Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Our Family p2

I picked up the paper and unfolded it. It said, “Don’t worry. I’ll let you copy my notes. Oh and I would like to meet your family soon.” I looked at him again, but he was looking at the teacher so I couldn’t say anything back. I didn’t get another note from him for the rest of the class. When the bell rang, Sue and Chase went on without me, knowing I would be with Connelly. In some way, I felt like I was ever so slowly drifting away from them. I felt a little sad, but when I looked at Connelly, all else was forgotten.

“Why do you think you need to meet my family now?” I asked.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Because we’re not officially together are we? And besides, we’ve only known each other for two months. Is that long enough to do that?” I asked as we entered the hall.

“Haven’t you ever had a boyfriend before?” he asked.

“Yes, but it was never serious. I mean, we couldn’t do anything. We couldn’t even drive yet. But ever since I turned sixteen, I’ve had tons of offers.” I said.

“Any I know?” he asked.

“No, most of them don’t go to school.” I smiled thankfully.

“Then how do you meet them, on the street?” he seemed confused.

“No, where I work.” I smiled and chuckled.

“Where do you work?” he asked.

“At ‘The Southern Experience’ in town.” I said, looking down.

“Oh… Why do you keep bringing up that we’ve only known each other for two months?” he furrowed his eyebrows at me.

“Well, it’s just that we haven’t known each other for a long time and you’re moving kind of fast.” I said.

“How long do you think it should take to get this far?” he asked.

“I don’t know.” I admitted. “Maybe I should just let it go the way it wants to go.” I looked at him.

“That’s a good idea. You need to loosen up. Now, about us not being together — If you don’t mind, I’d like to take the position of your boyfriend.” he looked at me half happy, half nervous.

“I don’t mind in the slightest.” I smiled. He beamed at me and I blushed.

“Good, now it’s all settled. I’ll meet your parents tomorrow night and you’ll meet my family this weekend.” he smiled happily and we stopped at my Home Ec. class.

“Are there any other plans you’ve made up for me?” I said, smirking. He looked into my eyes and a grin spread across his face.

“I’ll get back to you on that. I still have to find a place we can go to be alone. See you at lunch.” he smiled at me one last time and then left. I stared after him. How could a beautiful angel like that be interested in a mere mortal like me...? I guess I’ll never know. I thought.

“Kota, what are you standing there for?” asked Louis as he came up to me with a confused look on his face.

“Nothing, I was just thinking.” I said and followed him in the classroom.

“Oh? What about?” he asked curiously.

“Oh, nothing important — Just stuff.” I said, dismissing it.

“Good stuff?” he asked.

“Yeah, good stuff.” I agreed, smiling absently as I wrote down our assignments and accepted the papers that were being delivered back.

Louis and I were quiet as we did our work and I had the same feeling about him as when I’d seen Sue and Chase. I wanted to be with Connelly, but I also wanted to still be close with my friends. They were all very important to me and I didn’t want to drift away from them. I had to do something about this, but what?

I spent the rest of the class thinking of ways I could renew the closeness between us that had been ebbing away.

We could go to a club – no, wait. We have to be twenty-one to do that. Well we could go to one of those family oriented clubs. That could work, but I don’t know if we have any around here. We could, all of us, go camping at the lake on a weekend. Yeah, that could work!

Well, we just went to the lake the weekend before, but now that it’s getting cooler… Oo! We could see some movies! As long Louis doesn’t get flirty though… We could go camping! Dancing! To the mall! I smiled at my own cleverness and then finished my work and read the rest of the class away happily.

Louis read too, after he was done, and we enjoyed a relaxing silence together. When the bell rang, we got our stuff, went to our lockers for our other stuff, and waved at each other as we went to our next classes. I smiled as I thought that maybe Louis was beginning to just want to be my friend. And my nerves eased as I was happy that I wouldn’t have to deal with having to choose between them, especially since I had a boyfriend. Finally, my life was getting simpler. Well, if you count dating a vampire as simple.

I walked into Biology and over to Dale who smiled when he saw me. I sat down and we shared an easy silence as we wrote down assignments.

“You’ve been with Connelly a lot.” said Dale as he got out his things.

“Why do you bring this up every time?—”

“No, it’s not like that this time.” he interrupted.

“Then what is it like?” I asked, raising one eyebrow in confusion.

“It’s just that you haven’t been spending very much time with us, your friends, and we miss you.” Dale looked at me sadly.

“What are you talking about? All we ever had time to spend together was at lunch.” I reminded him. I was trying not to make a big deal of it now since I had the answer to the problem.

“But now we have the dance and you two are partners. I was going to ask if he would like to sit with us at lunch.” he said.

“Really?” I asked, my eyebrows raised.

“I figured, if he’s going to be with you all the time now, I’m still going to get my time with you.” he smiled.

“Thank you. I’ll ask him.” I said and hugged him. He wrapped his big arms around me and squeezed tightly.

“Excuse me.” We froze and looked over to see the teacher watching us. We let go of each other instantly and stared at her nervously. “If I catch you doing that one more time, I’ll have to separate you two.” Her eyes narrowed and then she spun around to the blackboard. We looked at each other and smiled. I nodded my thanks, he nodded his welcome, and we leaned over our papers.

“Come on.” whispered Dale when the bell rang. He grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room before the teacher could call us back. We threw our stuff in our lockers and then ran towards the lunch line.

As we were running, someone’s foot shot out in front of me and I tripped. I tensed, waiting for impact with the floor, but it never came. Instead, I felt someone catch me and put me back on my feet. I opened my eyes and looked up to see Ivan smiling at me.

“Are you okay?” he asked. I smiled at him and he winked at me.

“Yes, I’m fine. Thank you.” I said and we started walking to lunch.

“How’d you know?” I asked.

“I can read minds remember? I heard you thinking about how bad the bruises would be and since I was closer than Connelly, I came running.” he said and smiled.

“Thanks.” I said and smiled back at him. Ivan was so sweet and such a good guy. I’m glad he was with Sue. He had a nice smile, friendly face and personality, and the prettiest moss green eyes I’d ever seen.