Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Yellow Mimosa p12

I looked at him and said, “I know.” I went over and sat beside him. We were silent for a few minutes, but then I said, “I heard you and Dale talking.”
He looked at me, and then back down. “Kota,” he said.
“Louis, I don’t want you to be a rebound guy.” I said, looking at him and him looking at me. “I want to be with you for you, and I’m pretty sure I am, but a small part of me is still stuck on Connelly.”
“I meant all those things I said, both to him and you.” he said seriously.
“I know, and I meant all the things I said this morning, but it feels like we’re just going too fast. I mean, Connelly left me just last night. I need time to unwind from everything.” I said and he looked down.
I took his hand in mine and he looked at me again. “I want to be with you.” I said, looking deep into his eyes to let him know I was completely serious. “But maybe we could take it a little slower? Just for a little while?”
“Of course.” he said, his face breaking out into a smile and hugging me. “I’m sorry for this morning. I was just so ready to be with you I kind of got ahead of myself.” He leaned back so he could look at me. “It won’t happen again.” he promised.
I smiled. “Good.” I said. “So you’re not mad? You’re still willing to be with me?” I asked as we stood and he helped me with my luggage.
“Of course I still want to be with you. Nothing could change that.” he said, looking back at me as we set my bags outside of my door for the bellboy. I sighed deeply, relieved I hadn’t messed anything up. We finished putting my bags outside my door and then I helped him with his bags, afterwards going down to spend a few minutes relaxing in the club with the others.
“Well Varushka, Sergei, I had a great time today.” I said, looking down the bar at them.
“We had a wonderful time too Kota.” said Varushka, Sergei nodding behind her.
“Well, if you ever want to talk or anything,” I said, sliding down my number to her.
“Thank you, here’s mine.” she said, handing me her and Sergei’s numbers. I smiled at her and put the numbers in my purse.
“Okay kids, it’s time to go. All of your things have been loaded.” said Amelia. She looked us all over, her eyes lingering on Sue and me, the sadness of what had happened clear in her eyes. I didn’t let any of my pain escape my eyes or face, though Sue started tearing up again and I put an arm around her. Amelia let a single apology pass between us before whisking off.
I sighed deeply and looked down, but an arm slid around my shoulders and I looked up at Louis. His face was calm and comforting, his eyes soft and assuring, all of which I needed. I smiled at him and looked down as he led me to the door, Jason comforting Sue behind us, and then everyone else.
“Well, I guess I’ll be hearing from you later.” I said to Varushka and Sergei at the limo door.
“Yeah, I’ll be sure to call as soon as we land in Russia.” said Varushka, pulling me into a hug.
“And not to be too forward, but I’d like to go visit America soon.” said Sergei, leaning down and kissing my hand. “We’ve only been a few times, and only to the coasts.”
“Oh, well I live in Colorado. No coasts there, but we have plenty of mountains and snow.” I said, smiling.
“Really? We’ll probably feel more at home there than in California or New York.” said Varushka, looking up at Sergei happily and then to me. I smiled, hugged them each once more, and then slid into the limo. Louis exchanged a few words, kissing Varushka’s hand and taking Sergei’s number, before sliding in himself and closing the door.
“And we’re off.” said Jack and we all cheered. As we left the sidewalk we waved out the window and the moon roof, Varushka and Sergei waving enthusiastically back.
“Well, I have to say, I liked her a lot.” said Johanna, sitting back down.
“Me too. She was just so sweet, and I was shocked when she said she was rich.” I said.
“I know, I mean I’ve never seen or met anyone rich who was like that.” Johanna agreed.
“Well I liked Varushka, but I thought Sergei was out of this world hot.” said Diane, looking at us and we laughed, nodding in agreement.
“Yeah, he was pretty hot, but he’s with her.” I said, leaning back in my seat between Jack and Louis.
“I can’t believe it’s only been three days.” said Jason, shaking his head in disbelief.
“Yeah, it felt longer than that.” agreed Johanna, leaning on Dale as he put an arm around her.
“I can’t wait to get home.” said Chase, looking at everyone and we all nodded.
“I wonder who they’re getting to do our jobs.” Jack said, looking at Jason, who shook his head.
“I wonder how Suzy and Gary are doing without us.” I said, thinking of the only two other waiters on mine and Sue’s shift.
“I can’t wait until I get home.” said Sue, and I knew she was hoping Ivan would be there waiting for her, but I also knew that he wouldn’t.
“I can’t wait to get in my own bed.” said Dale.
“Mine too.” agreed Johanna.
“I can’t wait to have something other than pasta when I get home.” said Jack and everyone laughed in agreement.
“Hamburgers and fries.” I said, taking in a deep breath as if to smell it.
“Ice cream sundaes with extra chocolate and a cherry on top.” said Chase.
“Pizza and coke.” said Jason.
“Pizza and a coke float.” Louis added and Jason nodded.
“Chicken fried steak with extra steak, extra gravy, and extra potatoes.” Jack said and everyone nodded, agreeing with a smile.
And from Cervia to the airport in Ravenna we named all the things we wanted when we got home, moving from actual meals to snacks, fruits, vegetables, deserts, animals, people, places, and even inanimate objects.
“TV that actually has English shows on it.” said Dale as we headed through the metal detectors.
Jack, Jason, and Chase smiled as they walked through, looking down at me as they did. “What are you three smiling about?” I asked, putting my shoes back on and following the others with Louis beside me.
“We don’t have to stop at the metal detectors this time.” said Chase, looking around Jack and Jason at me.
“Well, I’m happy for you.” I said, smiling at them.
“Do we still get a kiss though?” asked Jack, looking at me hopefully.
“Nope, if you want a kiss you have to stay here.” I said, looking at them in an “Oh well” kind of way.
“Hang on, maybe we could get the next flight.” Jack said, acting like he was going to turn and go back to security, but stopped and smiled. I laughed and shook my head.
“Come, come children.” said Amelia, who was standing at the tunnel to the plane. “We’re leaving any minute.” We all passed her, she and I sharing a glance before I turned away and disappeared from her sight.
I looked down and sighed, but an arm slid around my shoulders and I smiled up at Louis, who smiled softly back. I hooked my hand around his waist, and even though I did this with all the guys, it meant something totally different with Louis.
We boarded the plane and found our seats, which unfortunately was not in a cluster. Louis and I were on the opposite side of the plane from the door and nearer to the back. The seats facing us were empty, being previously assigned to Mira and Alister, and I was kind of happy we were alone.
“I’m glad we’re going home.” said Louis, looking out the window beside him solemnly.
“Me too.” I said, looking at him. “It’s amazing how just three days in another country, on another continent, could make you miss home so much.”
“It’s odd you know, how I like traveling, and I’ve been to a lot of places, but I miss Maxville the most. For the first time in I don’t know how long, I actually felt at home there.” he looked over at me with a homesick smile.
“Well, I don’t travel much, and really this is my first time to go out of America, but even though this was amazing, and horrible,” he and I both nodded at the last part, “I still can’t wait to go home.” I said, looking out as we ascended away from Ravenna and Italy.