graduated?"

"Mhmm."

"Why are you back here?" He smiled.

"Cause I can't say no. And she doesn't know I don't like her all that much."

"I see. Well, since you aren't here by choice I give you drinks on the house all night." He smiled and hanged me another soda.

I laughed and smiled back. "Thanks."

At that moment there was a voice coming from the stage. I looked up to find a scruffy looking guy with a Grey beanie and flannel shirt at the microphone. His jeans were insanely tight and he looked about as excited as I felt to be here. The guitar player had black hair with a white streak. It would have looked odd by itself but on him it worked. I couldn't really see the drummer or the bass player but I was sure they looked like the rest of them. The singer started to talk into the microphone again.

"We're All Time Low and we would like to congratulate miss Holli King!" Everyone on the dance floor cheered. I rolled my eyes and took a seat at the bar. I was going to be in for a long night.

Their songs were catchy and upbeat. Just what every teenage girl wanted. I could tell that most of the girls were drooling from the sight of the singer. He was attractive but there were better people out there. I was kind of excited when they ended and got off stage. I turned back to the bartender and he grinned at me.

"Not a fan of the band either?" He asked.

"I don't really know who they are."

"Ah."

"Must be one of Holli's favorite bands. She wouldn't have them here otherwise."

He chuckled. "So true."

"Does it ever get boring being a bartender?" I asked curiously.

"No. There are always entertaining people. Especially when real drinks are involved." He grinned at me and I couldn't help but giggle.

"I think it would bore me. Just to watch some of the same shit every night. People getting drunk and falling all over each other?"

"Ha ha. It's not that bad. Far more entertaining." I rolled my eyes at him. "Fine, then. If you think it's so boring what do you do for a living?"

"Currently unemployed." I grinned. "But I'm trying to get a tech job for the summer. There's one open and they are still interviewing people. I've all ready been interviewed."

"I see. That sounds far more boring." He gave me a sideways glance and then helped the guy that sat down next to me.

"Can I get something with alcohol?" He asked.

"Sorry. Barely anyone here is even old enough to drink alcohol. Soda or Kool-Aid?"

The guy next to me sighed. "I'll take a Kool-Aid." He looked around and sat down and that's when I recognized who he was. He was the singer of All Time Low. And up close he was far more attractive.

"Kool-Aid?" I asked.

He looked at me and grinned. "Yup. Why?"

"I've never seen a grown man drink Kool-Aid before."

"It's delicious. Full of sugar."

"Yeah, cause I'm sure you need sugar."

"You're the one drinking soda. That's got sugar and caffeine." He grinned and I glared at him. "I'm Alex. Alex Gaskarth."

"Gaskarth?" I questioned.

"Abso-fuckin-luely."

"Huh. I'm Zooey."

"You have a last name Zooey?"

"Maybe." I grinned.

"I see how it's going to be. Well, Miss. Zooey No-Last-Name, what brings you to this place?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Please don't be serious."

"Why not?"

"Cause everyone is here for the same reason."

"Right. Holli." I rolled my eyes and took another drink of my soda. "Not a fan of her?" He grinned.

"She's just different than me."

"How so?"

"Age. Maturity level. Things she's interested in. You name it. We've got hardly anything in common." I looked at his puzzled face. "What?"

"If you guys aren't close why are you here?"

"Cause I don't know how to say no." I smiled.

It was his turn to raise an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Don't get any ideas."

"Why? Are you not eighteen?"

I guffawed at him. "Please. I'm 21."

"Really?" If it was possible he was even more interested.

Before I could say anything else Holli was on top of us giggling like an idiot. She still had her ballgown dress on. I laughed to myself thinking that she should have been changed into her fourth outfit by now.

"Hi, Alex." She grinned.

"Hi?"

"I'm Holli." She looked like one of those crazy fans at concerts. The ones nobody likes.

"Oh! Congrats!" He said giving her a hug that looked so painfully forced. I giggled at his pain.

"Holli, I'm going to go. I've got an interview tomorrow and I don't want it to look like I've been up all night." I said getting out of my seat.

"Really? Do you have to?" She whined. Jesus, I hated it when people whined. It never made me want to do anything for them.

"Yes." I said flatly.

"Okay." She sighed.

I hugged her one last time while whispering congratulations in her ear. I grabbed my clutch and headed for the door. Before I got the chance to leave I felt a hand on my arm. I turned around to find Alex grinning at me.

"What?" I questioned.

"Don't be so awful. I was just going to ask you if I could call you sometime. You seem...down to earth." His face fell as he realized what he said.

"Down to earth?"

"Sorry. I'm kind of butchering this, aren't I?"

I smiled. "Only a little."

He grinned back. "So is that a yes?"

"No. I don't have time for a relationship right now. I have too much on my mind. I'm sorry."

"It doesn't have to be a relationship. We can just have sex." He grinned again.

I shook my head and walked away without even saying goodbye. I hailed a cab before he could chase after me again and headed home. It had been such a mistake going to that party. It did me no good what so ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think and leave a pretty little comment. [:
Let me know about spelling mistakes and I'll fix them.

Title credit goes to Crowded House.