Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Bloody Hands p3

I didn’t think Mira’s face could get any more shocked. “Who?” she asked, even though it was obvious she knew. Duh. I thought.
“Her!” he said angrily, pointing at me and then putting his hands on the desk right beside her. “You know as well as I do that humans cannot be trusted to keep a secret of this magnitude!” He looked at her, waiting for a response, but all Mira did was look at him, almost looking like she was in a trance herself. He stood back up, rubbing his hands together.
“But luckily for our sake, I have a solution for this problem.” he said, and then looked at me hungrily, a nasty smile on his face. Mira looked over at me in horror and all I could do was sit there and watch as my death stared me right in the face. I didn’t want to die, not like this, not here. I was 17! I had my whole life ahead of me! I didn’t want to die at the hands of some evil vampire!
The next thing that happened was so fast, though it was like it was happening in slow motion. After Rudi said that, Mira lunged towards me just before Rudi, and got in front of me before he hit. “Kota, run!” she said and held her hands out in front of her to brace for impact.
I sat there for half a second before the words clicked in my head and I jumped up just as Rudi collided with Mira. But I didn’t see what happened after because I was running for the door and reached it just as three blurs sped into the room and then suddenly five sped out, leaving the room empty.
“Kota!” Connelly said, grabbing me up in his arms. “Are you alright?”
“He knew! How did he know about me?” I said, terrified.
“I don’t know. He didn’t let anything out before he said it. He knew Ivan was listening.” he said.
“Where did they go?” I asked, looking back into the now empty room.
“They took him somewhere they don’t have to worry about being seen.” he said, walking me away from the Math room. He looked into my eyes and I could see that he was scared for me, but he was also scared for Mira.
“Where’s Ivan?” I asked.
“He’s looking after Sue.” he said.
“Go with them.” I said and stopped walking.
“No, I won’t leave you.” he said, knowing I was talking about his family.
“You need to go help Mira. I know she got hurt when Rudi slammed into her.” I said.
“No.” he said. “There are enough of them to go against Rudi. I need to protect you.” he said, his face saying this conversation was over. He wasn’t going anywhere.
“Well then, where are we going? Did those three other bad guys go after them?” I asked.
“No, they’re here somewhere. I don’t know where to take you. I can’t take you to my house because I would endanger Moran, but I can’t take you home because they already know where you live.” He looked down in frustration and sighed, his eyes pained.
“I don’t know why they want you.” he said, his voice showing that he was in pain. “Why would they want you? You’re just a human, no significance to them.” He looked out in front of him, thinking hard.
“Leave me here.” I said.
“What? That’s insane! They’ll kill you!” he said, looking at me like I was mad.
“Not with all these people around.” I said.
“Did you not pay attention back there? Rudi just tried to attack you, here in the school!” he said.
“That’s because I came into the class early and alone. I have that class with Louis and I’ll just stay with him and the guys until we all go inside together. I’ll make sure I have at least one person with me.” I said, looking into his eyes assuredly.
“I can’t leave you.” he said. “I can’t.” he put his hands on my arms and looked at me painfully.
“I’ll be okay.” I said, looking into his eyes. “I promise.” He sighed, looking down, knowing that this was really the only option that might work.
Then he kissed me, almost bringing me to tears because he was doing it like he’d never get to kiss me again. Like I might die. “I love you.” he said, his throat making it hard for him to talk. I looked in his eyes and saw that he was close to tears too.
“I love you too.” I said, choking up too. I let one tear come loose and run down my cheek. He caught it with one finger, and brushed it away, looking back into my eyes. Then he kissed me and disappeared.
I looked down, covering my face with my hands and cried. I couldn’t believe this was happening. I knew that somehow, this was entirely my fault. I felt like just going home and crying myself to sleep, like sometimes you just want to do.
“Kota?” a voice said and I looked up at Dale. “Kota, what’s wrong?” he asked, his eyes pained and his voice worried. But he didn’t wait for the answer and pulled me into his arms. I accepted them thankfully, wrapping my around his neck and burying my face in his chest.
“Kota, what’s wrong?” I heard another, more angry voice and looked up to see Louis rushing over. I could tell that seeing me like this killed him and I tried to stop it.
“I’m fine.” I said, letting go of Dale’s neck and wiping away the tears. “I was just upset.” I said.
“What happened?” he asked, murder for whoever did this in his eyes.
Just then the late bell rang and I mentally sighed in relief. “Nothing, I have to get to Math.” I said, turning to go, but not before I saw Louis’s eyes and knew he didn’t buy my excuse.
“I’ll come with you.” he said and fell in step beside me.
“No, I’m fine.” I said, speeding up, but he kept pace with me.
“I have this class too, remember?” he asked, looking at me.
“Oh, yeah.” I said and he cracked a smile. We walked into the class, which was already full, and I reseated myself at my desk, my stuff still there, though it was in a different order than before. One of Connelly’s family had picked it up I knew, because when Rudi collided with Mira, they slammed into my desk and knocked a lot of them over.
“Now, you mind telling me what happened?” Louis asked, leaning over to me.
“I told you, I was just upset.” I said, which was technically the truth.
“Upset about what? I know there’s something you’re not telling me. And I have a feeling that it’s about Connelly.” he said, looking over at me knowingly. I looked away from him.
“What did he do? Did he hurt you?” he asked.
“No!” I said, looking at him angrily. “He didn’t do anything.” I said.
“Then what happened?” he asked.
“Nothing.” I said, glaring at him.
“I’m not going to stop until I find out Kota.” he said, looking at me seriously. “I want to know.”
“Then you’re going to be wasting your time, because I’m never going to say anything. Because there’s nothing to say.” I said, looking away from him and down at my papers.