Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Highly Unanticipated p2

“Louis Myles. Nice to meet you.” Louis said, smiling and nodding his head. Connelly’s neck stiffened a fraction, but he nodded casually.

“Ahem.” We all heard and Connelly and I turned around to see that Mrs. Peters was waiting for us. We walked up to her and she smiled caringly.

“What dance will you be performing?” she asked, her pen poised above the paper.

“The tango.” Connelly said and Mrs. Peters smiled.

“You’ll do very well I’m sure my dears.” she looked up to Connelly first, and then to me. Again, as she looked at her son her eyes held a subtle but understood warning, and even though Connelly didn’t act like he noticed it, I knew he did.

“Thank you.” Connelly smiled softly and then led me away and back to the dance floor. I looked back and saw Mrs. Peters already taking down the dance Dale and Cindy would be doing while Louis still looked after Connelly. He caught me looking and cracked a smile, which I returned before returning my attention to Connelly.

Connelly stopped in his previous spot and held up my hand as I walked in an arc from his side to the front of him and then taking my place right in front of him. We replaced our hands as we waited for the next song to begin and I had to ask, “What happened back there?”

“What do you mean?” he asked innocently.

“I mean when Louis introduced himself.” I explained, but his hat was inclined away from me.

“Nothing happened. He said his name and I nodded my hello back. There was nothing suspicious about that.” he seemed defensive. The next song began, another perfect slow song for the Waltz, and we started across the floor.

“If not then why did you get stiff when he said his name?” I persisted.

“I did not get stiff.” he said angrily and I could tell he didn’t have any excuses so he didn’t want to talk about it anymore.

“Okay.” I said doubtfully.

“What? You don’t believe me?” he accused, turning his half covered face to look at me.

“No, I believe you. I just know what I saw, that’s all. Nothing suspicious about someone saying ‘okay’ is there?” I asked. He sighed in aggravation and I gave a small grin.

“What are you smiling about? Is this funny to you?” he accused again, his anger flaring.

“Slightly,” I said and he tensed in anger, “I was just asking a simple question and you overreacted while insisting it was nothing.” I smirked and cocked my head to the side, looking at him with playful eyes. He was silent for a moment, just looking at me, and then he finally relaxed, smiling softly.

“So you’re not mad at me anymore?” he asked tentatively.

“What can I say? I’m not known for long anger spouts.” I grinned and his smile widened and he pulled me closer.

“Good, because I didn’t mean to hurt you.” he said quietly. And with the hand that was holding mine; he slid it down to my wrist and brought it closer to him. He looked down at its burned redness and softly brushed over it with his thumb.

“That feels good.” I said, looking at him then back to my wrist. Then he wrapped his hand around my wrist and I sighed happily. He looked down at me and smiled at my reaction.

“I’m glad you feel better.” he said.

When the class was over, Connelly bowed to me and brushed my wrists again before leaving with his siblings. Sue then walked over to me and we stood together and watched Connelly and Ivan leave.

“He’s amazing.” I said almost in a whisper.

“Definitely perfect.” Sue said, but I knew she meant Ivan.

“Well, you two seem pretty close.” Dale said as he and Louis walked up to us.

“Yeah. I guess so.” I said, still in a trance from Connelly.

“You together yet?” Louis asked, eyeing me curiously.

“No, not yet.” I said and headed to the bleachers for my stuff. Louis walked me to my car and gave me a particularly close and long hug, waving as he watched me drive away.

“Louis is really trying to be with you Kota.” Sue said in a solemn tone on the way home.

“I know, but I don’t know what to do. I think I’m going to be with Connelly. I’m pretty sure he’s close to asking me out.” I said, my eyes still dazzled from Connelly. I hadn’t told Sue about what happened at the lake, thinking it would only make the situation worse.

“Are you okay? Kota, you look really odd.” Sue looked at me worriedly.

“I don’t know. I just can’t seem to think clearly or focus on anything.” I said and shook my head.

“Well, you better start focusing because you’re driving and I don’t want to be in a wreck.” Sue said, tightening her seatbelt.

“Don’t worry. I’m fine. I’m better.” I said. I shook my head again and blinked my eyes a couple times. We got to work and then home in one piece and I went straight to my room. I dumped my bags by my desk and then went to the bathroom. I leaned over the sink and splashed my face with cold water, hoping to wake me up from whatever was wrong with me. I waited to snap out of it while I washed my face and changed into my pajamas.

I left the bathroom back to my room and went to my bag. Maybe doing some of this homework will bring me out of it. I thought and settled into my Literature homework. I breezed through it, but I had to constantly pull myself out of a replay of the day. Then I worked on my Math, Biology, and all of my other classes until I was out of things to work on. But by that time it was late so I gratefully went to bed.

The next day, I finally felt normal again. The trance had ebbed away in my sleep, but it still gave me weird dreams that I only half remembered. I slid out of bed yawning and went to the bathroom to get in the shower. After I was done, I blow-dried my hair, straightened it, put on makeup, got in a black dress and a pair of black high heeled boots, my fedora hat, put all of my homework in my bag, grabbed my purse and ran out the door.

Sue was just coming out of her house and waved when she saw me. I waved back and climbed in my car.

“You have fun yesterday?” Sue asked as we headed to school.

“Yes I did. I couldn’t believe he was so sweet, I mean compared to his previous actions.” I said.