‹ Prequel: Birth of an Angel

Transformers: Moments

Moment 10: 'Scorned and Raging'

I began wearing fingerless gloves after a while; people had taken to staring at my burns, and I just wanted them to stop.

Are all human femmes this emotional?

‘Stuff it, Jazz.’ I thought moodily, testing out the wheel of my skateboard to see if it would lock up.

Now, don’t go snappin’ at me. I’m not the reason yer upset.

Grumbling to myself, I twisted the screwdriver much harder than strictly necessary.

Aw, come on, Angel. Talk ta me.

‘There’s nothing to talk about.’ I insisted.

“That her?”

“Yeah, that’s her.”

My jaw clenched as the soldiers (two newbies for the new military group Lennox and Epps were heading) continued their not-so-quiet conversation a few yards away.

“Shouldn’t she be in a cage or something?”

“You want to tell her that? I heard she’s the robots’ pet.”

Now Angel, don’t take it ta heart.’ Jazz voiced, trying to keep my temper from boiling over.

They’re just a couple ‘a glitch-heads.

‘There seem to be a lot of those walking around.’ I thought darkly, holding in a growl as one of the soldiers (the bigger douschebag of the pair) walked up.

“What are you doing, girl?”

“Minding my own damn business, like you should be.” I retorted, keeping my eyes down.

Oh mech…

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” He shot back, clearly insulted.

“That you’re not as quiet as you think you are, jackass.” I growled, standing.

I’m pretty small, even for someone my age, but he backed up all the same.

Alright, I think ya made yer point-.

“And I’m not in a cage because I’m a human being, just like you-though I’m surprised you qualify, what with all of the chimps waiting in line.”

And yet ya keep talkin’…

The soldier pulled his hand back, ready to hit me, but I stood my ground.

If I can look Megatron in the face and cuss him out, I can deal with a temperamental human.

Just as his arm came around in a back-hand slap, and I was preparing to retaliate, something heavy landed behind me and roared.

Clearly frightened, the soldier toppled back at the sheer force of the roar, shaken.

“I didn’t need your help, Guardian.” I muttered, still cross.

You are under my protection until the end of my function. ” She said in explanation, watching the man closely as he scrambled to his feet.

“Private Theodore Evans.”

Her English was much smoother after all that practice, and he jumped.

“Do not think that your insults, or the insults of Private James Anderson, went unheard. Keara is a friend and comrade, and any insults you have for her are given to the rest of us.”

The cybercat bared her fangs, causing the soldiers to back away.

“I am sure Optimus Prime will not be pleased with the way his daughter is being treated.”

Now they looked ready to pee their pants.

Despite his passive nature, Optimus’ sheer size had intimidated all of the new recruits.

“I would not expect to be called back.” Guardian informed curtly, nudging me with a paw to my back.

Picking up my discarded skateboard, I glared at them before walking away, Guardian following at my heels.

I am sorry, Keara.

“For what?” I wondered, distracted from my brooding.

For being unable to stop these rumors. I know they hurt you.

“…It’s normal.” I assured, hesitant.

“I’m trying not to take it personally.”

And failin’.

‘Stuff it, Jazz.’

Yer a violent little femme, aren’t ya?

I couldn’t help a smirk as I pat Guardian’s cheek plate, hoping to soothe her worries.

‘You’re just realizing this now?’