Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Suspense

“Someone call 911 because I think I’m having a heart attack!” Sue’s happy voice screamed through the phone Saturday morning.

I was sitting on my bed, eating cereal and watching “Mystery, Alaska”, starring my favorite man, Russell Crowe. It was four o’clock and I hadn’t been able to sleep, being so psyched out about it being Saturday. Though that didn’t mean I was happy to be up this early.

“What happened? Though I assume it’s not an emergency because I’ve never heard someone so happy to be having a heart attack.” I said, looking down and getting another spoonful of cereal.

“Oh you assume wrong,” Sue said in a dramatic voice with a suspenseful edge. “This very well may be the most emergency situation of my entire life.” she continued.

“Oh really?” I said dramatically back. “And what pray tell, is this monumental, record breaking, emergency”—I swallowed—“of your life?”

“You won’t believe what happened last night.” she said.

“What?” I asked.

Then, just as I thought she was going to tell me, she said, “You know I tried to call you last night? But you didn’t answer your cell phone so I called your home and your parents said you were sleeping. Wh—”

“Oh would you get on with it already? My Russell Crowe movie is almost over and I’m missing it. And you know how I get when I miss Russell Crowe.” I said.

“Oh, yeah. Sorry.” she said and I rolled my eyes. If she was doing this on purpose to stretch out the suspense, I’d say she broke it five minutes into the conversation.

“Ivan asked me out!” she yelled excitedly and I yelled too, but then slapped my hand over my mouth. My parents were still asleep. I waited for a moment silently, listening for a yell, or footsteps, but when none came, I sighed in relief.

“That’s great! Sue, I’m so happy for you!” I said in my regular, but still very happy voice.

“Thanks.”

“You see, I told you it would happen.” I said.

“I know, I should have listened. What was I thinking?” she said happily.

“I don’t know. You know I’m always right.” I said. “Okay, now tell me everything.”

“Okay. Well, after dance practice, Ivan drove me home. Then he walked me to my door and asked if I would like to go on a date to the state park. You know, for a picnic. And well, I stood there shocked for a minute, but then I gasped out a ‘yes’ and he smiled so huge. Then he hugged me hugely, kissed my hand, bowed to me, and then started walking home.” she said.

“Man, I bet you were excited.” I said.

“Yeah, so excited that when he was out of sight, I almost fell on my butt because my legs stopped working. I had to practically drag my legs through the door and then crawl upstairs. I also think I might have fainted too.” Sue said and I laughed.

“Sue, I think you are the most dramatic person I have ever met. But I am so happy for you.” I smiled.

“Oh Kota, I can’t stop shaking and I think my face might be stuck in a permanent smile for the rest of my life.” she said.

I smiled as I set my cereal bowl on my nightstand. “That is exactly how I felt when Connelly asked me out.” I said as I walked into the bathroom and started brushing my teeth.

“I can’t believe it. We are going out with the two best guys in the world!” Sue said. “And Dale said that they never dated anyone.”

“Yeah, a little off on that assumption.” I said. “But then again I guess he is kind of right though. They never did date until now.”

“That’s just because they were waiting for girls as good as us to come along.” she said and I laughed.

“Exactly.” I said, putting my toothbrush down and then going and sitting on my bed again.

“So, why are you up so early?” she asked.

“Because I’m really excited and nervous about today.” I said, messing with my toes.

“Why? What’s going on today other than the thing with Connelly?” she asked.

“Well, because after the thing with Connelly, I’m going to meet his parents. I’m excited about it all, but then I’m nervous too. I mean, what if I make a fool of myself and” — I stopped myself just in time before saying ‘get killed’ and instead said, — “and then Connelly doesn’t want to kiss me anymore? What if I do or say something wrong and Connelly’s parents, or family for that matter, don’t want Connelly to have anything to do with me?”

I slapped myself in the forehead for my incompetence after I finished. How could I be so stupid? I almost sold out Connelly’s secret! I can’t believe I wasn’t paying more attention! I sighed heavily, the phone away from me. Okay, I told myself, You have to calm down. After all, you didn’t say it. It’s still okay. I reassured myself and then brought the phone back to my ear.

As Sue assured and promised me that it would all be okay, I walked downstairs to put my bowl of cereal up. After about what felt like a million hours of talking, I told Sue I had to go because I was going to fall asleep any second. And after she hung up, that’s exactly what I did.

That is, until I had this totally horrible nightmare.

In this dream, I got up because I was getting ready to go with Connelly. I needed a shower, but when I pulled back the curtains, the melodic sound of the ballroom music started up and I was struck with the scene of two strangers, in ballroom attire, ballroom dancing in my bathtub. I then turned around, for some reason only being confused as to why there were two complete strangers dancing in my bathtub and not angry or creeped out, and headed to my closet.