Flirting with Danger Bk 1

Sleighs, Sculptures, and Salsa on Ice p5

“But didn’t you hear what Jason said? We look best together. We, not you and him! Me.” Louis grew softer on the last word as he walked forward, reaching out for me. He grasped my face tenderly and was centimeters from kissing me, but I managed to look away just in time.
He ended up kissing my cheek again and I roughly shrugged out of his grip. “Louis, don’t put me in that position.” I glared at him, though I was partly in pain.
“What position?” he looked confused, though he knew completely what I meant.
“I have a boyfriend. A boyfriend who loves me. And I don’t want to mess this up.” I said and he looked down slightly.
“I understand.” he said. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Then he turned and left. I stood there for a minute and then ran up to my room and cried myself to sleep.
I didn’t understand why what he did had this reaction on me. I mean I had feelings for him in the beginning, but I loved Connelly, not him. Louis and I were friends, nothing else. I wanted to be close to him, but I didn’t want this problem to cause us to not be able to be friends. I woke up a few hours later and desperately dialed his number.
“Kota? What’s wrong?” Louis asked, not sounding at all like he had been asleep.
“I— I just wanted to make sure this whole fiasco that happened earlier didn’t jeopardize our friendship.” I said quickly, like I was afraid that I couldn’t get it out otherwise.
“Kota,” said Louis.
“I want to stay friends Louis. I don’t want us to fight about this. I want to stay close to you.” I said. I didn’t know why I was telling him this or sounding like I was, because I knew there was a possibility that he would take it the wrong way, but I just couldn’t help it. I wanted him in my life.
“Kota,” he said again, “it’s not going to jeopardize our friendship.” He sounded slightly amused as he said this and that made the corner of my mouth turn up in a smile.
“Really?” I said.
“Really.” he said softly. “Now go back to sleep. You sound really tired.” I could hear a smile in his voice.
“Okay. Good night Louis.” I said.
“Sweet dreams Kota.” he said and we hung up. I smiled, feeling much better now, and fell asleep with a smile on my face.
***
“Kota,” said a sweet voice in my ear. “Kota, wake up my love.” The voice brought me out of my dreams as light filtered through my lids. I opened my eyes and for a second everything was blurry, but then snapped together and I saw Connelly in front of me, his face inches from mine, his smile going from ear-to-ear, and his eyes a dark maroon.
“Your eyes,” I said as I lifted myself up on one arm.
“I couldn’t be safer if I was human.” he said, brushing hair out of my face and looking lovingly at me. I smiled tenderly and kissed him. He kissed me back and hugged me, bringing me into his lap.
“Did you have any bad dreams?” he asked, his face in my hair.
“No, why?” I asked.
“Your eyes, they’re a little puffy.” he said.
“Oh.” I said, trying not to act unusual.
Why aren’t you telling him? Ivan’s voice suddenly sprang in my ear, but I was used to it by now.
Because if he knew, he’d kill Louis and I don’t want that. I thought.
But he needs to know! He has the right to know. he argued.
I can’t tell him, Ivan. I can’t mess this up. We just got through a major thing, and if I tell him what happened, it could ruin everything. Besides, I handled it. I didn’t do anything wrong. I thought, though part of me thought it sounded a little like an excuse even thought it wasn’t.
Yes it does sound like an excuse, Kota. He should still know. he said.
Don’t speak a word. I said.
Fine, but I’m not gonna say I don’t see this coming back to bite you in the butt. he said and then was gone. I sighed mentally.
Oh and by the way, you might want to change the mood and subject because he’s starting to wonder if you’re not telling him something. he said and then was really gone.
Thanks. I thought.
“Oh my gosh.” I said, looking down in surprise.
“What?” asked Connelly.
“I forgot to tell you that we can’t spend all day together.” I said, looking up apologetically at him.
“Why not?” he asked.
“Yesterday, the guys roped me into posing for their snow sculptures in the contest and I’ve got to be there today so we can get started. I was going to tell you last night, but this thing happened and it completely wiped it from my mind.” I said, which wasn’t a lie. The thing with Louis really had wiped it from my mind, but I wasn’t planning on telling him just what kind of thing.
He looked down slightly, showing his unhappy expression. “I’m sorry.” I said, and he looked up at me. Just then I noticed that it was still dark outside my window, which was still ice and snow covered and the light I had seen was my ceiling light.
“What time is it exactly?” I asked, looking at him.
He looked at me and there was a smart smile on his face. “Three o’clock in the morning.” he said.
I smiled and shook my head in disbelief, starting to laugh. He chuckled with me, growing happier as he did until he stood up, still holding me, and proceeded to spin in circles.
“This is great!” I said, “We can spend tons of time together before I have to go with the guys.”
“We have plenty of time to do the things I’ve planned for us.” he smiled as he slowed his spinning and put me on my feet, but holding my shoulders because I was swaying a little.
“Does this mean that you have a schedule?” I asked as I made my way over to my closet successfully without falling over.
“In a manner of speaking.” he said, following close behind me.
“Can I be included in the plans?” I asked.
“No,” he said, but when I turned around added, “It’s a surprise.”
“Well then, how am I supposed to know what to wear?” I asked, planting a hand on my hip and giving him a look.