Start a Revolution

s e v e n

John walks into his kitchen, throwing his jacket over the back of one of the chairs.

"Mom?" he calls, but was greeted with silence. She must still be at work. This is the fifth time she's worked late his month. John sighs before pulling open the refrigerator.

His Dad was once again away on a business trip. He was always gone for some stupid out-of-town meeting, which left John to hold up the house. He rolls his eyes. How come his parents are never home, let alone even talk to the family? John was left all to himself mostly, so he usually just invited his friends over.

But instead of doing just that, he walks toward the window that overlooks his backyard.

Now that he was practically six feet, if he stood on his tip-toes and gazed at just the right angle, he could see the top of the Hemingway house. At one time, he used to cherish the sight. Now he despised it with every fiber in his being.

John slams down his soda harshly. How dare they? How dare they show their face around Arizona after what their family put his family through? It was just barbaric!

He shakes his head and rips his cell phone out of his pocket.

"Kennedy?" he asks once his friend answered. "Yeah, bring Garrett and Pat. I'm ready to get out of here. Night out with the boys?" When Kennedy agreed, John grins. "Good."

__


Drew breathes in roughly, hauling Mitch onto her hip. Her parents were having a "date night" and was forced to babysit. It wasn't her ideal way to spend Friday night, but she went along with it to appease her parents. Her mom still wasn't talking to her after Drew asked why they hated the O'Callaghan's, and Drew wanted to give them some space.

Mitch was being really uncooperative tonight, though, and Drew was getting more angry by the second. First he refused to eat his food, and then he threw his sippy cup when she suggested he get in the bathtub.

So she called Lisa.

And speaking of the devil, Drew groans in delight when she hears her front door open. "What is so important?" her best friend asks. "I was gonna watch Fear Factor."

Drew growls as Mitch tries to squirm away from her. "I need help. My little brother is being real fussy tonight."

Lisa huffs. "And you called me?"

"You know how much Mitch loves you!" the shorter girl says as she attempts to get Mitch to hold still. His chubby little hands were trying to grasp onto the counter, where the cookie jar was located. "Every time you come over, he's waddling along behind you like a puppy. I'm just asking you to help."

The blonde girls scoffs before coming over and taking the little boy out of her arms. Drew droops in exhaustion. "Fine," Lisa sighs. "But we're going to get pizza. I was about to make some food before you called."

"I thought you were about to watch Fear Factor."

"And eat food - Drew, you need to pay attention!"

The Hemingway girl just laughs before telling Lisa to dress Mitch in some different clothes. She trails upstairs and goes into her bedroom, grabbing a clean shirt and not one that had chocolate milk all over the front of it.

Five minutes later the girls were moving out, walking down the street to get to Casanova Brother's only two blocks away. Mitch trailed along beside them, his hand in Drew's.

By the time they reached the pizza place, it was swimming with customers.

"Oh jeez," Drew breathes. "We might as well, just find a chair instead of getting it to-go." Lisa agrees and they manage to spot one empty booth by the window. They sit down, Mitch sitting on the outside. His sister hands him a menu and he begins looking through it, not even reading what it said.

"So, about prom - "

"Lees!" the other girl groans. "It isn't for months. Can we talk about it then?"

"We need to talk about it now!" she sighs. "Everything has to be perfect. The dress, the shoes, the make-up, the hair, the dates - "

"What makes you think I even want to go?" Drew sighs, smoothing a hand over Mitch's hair.

Lisa rolls her eyes. "Oh, please. You haven't gone to a dance since Homecoming in ninth grade. You are going to this whether you like it or not. It's our senior year, Drew! We have to make at least a small appearance at what is the greatest night of our high school lives! After this is over, we won't matter. We'll be released into the world. Don't you want to have some remembrance of being young and dancing like a wild - "

"Okay, okay!" Drew laughs, shaking her head at her friend's spiel. "I'll think about it." Lisa grins. "But that doesn't mean I'm going. I'll just put more thought into it."

The blonde girl smiles. "Whatever. You'll eventually agree to go."

Drew sighs heavily again, looking over the menu just as the waiter walks over. "Can I get you ladies anything?" he asks flatly, not even looking at them as he asks the question. Drew rolls her eyes before asking for a simple cheese pizza and three Cokes. The guys walks away without so much as a goodbye.

"Wow, what great service," Lisa scoffs. "But their pizza is orgasmic."

The other girl gasps and covers her brothers ears. "Hey! 3 year old at the table!"

"Sorry."

Drew makes a face before storing the menus back behind the napkins. And just as she was about to ask Lisa about their Science homework, she hears that chuckle that makes her hairs stand on end.

"Well, well," John O'Callaghan says. "Hello there. May we scoot in with you? All the other booths are taken."
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, this chapter seems kind of half-assed. Sorry if it isn't very good.
I'm kind of tired and this story is dragging me down. I have writers block. Boo.
But hopefully it isn't THAT bad. Thoughts?

roll_your_eyes_at_me
lilac encouragement;


Hey! Still go check out my co-write? Thanks. Storybook Endings