Status: Active

Hear You Me

Say Hello, Say Hello

Joely Joel,

It’s early February now which means that it’s been five months since I died and a year since I was diagnosed. I know it’s tough but hopefully you’re slowly moving on. One thing I’m sure of is that you haven’t been to a party since I’ve died. Remember how you used to love going to parties with all of your friends and I loved going with you? Joel, go. Go to a party. There has to be one going on within the near future. I mean it is Arizona. If there isn’t a party, talk to John and I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to throw one. Make sure you take Lila with you.

All My Love,
Holland


Joel wondered how Holland always seemed to know exactly what was going on and exactly what he needed with her letters. He knew she had written them before she died but it was so scary how she knew exactly what was going on in his and Delilah’s lives. It was almost as if she was writing and sending them down from Heaven.

There was a party going on the next night and Joel realized that he was going to have to go to it after Holland’s letter. Sean was throwing the party and Joel knew that his band members along with the rest of his friends would be excited to see him there. They had been trying for months without success to get him to come to a party. Now Joel just had to get Delilah to come with him also. He picked up his phone and dialed Delilah’s number.

“This better be important,” Delilah said as she picked up the phone.

Joel laughed. “Well hello to you too, Lila.”

“You know I have my first test of the semester tomorrow and it’s a big one so the only reason you should be calling is if you’re dying or something.”

“I got a letter from Holland today and she said she wants me to go to a party since I used to love going to them. I guess it’s part of the healing process or something. Anyway Sean is having a party tomorrow so I’m going.”

“Great, have fun. Bye.”

“Wait,” Joel said before Delilah could hang up. “You’re going with me.”

“No. Bye.”

“Delilah Magdalene, you’re going. The guys all miss you and will want to see you.”

“The last time I went to a party with you someone threw up on my shoes.” Delilah grimaced.

“I promise to buy you new shoes if someone throws up on them. Plus Holland wants you to go.”

“Fine, I’ll go. My shoe size is an 8 and I like ballet flats or boots. I really do have to go now though or else I’ll fail my test.”

“College sounds like it sucks.”

“Right now it does.” Delilah answered. “But not all of us can sing to thousands of adoring fans Mr. Rock Star. The nerds in the corner are giving me a death glare because I’m on the phone in the library so I’ll see you tomorrow Bye.”

“See you tomorrow…if the nerds don’t attack you.” Joel laughed before hanging up.

Suddenly Joel was looking forward to the party.

Image


Joel sat on Delilah’s couch as he waited for her to finish getting ready so they could go over to Sean’s.

“Ready?” Delilah asked as she walked into the room.

Joel paused for a second as he looked at her. “Umm…yeah. Let’s go.”

“What?”

“Nothing. Let’s go.”

Delilah rolled her eyes but followed Joel out to his car.

“So what was the look for inside my house?” Delilah asked once Joel pulled out of her driveway and headed towards Sean’s house.

“I don’t know. I guess…umm… Don’t you think that outfit is a little sexy? Your stomach is showing.”

Delilah chuckled. “First of all, this is understated sexy. If I wanted to be sexy I would be wearing something short and tight. Secondly, this is a party outfit. I can’t wear the clothes I normally wear to school to a party. School and a party are two very different types of events.”

“I’m going to have to spend all night making sure guys don’t hit on you.”

“I can handle myself, Joel. I’m a big girl.”

“So do you want guys to hit on you?” Joel asked.

Delilah rolled her eyes. “I don’t know. Right now all I’m thinking about having fun with my friends and drinking a little. Geez, what is your problem?”

“Sorry, I’m just being protective I guess.”

“It’s fine. Now let’s go have some fun,” Delilah said as Joel parked his car.

Delilah and Joel walked into the party and saw that it was bigger than they’d expected. All of the people they usually hung out with were there along with some people they’d gone to high school with. The random people at the party shouldn’t have surprised either of them. Parties were always the worst kept secrets in Arizona and everyone showed up to them.

“Delilah! I haven’t seen you in forever. Glad you’re here,” Alex said as he ran up to hug Delilah.

The rest of the guys in This Century along with Austin Gibbs and the guys from The Maine followed suit and all gave her a hug.

“Wow guys, I’m here too,” Joel said.

“Sorry, we like Lila better,” Sean said.

“Yeah, obviously.” Joel rolled his eyes.

“Hey, she’s prettier than you and has boobs,” John O’Callaghan answered.

Delilah laughed. “My boobs aren’t that big. They’re only a B cup.”

“Still bigger than Joel’s,” Kennedy Brock shrugged.

“Plus he has a penis.” Austin Gibbs laughed as he took a sip of his beer.

“I hate you all,” Joel muttered as everyone laughed.

“Hey Lila, want to be my beer pong partner? Halvo and Gibbs have somehow been champs all night but I know you can help me beat them,” Ryan said as he handed a ping pong ball to Delilah.

“Duh. Let’s do this. Get ready to go down,” Delilah said to Eric and Austin.

“Oh, it’s on,” Halvo joked as the four walked towards the beer pong table.

“It still amazes me that the preacher’s daughter is one of the best beer pong players in town.” Garrett Nickelsen shook his head in amazement.

“It’s just one of my God-given talents,” Delilah laughed.

The rest of the guys followed the four to watch their competitive game but John hung back to talk to Joel.

“Hey man, we really are glad to see you here,” John said as he handed Joel an extra beer. “It’s good to finally see you out.”

“Thanks. It’s been tough but Lila has been a big help.”

“So what’s going on between the two of you?”

“Nothing,” Joel quickly answered. “We‘re just best friends.

John paused as if he wasn’t sure if he should say what he wanted to but forged ahead anyway. “You know, there are a lot worse things you can do in life than fall in love with your best friend and dead girlfriend’s best friend.”

“I’m not falling for Delilah.”

“Ok man.” John smiled before walking off to get another beer.

Joel sighed and started walking around and talking to people he hadn’t seen in months. He got caught up in hanging out with old friends and felt relieved when he realized things hadn’t changed completely. Sure, his life had changed in a big way but he’d always have his friends, Arizona, and parties.

At one point Joel heard a loud cheer from the beer pong table and looked over to see Delilah and Ryan dancing around and cheering while Halvo and Austin argued over which one was the reason for their first loss of the night. Delilah caught Joel looking at her so she smiled at him and held up her finger signaling that she was number one. Joel smiled back and gave her a thumbs-up. Joel watched Ryan and Delilah’s domination for a while but then continued to mingle and reconnect with old friends.

“I have to hand it to you Kanitz, you always get the hottest girls.” Joel heard from behind him. He turned around to see a former classmate that almost no one liked behind him.

“What are you talking about Brantley?” Joel asked.

“You and Delilah. Man she is smoking. I knew there had to be a vixen under that good girl act of hers. I bet she’s good in bed too. I know she’s the preacher’s kid and everything but it’s the good girls that are always the best in bed,” Brantley smirked.

“You need to watch how you talk about Delilah, Brantley.”

“It’s just too bad that Holland is dead,” Brantley said as he ignored Joel’s warning and continued. “A threesome with Holland and Delilah is one I’d love to be a part of. I’m fine with just Delilah though. What I wouldn’t give to feel her skin under my fingers and hear her moaning my name.”

Joel’s anger got the best of him and he couldn’t even think straight. He didn’t even realize he had Brantley pinned up against the wall until her heard a few girls around him scream out in surprise and felt the liquid under his feet from the broken bottles he knocked over when he lunged at Brantley.

“Joel! What are you doing?” Delilah yelled as she ran over to him.

Joel’s friends were surrounding him and telling him to let go of Brantley but he ignored them. Delilah’s voice was the only voice he listened to and her actions the only ones he accepted.

“Joel, you need to let go of Brantley, ok?” Delilah softly said as she gently pulled his arms away. As soon as she got him to let go of Brantley and back off she put her hands on his face and made him look at her. “Hey, calm down. It’s okay. I’m here.”

“Looks like she already has you whipped. How do you not feel guilty fucking your dead girlfriend’s best friend?” Brantley sneered.

Delilah saw what has happening but she had no time to stop Joel’s fist before it connected with Brantley’s nose. She gasped as she Brantley held his nose as he tried to stop the blood flowing out of it.

“I think we better go,” Delilah quickly said to the guys and they all nodded in agreement. She quickly said her goodbyes to them before grabbing Joel’s hand and dragging him out of the house.

“Give me your keys.” Delilah demanded.

“No.”

“Joel, give me your keys. You’re too mad to drive right now.”

“Fine.” Joel grumbled as he handed the keys to Delilah.

Delilah waited until they had pulled away from the house and were driving for a few minutes before she spoke up. “So what was that in there?”

“It was nothing.”

“Well it was obviously something unless you just go around hitting people for fun.”

Joel sighed. “He made a comment about Holland and then he kept making comments about wanting to sleep with you. I told you that you shouldn’t have dressed so provocatively.”

“Don’t you dare blame this on me,” Delilah snapped. “Brantley has always been a douche and a perve. I could have been wearing a nun’s outfit and he still would have made comments so this is in no way my fault.”

“Sorry,” Joel mumbled.

The two were quiet for the rest of the ride to Delilah’s house. As soon as they got out of the car Joel followed Delilah into her house instead of taking his car and heading home.

“I’m going to change into some sweats. You better go wash off your hand,” Delilah said as she nodded towards the blood on Joel’s knuckles.

Joel did as Delilah said and waited for her to come back out. She walked into the kitchen where he was but stayed silent as she filled a glass with water.

“Are you mad at me Lila?” Joel asked.

Delilah sighed. “No, I’m not. I have no clue what Brantley said, and honestly I don’t want to know, but I know it must have been bad for you to punch him. I’ve never seen you that mad before and the last time I saw you punch someone was in high school when your ADHD medicine was messing with you.”

“I shouldn’t have punched him. I just got too caught up.”

“Well thank you.” Delilah smiled and then continued when Joel gave her a questioning look. “I don’t condone punching people but it’s nice to know you’ll defend my honor and protect me.”

“Of course. I’m here for you for anything, Lila.” Joel pulled Delilah into his arms and neither one moved from the embrace for a few minutes.

If anyone had been looking in at the pair they would have seen a girl finding protection and solace in her best friend’s arms and a boy questioning what his feelings for his best friend truly were.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

I know I made you guys wait a little while for this update but hopefully the long chapter and the fact that it was intense made up for it!

I just posted the first chapter to my new story Reflecting Words and would love if you would check it out!

Huge thanks to: elleeann, vices, forevernalways, pelican park., and LongLive;;