Status: Complete...Bittersweet :')

What Happens Over the Summer

Chapter 10

I glared at R.J. as he started formulating his story. Lies, I'd already decided.
"Six years ago I was going with this girl back home. We went our seperate ways after about six months, a month later she told me she was pregnant but didn't know if the baby was mine or not. When Max was born they did a blood test and figured he was mine. Her current boyfriend was pissed and said he wouldn't support some other guy's brat and left her. The second I knew he was mine, I freaked and ran."
"Right into me," I said accussingly.
"I still have at least two minuets left. I came to this place on the shore, planning to just camp out on the beach and figure out my life. I knew Kelsey was thinking about giving Max up for adoption. But right in the middle of all my thinking, I walked by this bike shop and saw this girl. Pretty good-looking girl too. And I thought to myself 'no, I'm in enough girl trouble right now'. So for over a week I stayed away. But there was no harm in renting a bike from the shop she worked at every day. And it was convient that she was on break one day when I came to get a bike..."
"So you were flirting with me when your own son was almost put up for adoption."
"I'm not done," R.J. said. "That summer was the best summer of my life. And I got a wake-up call. I knew if I told you what a mess my life was back home that you'd never want anything to do with me."
"You're damn right!"
"So I went back to straighten things out. Kelsey and I made a deal that we'd have shared custody. Only when Max was a few months old she ran and I haven't heard from her since."
I didn't want to say it..."And it took you five years to come back for me like you promised?" Shit my voice had started to hitch. I did not want to cry here.
R.J. stepped close to me and cupped my cheek in his warm, rough hand. "That doesn't even scratch the surface of what's happened in the past five years. Every summer I felt miserable that I couldn't come back for you. But there were other things to be sorted out and this is the first year that I felt like I really had my life in order and could come back." As he'd talked he'd started leaning in closer and I felt drawn to him like a magnet...
"Ah-hem."
And that broke the trance. My eyes popped open and I stepped away from R.J. I didn't have words. I turned and looked at Zeke. "Take me home."
"Jo-" R.J. started.
"I wouldn't right now," Zeke warned the other man.
Zeke put his arm around me in a brotherly way and led me down the boardwalk towards my grandparents' house. R.J. didn't follow.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty short story since the writer's block is still there and whatnot. If it lifts, maybe it'll get longer. But my goal is to finish it before the end of the world/2013, whatever comes first. So comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stuff(2 new stories, hopefully another before too long, several poems, all that good stuff) ;)