Status: Activeeeeee :D

The Inbetween.

The Board

Can a ghost sleep? I have no idea...all I know is I was sitting on the couch for hours that seemed like minutes...

All too soon, my dad and sister came home. Both were unusually quiet. Dad walked to the kitchen, picking up the phone, probably to call mom...Rachael went upstairs. I followed her slowly, walking through her locked door to find her...half under her bed? I stood there, confused, until I saw her reemerge with an Ouija board.

I blinked. Where had she gotten that from? She was only 8...

She slowly opened the box, carefully taking out the board and placing it on the floor. I sat across from where she would be.

'Worth a try...' I thought with a shrug.

She put the box back under her bed,  within reach, and settled on the floor by the board.

"Manda?" she called hesitantly, using her nickname for me.

"...I-If you can hear me..." she started, gulping. "If you can hear me, would you talk to me?" she asked, holding the little triangle piece between a YES or NO section. I hesitantly reached out, surprised I could actually touch the piece. I slowly moved it to the yes, causing her to break down into tears...

"Why did you leave me, Manda?" she asked accusingly.

I slowly spelled out, 'I didn't want to, Rach'

We continued like this for hours, her asking me questions which I tried to answer. After it was really getting late, I saw her yawn. That's when I spelled out, 'I love you.'

She looked up, gazing uncertainly in my direction. "You're leaving me?" she asked quietly.

I quickly reached up to the no, and when I saw confusion on her face I spelled out 'sleep.' This made her roll her eyes.

"Still the same Manda..." she said quietly. "Will I see you again?" she asked, sadness in her voice. I moved the piece over to 'yes,' looking up as she sighed.

"Goodnight, then, I guess..." I slowly got up, reaching over to mess her hair up. I had forgotten I was a ghost, and my hand just kind of went through her hair...

I heard her gasp, "I-Is that you, Manda?" she slowly reached up, placing her hand on her head. I reached down, pushing the little triangle to the 'yes,' and earning a smile from her.

"G'night, Manda," she said softly, putting away the Ouija board. I sighed, slowly standing up and watching Rachael walk downstairs. She was too young to loose someone already...

I walked out of the house quickly, not able to face them anymore. I collapsed in the backyard, staring at the sky.

"Stefan..." I whispered softly as a tear traced down my cheek.