Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Highly Unanticipated p8

Though Ivan didn’t say much, he just stood there and looked scared and nervous. He was leaning on the wall with his arms crossed over his stomach and looked really stressed.

“Okay guys. We’re all here so let’s begin. Mrs. Peters?” Coach Bailey said and then backed away to make room for the dance instructor.

“So, how’d it go?” I asked as he wrapped his hands around me and we took our stances to dance.

He sighed. “It was tough, but they’re okay. They’re just worried that you won’t keep your mouth shut. You have to understand, this is very serious and it’s important that you don’t say anything to anyone.” Connelly looked down at me seriously.

“I know. I won’t say anything unless I get your okay.” I promised and he smiled.

“You’re so easy to be around sometimes.” he said.

“Sometimes?” I asked.

“Well, other times — You have a little temper yourself you know.” he said like he was confessing it.

I smiled. “I know.”

“Your mother looks nice.” I said, looking back at Mrs. Peters.

“Thank you. You look nice too. I like the hat a lot.” he complemented. I blushed and he smiled. We turned our attention back to his mother.

Mrs. Peters showed us the moves to the tango again with Alister slowly first without music and then with music. She showed us how to find the beat and keep with it. “Just try to feel it instead of just hearing it. Okay, now you try.” she smiled gracefully and let Alister go back to Mira.

We all coupled up and started moving when she restarted the music. I really liked the tango; it was fun.

“Why is your mother here?” I asked as we moved across the floor.

“She’s our dance teacher if you haven’t noticed.” Connelly was confused by my question.

“I mean why is she our dance teacher.” I revised my question.

“Oh, she used to be a famous dancer over in Europe. She traveled all over, but then when we all got together she decided to teach. She loves it so much, not even what she is could stop her passion for it.” Connelly smiled over at his mother. She caught him looking at her and smiled lovingly back.

“What does your dad do?” I asked.

“He’s a Math professor.” he smiled.

“Mathias is the best of all of us about ignoring his thirst. Amelia is second.” he explained.

“Amelia is your mom I assume.” I said and he nodded.

“Where are you on this list?” I asked.

“This isn’t really the best place to be discussing this, Kota.” he said, smiling down at me.

“Oh, right.” I said, smiling back and then we continued dancing in silence. I looked at his face, so pale but not sickly looking. In fact, he looked better than most tan men I saw. I traced his face with my eyes, around his eyes, to his perfect nose, his lips, down to his chin and then back up to his lips. They were too dark against his skin, but the same color as a normal pigmented person’s. Then a thought struck me about a characteristic that was well known about vampires.

“Why don’t you have fangs?” I suddenly asked. He tensed, looked around and then back to me.

“Shh! Don’t ask me things like that here!” he hissed and I looked down again.

“Sorry, I didn’t think.” I apologized.

“Well then try to think next time before you ask a thing like that.” he said coldly. Then he sighed. “… I’m sorry. It just scared me for a minute.” He lifted my face to look at him, showing me his eyes.

“It’s okay. It was my fault.” I said.

“Do you see the temper that I have?” he asked, easing the tension.

“Yes.” I answered and he gave me a look. I giggled, happy that he wasn’t angry at me anymore.

“I will answer your question later though — When we’re alone.” Connelly promised me.

“When will that be?” I asked.

“When I drive you home.” he answered.

“But I have to drive Sue home.” I reminded him.

“Oh.” he seemed to have completely forgotten about Sue not having a vehicle.

“I’ll figure something out.” he said and then suddenly the music stopped.

“Excellent! It looks like we have a good group here Coach Bailey.” Mrs. Peters said happily to the coach, who smiled proudly.

“Okay guys, that’s all for today, but keep practicing. You and your partner will have to work with each other and make a schedule to practice. And if you need to change partners or need help on making your practice schedule, just come to me and we’ll work something out.” Mrs. Peters ended with a heavenly smile, leaving many of the boys stunned, including the coach. I couldn’t really blame them though, Mrs. Peters was beautiful.

“Hang on. I have to go talk to Ivan.” said Connelly and he walked off to his twin, leaving me to go grab my things.

“Wasn’t that amazing?” I heard Sue say behind me and turned around to see her practically beaming.

“Yeah it was. Why are you so happy?” I asked.

“Me and Ivan are getting closer and closer and I’m so excited.” she trembled with joy.

“I’m happy for you.” I hugged her.

“How’re you and Connelly doing? It looked like you were fighting there for a minute.” she said.

“Oh, it was just a little misunderstanding but we fixed it. It was my fault —”

“I told you that it was not your fault.” Connelly interrupted me, now suddenly at my side. Sue smiled at us.

“Sue, will you excuse us for a moment?” asked Connelly and he smiled heavenly. She returned his smile and nodded. He took my hand and pulled me away.

“You need to stop that.” I said when we were out earshot of anyone.

“What?” he looked confused.

“Smiling so brilliantly at everyone. You’re going to make them permanently dizzy.” I looked at him sternly.

“What are you talking about? How do I make people dizzy?” he asked, but then it clicked in his head.

“When you smile, you make them light headed and even paralyze some of them. I—”

“Do I make you light headed?” he grinned. I looked at him.

“I-I—maybe.” I stuttered, but managed not to give him a straight answer.

“Paralyzed?” he smiled.

“Maybe.” I said again.

“How?” he asked.

“Um, what were you going to tell me?” I changed the subject hurriedly.

“Ivan’s going to drive Sue home so I can drive you.” Connelly looked down at me happily.

“Is he going to tell her what he is?” I asked and raised my eyebrows.

“Oh yeah.” he said and ran back over to Ivan. I stood there for a minute, watching them whisper swiftly back and forth. Then, after we were almost the last ones in the room, Connelly came back to me and Ivan went over to Sue.

“So?” I asked.