Flirting with Danger Bk 1

The Encounter p8

“I have no clue who it could be.” said Sue, later that night after I had told her about my encounter. I didn’t tell her about the smoke though, I thought it might make me sound too crazy and I didn’t want her to overreact like she sometimes did.

We were both in our closets putting up our new clothes. Both of our phones had Bluetooth so we were wearing those little phone things you hook on your ear. We were both quiet for a while, thinking hard on who it could possibly be and why they would do this for no reason.

“Wait a minute — He was really pale right?” I asked, pausing in hanging up a cute yellow country dress.

“Yeah, that’s what you told me.” she agreed.

“What if it’s Connelly or Ivan or one of them?” I asked and Sue immediately answered back.

“No! What would they do that for? What did you do to them to make them have a reason to do that? Besides, Connelly’s been really nice to you, you said so yourself.” she contradicted.

“Yeah, you’re right…… Alister!” I said, my eyes going alight with understanding.

“What? Why would he do that?” she asked doubtfully.

I told her all about the two times Alister had been mean to me for no reason. The time when I was in Home Ec., and at lunch. After I finished, I waited for her answer. She didn’t reply immediately, like she was taking all this in and analyzing it.

“What… What did you do to him?” she asked, sounding a little confused.

“That’s the thing. I didn’t do anything to him. I didn’t say anything to him or about him at all. I haven’t done anything to him.” I said.

I had to admit I was a little excited that I knew it was Alister. I don’t know why I was excited, but maybe it was because it made me a little less afraid now that I knew something about the encounter. Not everything was exactly clear, but it was better than being completely in the dark.

“I don’t think it was him.” she said.

“Why not? He’s the only one of them that’s made a move like that at me.” I was surprised that she didn’t agree with me, but was ready to try and persuade her.

“I’m just not sure he was that guy.” she said uncertainly.

“Sue, he and the theater guy are both abnormally pale and they were both mean to me. How could it not be him?” I asked, incredulous at her stubbornness.

“Maybe he’s an albino.” she suggested.

“I don’t think so.” I said and was sure that wasn’t it.

“Why not? It’s possible.” she said.

“Because he just didn’t seem like an albino. And besides, how many families have you heard of having six albinos in a row?” I reached into one of the bags and pulled out the fedora hat that looked like Connelly’s. What the heck? I thought, so I put it on. I bought it; I might as well wear it.

“True. Well then what is he?” she asked, totally stumped by the mystery of this guy she didn’t even really know.

“What? Say that again.” I couldn’t believe I hadn’t thought of that.

“I said, what is he?” she repeated.

“Sue, you’re a genius.” I said and quickly put up the last two things of my new clothes.

“How? What are you thinking?” Sue had run to her window and was watching me grab my laptop and jump on my bed.

“I can’t tell you right now. I’ll call you in the morning.” I said, already opening my internet.

“Why? Scared it’ll sound insane?” she asked, a smirk on her face.

“Yeah, kinda. See you.” I said insistently.

“Fine. See you.” she said and I could hear a smile in her voice.

I hung up and turned on my radio just loud enough to where it would drown out any noises coming from in the house, but low enough it didn’t hurt my ears and I could think. Then, before I settled down on my bed, I made sure to close my curtain and lock my window. Just because I knew it was Alister, it didn’t make me any less scared. And it definitely didn’t mean that I was going to be totally relaxed either and go on as if that never happened. No, I wasn’t that kind of person.

I hesitated on entering the word on the search engine. I wasn’t just being stupid was I? Accusing someone of not being a human would be totally embarrassing if I was wrong. I forced myself to continue though and typed in the words “vampire legends”.

I shifted through all the junk websites that only showed books and movies about vampires. Finally, I only had three websites that could pass as good information on the subject.

The first one was a chat room where people argued back and forth about how vampires could or couldn’t be real. Some of these guys actually had good arguments. One of them said that if vampires were real, then there would be more murders on a regular basis because they couldn’t hold their thirst for a few weeks or something. Another one argued that there were some vampires that didn’t drink human blood, but survived on animals. I wrote some of this stuff down to think about later and moved onto the second website.

This one was about a disease called psychotic vampires, that meant that a person actually thought that he or she was a vampire and they really drank blood from his or herself or went to a special club where others like them drank each other’s blood. I almost threw up when I read this and quickly moved on to the last one. I didn’t even write it down.

The last one was the most helpful out of all three because it told of all the legends from all over the world, all the different species of vampires, and even their descriptions. There weren’t very many legends; most of them coming from Vlad the Impaler. He was a Transylvanian king that had men, women, and children impaled on tall stakes while he ate under them, their blood dripping on his food.

His father’s title, as Order of the Dragon, was Draco and since Vlad was son of the Order of the Dragon, Draco, they called him Dracula.

As it turned out, most vampires didn’t drink blood and most weren’t even a physical body, but spirits. A lot of these myths were hilarious. Like for example, the Greeks believed that blue-eyed people were most likely to become vampires due to the fact that there was a large lack of blue eyed people in those parts. They were different therefore something was wrong with them. They also thought that red hair combined with blue eyes was a vampiric attribute too.