Flirting with Danger Bk 1

The Encounter p10

“Why are you out here?” she asked, coming to sit beside me.

“I just wanted to relax before the guys get here and we start moving you to your college dorm.” I said and I noticed she winced when I’d said ‘college dorm’.

“Can I tell you something?” she asked and looked up at me.

“Sure.” I said. I didn’t say anything sarcastic because her face was serious.

“I’m not going to law school. I’m going to an art college.” she said and I almost choked.

“You’re what?” I asked. “I thought you were going on the road with your boyfriend.”

“No, I broke up with him last week. I want to be an artist.” she smiled nervously.

“What about mom?” I asked.

“You know she won’t agree, Kota. She wanted me to be a lawyer. Art is too much of a risky job for her.” she stated.

“Well what are you going to do?” I asked.

“Are you going to help me?” she asked anxiously.

“No, I’m just going to let you do it all yourself and watch you get caught. Come on; what kind of sister would I be if I didn’t help you go behind our mother’s too uptight back?” I said; it was a good time to be sarcastic now. Kati jumped up and hugged me.

“Besides, you wouldn’t be able to do it without me.” I said.

“Hey, I did some pretty sneaky stuff before you came along.” she stated as fact.

“Oh yeah, tell me one time.” I challenged.

“Can we get back on subject?” she said, dodging my question and I chuckled.

So, we went inside and got ready for the day. Sue came over shortly after and so did some of Kati’s friends and mine. Dale, Chase, and Louis were there, and when I hugged Louis, he pulled me really close, like we had been friends for years. And it was killing me because he smelled so good. Man, Connelly and Louis were torturing me to death. I almost knew for sure I wasn’t going to survive this.

So, after Sue and I got my parents out of the house, everyone got to work and had Kati’s stuff moved out before I brought our parents back. Then there were some heartfelt hugs exchanged, and a few tears on our mom’s part. I wished her luck and she did the same for me. Then we all watched her drive away in the moving truck.

Then Sue and I went up into my room and laughed our butts off. The rest of the day we read magazines, painted our fingernails and toenails and played with our hair.

“So, what did you look up last night?” asked Sue as she painting her fingernails.

“Oh nothing — Just some legends.” I dodged the question. I couldn’t help but let a little color leak through my cheeks.

“C’mon, I won’t laugh.” she smiled at me.

“Okay, but it’s embarrassing.” I looked at her and she waited.

“I looked up vampire legends to see if Alister was a vampire.” I said and watched as her cheeks bulged and I knew she was fighting down laughter. Then we both burst out laughing.

“And you say I’m the dramatic one.” she laughed.

“Yeah, I guess I should have looked in the mirror.” I giggled.

“So, why did you look at vampires anyway?” she asked.

“Well, I was just thinking — They’re just so cold all the time — They’re faster than anyone I’ve ever seen — And they never eat their food at lunch.” I finished, just remembering the last part.

“Well, maybe they don’t like the school’s food.” she suggested.

“Maybe, but you’ve still got to eat sometime. I mean, I’ve never seen anyone go without lunch every day.” I reasoned, just putting the finishing touches on my toes.

“Well, you’ve got a point, but I still don’t think they’re vampires. No such thing.” she stated, returning to her magazine featuring The Jonas Brothers.

“Yeah, but still — It was a good assumption, even if vampires don’t exist.” I said. Sue peered over her magazine at me.

“Fine, maybe not then.” I said and she returned to The Jonas Brothers.

“So, how are you and Ivan getting along?” I changed the subject, getting the point that she didn’t want to talk about vampires anymore.

“We’re doing fine. He talks a lot more than any of his family. He seems very calm, but we don’t talk that much except for when we dance.” she said.

“Maybe you two need to go out on a date together.” I suggested. I picked up another magazine, careful not to mess up my fingernail polish, and looked at the cover. It was another one with The Jonas Brothers on it, smiling up at me.

“Yeah, but I don’t want to be the one to do it. Isn’t it the guy’s job to do that?” she asked.

“Yeah, I guess it is.” I said. “But maybe you need to hint to him that you want to be more than friends. That’ll get his attention.” I smiled at her and she returned it happily.

“Okay, I’ll try that on Monday.” she looked at her magazine, but I could tell by her eyes that she was picturing what she would do to get Ivan’s attention.

“How are you and Connelly?” she asked suddenly and I looked at her. She was peering over the magazine again.

“Fine. I mean he was really nice the last time I saw him, but those times before when he was horrible still make me doubt a little. I’m not so sure he’s right for me.” I said, looking sadly down at a shoe commercial on page twelve.

“Well, Ivan and Connelly are brothers — Maybe Connelly’s just a little harder to get through to. You’ll have to work harder with him and be more patient.” Sue looked at me encouragingly.

“I’ll try.” I nodded. We read magazines for a little while longer and then we slowly drifted off to a deep sleep. That night I was so tired, but I still managed to have nightmares about the theater monster.