Status: El Fin.

Temporary Bliss

Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Friday, finally.

The only bad part about today was that I had work. I had gotten a job at Jamba Juice over the summer; I don’t really know why I did it either.

Right as the bell rang I darted out of class and headed straight to my locker. I shoved my books on the top shelf and quickly grabbed what books I needed over the weekend. I quickly zipped my backpack and threw it over my shoulder and slammed the locker door shut.

I ran like a maniac through the school hallway, bumping into plenty of people on my way out. I darted out the door and down the cement stairs, opting out of jumping down the last three like I normally would. I fumbled with my keys as I pulled them out of my purse and hit the unlock button more than necessary. After tossing everything into the back seat I put the key into the ignition and immediately backed out, knowing I’d be late for work if I stuck around.

I pulled into the parking lot of Jamba Juice right at 3:30 after driving well over the speed limit. I grabbed my backpack and darted inside; we were allowed to work on homework if it was slow. I clocked in and set my backpack in the back room. I took a deep breath, mentally cursing my boss for making me work at 3:30. I turned my phone on silent and placed it in the back pocket of my jeans then grabbed an orange apron off of the wall on my way out.

I turned the corner and ran right into someone; I looked at the guy, noticing I’d never seen him here before. I gave him a small smile, “Sorry.” I apologized and moved around him.

“Wait, are you Charlotte?” he asked, causing me to stop walking.
I spun around and gave him a curious look, “Yeah…?”
“I‘m Michael, but you can call me sexy.” he responded.

I took the time to take in his features, brown eyes, short black hair, and pierced ears. Then he smiled, and I noticed his cute dimples.

“I‘m new, Carrie said you were supposed to show me the ropes…” he drug out, Carrie was my manager.

I sighed, she would stick me with a newbie on Friday night, “is anyone else here? Or is it just you and me?”

“Just us two.”

“Dammit. Alright, well grab an apron and let‘s go, it‘s going to get busy.” I spun back around and headed behind the counter.

“Damn, girls got authority.” he said as he appeared behind me.

I rolled my eyes and started explaining how to prepare everything. In the end we settled on him working the register and myself making the drinks. After the late afternoon rush got over we started making conversation.

“So what school do you go to?” I asked casually.

“Lincoln High.” he replied, sitting on the counter.

“No way, really?” I laughed, “I go to Poway High.”

“Oh shit, rivals.” he laughed, “I definitely shouldn‘t be talking to you.”

“You also definitely shouldn’t have your butt on that counter; Carrie flips shit if we sit on it.”

“So? She isn‘t here.” he shrugged. “You‘re not gonna tell her, are you?” he inquired.

“Nope.” I smiled, sitting up on the counter next to him. “What made you want to work here?” I asked, confused that he even got a job with his ‘I don’t give a fuck’ attitude.

“My parents made me.” he rolled his eyes. “They said they were going to send me to boarding school or kick me out if I didn’t. Trust me, I don‘t want to be here.”

I hopped off the counter and decided to be productive and started washing a few dishes.

Once our shift ended and our replacements came we walked out to our cars together.

“You‘re pretty chill, you know that?” he spoke up.

I looked over at him and smiled, “yeah, thanks.”

“Think Carrie will let me work with you all the time?”

“Doubt it.” I shrugged.

“I‘m gonna ask her to, she won‘t be able to resist my charm.” he winked, I felt my cheeks warm up and flush a light shade of red. “Apparently neither can you.” he pointed out. “No girl can resist me.”

“Yeah, whatever.” I rolled my eyes and quickly got into my car and headed home.

*** *** *** *** ***

On Monday I worked with Michael again, and on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I had learned so much about him without him telling me. He was cocky; not kidding, he thought he was the sexiest thing ever. He was also such a flirt; he flirted with nearly every girl that walked in. He sang a lot too; when no one was in there besides us two. He did have a sweet side, but he rarely showed it, I’ve only seen it once.

I was working with him on Tuesday, I had known him for a good solid week and we had already become good work buddies, we weren’t really friends, because we didn’t talk outside of work. He must have gotten Carrie to have him work with me and only me. I ignored his cocky and flirty behavior and we always ended up having a pretty fun time at work, he always kept me entertained.

I was washing dishes while he was telling me about his strong hate for math when I heard the door open and walk in, thus pausing our conversation.

I didn’t even bother to look who it was and then I heard a familiar voice say, “I‘ll have a Charlotte please.”

I spun around and smiled at the sight of Cameron, he was looking over Michael’s shoulder at me. “For here or to go?” I asked, standing beside Michael.

“I‘d like you to go, but if you can‘t leave, here will have to work.”

I glanced up at Michael, “You think you can close up?”

“yeah whatever, no one should come in the next thirty minutes.”

I turned to Cameron, “I‘ll be right back.” then I ran back to put my apron away. I walked back out and gave Cameron a big hug, then turned to Michael, “Thank you soooo much Michael! I owe you.”

He shrugged, acting like it was no big deal, “I‘ll think of something.”

I gave a quick wave as Cameron laced his fingers through mine and began leading me out to his car.

“So where are we going?” I asked excitedly as I leaned against the passenger door of his car.

“Well.” he started, smiling a flirty smile. “First, we‘re going to take your car back to your house.” he gave me a quick kiss on my lips. “Then, we‘re going to go to my house for dinner,” he paused and gave me another kiss. “and maybe a little more this…” he winked, kissing me slowly.

I giggled and pushed him away from me a little. “I‘ll see you at my house then.” I gave him a peck on the cheek and ran off towards my car.

As I was driving to my house Cameron drove along side of me and would send me flirty looks. He pulled up a long side of me at a stop light and signaled me to roll down my window; I did and turned my radio down.

“Where are you going, pretty lady?”

“Just home.” I laughed.

“Mind if I follow you home?” he winked. I shrugged. “I‘ll take you back to my place for dinner.”

Just then the light turned green and I took off, leaving him at the light. I pulled into my driveway and a few seconds later Cameron pulled in.

I got out and he quickly pinned me up against my car, “You never answered me back at that light, you just left me hanging.”

“I answered you when you picked me up from work.” I smiled.

“I wanted two answers.” he chuckled, brushing his lips against mine. I gave him a quick peck and pulled back only to have him lean farther in and kiss me intensely. As his lips started to make their way from my jaw down my neck I pushed him back a little.

“Cam, my parents are inside.”

“I know, I know. Sorry.” he said, rubbing his face with his hands and then running a hand through his hair.

“Let me go tell them I‘m heading to your house, then we can leave, okay?”

He nodded, walking back to his car and climbing in.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Title Credit:
Paradise City by Guns N' Roses

I think I finally convinced myself that I'm not okay.