Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Suspense p6

We danced to several tango songs, kissing several times while doing them, and doing all kinds of moves to them. Then we listened to regular songs, both fast and slow, dancing to each and having so much fun.

After slow dancing to “Whatever It Takes” by Lifehouse, Connelly led me back over to the little beach, where we laid down and looked at the stars that were beginning to show up. We laid there for I didn’t know how long, just holding hands and being together. The silence between us was calm and contented.

“I’m sorry.” Connelly suddenly said and I looked over at him. He was lying on his side and looking at me, my hand intertwined with his on his chest.

“What?” I asked.

“About today. I’m sorry.” he said, and then glanced down for a minute.

“What about today was bad? You finally kissed me! How could this day be anything other than the best day of my life?” I said, lying on my side too, smiling.

He looked down sadly. I reached over and brush his face, making him look at me. “How can you dismiss everything so readily? So easily? What I did was so horrible.” he said, looking away again, shame in his face.

“Because I can.” I said and he looked at me sideways.

“But what I am… I don’t deserve such feelings from you, my body’s intended prey.” he said, looking at me.

“I don’t think you understand how I see things.” I said.

“How do you see things?” he asked, a small smile on his lips.

“I don’t see you as some evil monster that I should be scared of. I see it as I have my own superhero.” I smiled.

“I’m nowhere near to being a superhero.” he said, looking down.

“Why not? Because you’re a vampire? Because you’re supposed to be dangerous to me? You haven’t hurt me once. And every superhero has their own dark secrets.” I said and he looked at me sideways again, the corner of his mouth turning upward into a half smile. I smiled back and then he leaned in, brushing my cheek with his hand, and then kissed me. I laid back on my back, my hand on the back of his neck.

He looked at me, smiling lovingly. “Do you know why I was acting the way I was this morning?” he asked.

“No.” I said.

“Because this feeling, these feelings I’m having make me feel so human.” he looked down at me, grinning.

“Why do hate yourself so much? Why do you hate what you are?” I asked, giving him a troubled look.

“Because what I am is monstrous. I shouldn’t be like this, I don’t want to be like this.” he said, a little frustration coming out in his voice.

“But you are.” I said and he looked at me. I sat up and brushed his cheek. “And I don’t care.” I said and he closed his eyes. I smiled a little and brushed my hand over his eyes.

“I don’t understand how you can just dismiss such a big horrible part of me.” he said.

“Because I can.” I said and he opened his eyes. He looked at me like he was almost on the edge of frustrated tears. “Don’t reject who you are Connelly, because you can’t change it. Don’t automatically assume you’re evil just because of what you are. Being human isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, so don’t be so eager to become one of us. So weak. So easily killed.” I said and he smiled at me.

“I love you.” he said, his eyes getting wet with the buildup of tears.

“I love you too.” I said, a few tears falling from my eyes as well and he hugged me tightly. Then, slowly and tenderly, he brushed his lips from my neck, to my jaw, to my lips, and kissed me.