Private Universe

Too Much

"No. The amp goes here." I pointed to the front of the stage. The rest of the tech crew were trying to set up sound check for the guys. Only they were doing it wrong. There was so much that could go wrong with the way they set things up. Especially with All Time Low being so rambunctious on stage.

"Fuck, no. It's not how they like it." Devon said.

"I don't care! With the way you're setting this up they are going to get hurt."

"Bullshit. We've had it like this for years." He said.

I sighed and told myself to breathe. "I don't give a fuck. It has to change."

"Then you do it."

He stormed off taking the rest of the crew with him. I was all ready the one they hated. And there was no way I could move all those amps alone. I didn't have the strength for it. I paced across the stage trying to figure out what I was going to do. I wasn't paying attention and I bumped into someone who steadied me with a hand on my waist. I looked up and saw Alex.

He grinned at me. "You look stressed. What's wrong?"

"No offense but your tech people suck." I shook my head and sighed.

"How so?"

"I'm trying to tell them how to set up everything. I know you guys have had it their way for years but it's...wrong. You guys are crazy on stage so things have to be a certain way. And they don't listen." I said.

"Like what?"

"Like the drum set needs to be on a piece of carpet. It not only makes playing drums smoother but it keeps them from tipping over the wires that go under them. And these amps needs to go to the front of the stage. You get better sound and they stay out of the way. And you're wires need to be taped down so you don't trip over them when you walk around."

"That makes sense to me. Why didn't they listen?"

"I don't know. But I can't move this shit on my own."

He laughed. "I'll help. I'll get the guys to help too."

"No. You guys shouldn't have to."

He waved me off. "Don't worry. It could come in handy if the tech bus breaks down and we're on our own for the next show." He grinned.

He jumped off the stage and went to get the rest of the band. They had been messing around on the floor where the crowd would be later. Mostly they had been throwing a football around just to keep busy. Alex returned with the rest of them in tow.

"What needs to be done?" Rian asked.

"Okay. Since it's your drums you need a carpet."

"Got it." He set off to move the drums so we could get the carpet down. I found the carpet and the guys helped roll it out. Jack helped set up the drum set again.

Alex and Zack helped me fix the amps to where they needed to be. I instructed them to tape the wires to the floor of the stage. Then I stepped back to look at it. Something was needed and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. They were staring at me waiting for me to say something. And then I got it.

"Have you guys ever had blocks to stand on?" I asked.

"Once maybe? I don't remember." Alex said. "Why?"

"Because. If you had them the crowd would be able to see you easier. And I think it would just be fun." I smiled. "Be right back."

I ran around trying to find big blocks of wood that someone could possibly stand on. I almost screamed with joy as I found two in the back of a closet. I grabbed them and practically sprinted back to the stage. I set them near the front of the stage and had Alex stand on them.

"Do you feel safe on that?" I asked.

"Yeah. It feels fine. I actually like it a lot." He said.

"Good. Now, we need to go through at least one upbeat song. Just to make sure this is going to work."

They all nodded in agreement and started tuning their instruments as I went to the sound area. The sound guy at least still liked me so he was willing to help. They waited for me to give them a thumbs up and when I did they started a really upbeat song. I didn't know it, but I liked it. When they finished I ran to the front of the stage and saw them grin at me.

"That was amazing!" Jack said.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah! Like it sounded really good for once." He laughed.

"It did. It made Jack actually sound like he could play his instrument." Alex grinned.

"I finally felt like my drum set wasn't going to tip over." I heard Rian say.

"I also love these block things. They are perfect." Alex said.

"Good. I hate to do this to you guys but we have to move it off to the side." I said.

"Understood." Alex said.

We set to work about moving the drums off to the side and covering them up. The guitars and bass were moved off stage to the side and so were the microphones. It was a lot easier to move it off than to get it on.

"You know we won't be able to help set up later?" Alex said while helping me move one of the amps.

"I know. I don't know what to do."

"We could talk to Devon-"

"No. He won't help me and I don't want his help. I'm considering one of the other bands techies."

"We Are The In Crowd's might. They're nice."

"Cool."

"Oh! You have to meet Tay. She's the other girl. And hilarious. I kind of love her." He grinned at me and I smiled.

"Maybe later. Right now I'm trying to make sure this goes smoothly." I said.

After we moved everything off the tech crew from We Are The In Crowd started to set up for them. The show was in a couple hours and they still needed to do a quick sound check. They could leave all of their stuff on the stage, though. So it wouldn't be as bad. I asked the tech manager if they would help me later and they agreed. I wanted to cry because they were so nice.

I met their singer and only girl Tay, who was so nice and funny. I was glad she was on tour with them for some dates. I was going to need a best girl friend. I was still wearing Alex's beanie. He hadn't asked for it back since I got it. I was going to have to give it back eventually. No matter how much I really enjoyed wearing it.

Backstage, everyone was warming up. All Time Low were busy playing video games since they had a couple hours before they went on. We Are The In Crowd looked nervous but excited and Mayday Parade were just chilling and talking to everyone. Then I remembered everyone needed dinner.

"Okay, guys. I'm getting dinner for everyone. I'll start with you guys." I looked at We Are The In Crowd. They were on soon so they needed food.

"Nothing big. We need something to nibble on really." Tay said.

The others nodded in agreement and I decided to find a grocery store and pick up a couple fruit and vegetable trays. Those seems like the best choice. Healthy and small. I got some pita bread and humus. I picked up lots of water. If they wanted anything with alcohol they were buying it themselves.

I returned to the venue filled with people and the bands jumpy. I found a table and started setting stuff up. I guess I had picked the right stuff because everyone was eating something. And soon enough it was time for We Are The In Crowd. I watched and was amazed at how well they got the crowd pumped for the show. I also made a mental note to buy their CD. They were really good.

I helped get stuff off stage when it was time for a set change. If it was possible the crowd get bigger and more crowded. I was so thankful that I wasn't there. I would have had issues with people being that close. The Mayday Parade techs took over and I was grateful for a break. I went backstage and found the guys messing around. I smiled to myself and took a seat on the couch that was backstage.

"Having fun?" Alex asked sitting next to me.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm so tired. How do people do this for weeks straight?"

He thought for a minute. "That's such a good question." Then he grinned.

"The tech people hate me." I said.

"No, they're just not used to be told what to do. And not used to being told they do it wrong." He smiled. "It will get better. I'll see what I can do. Maybe have our manager talk to them."

I smiled. "Thanks."

"Let's just hope tonight goes well. Nice and smooth. If it doesn't we might have to fire you." He joked.

"Ha ha. Very funny." I said sarcastically.

"It will. I'll do my best not to die."

"Thanks."

I could hear Mayday Parade on their second to last song and that's when Alex got up and started pacing around the room and singing. Everyone else was warming up with their guitars or bass or just playing air drums. I smiled as I left to find the techies that would be helping me. As Mayday Parade finished their techs got everything off and we were on to set everything up. I looked out at the crowd and almost choked. The venue was packed full of people.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my favorite chapter. But I swear the next one is better. I might write a little more later.
It was getting long and I didn't want to bore you with it. [:

Title credit goes to All Time Low today. :D

Andddd. We The Kings and The Downtown Fiction rocked the other night. I've got bruises and everything still hurts.
Travis Clark is unbelievable nice. So is Cameron Leahy. ;D
Enjoy! Comment? Subscribe? I'll love you forever. <3