Status: Complete...Bittersweet :')

What Happens Over the Summer

Chapter 15

"Room 306," Zeke told me as we sat out in the Comfort Inn parking lot.
I glanced over at him. "You know stalking is frowned apon..."
"So is stalling. Go." He reached across me and opened my door.
I swallowed and swung my legs out of Zeke's car and stood. Very slowly, I shut the door and made my way towards the sliding doors.
"At this rate you'll get there by the time you're thirty!" Zeke called.
I considered giving him an Italian hand gesture. I shuffled a little faster towards the entrance. Once inside, my courage began deserting me. Maybe I could just stay in here for a few minuets then go back out and tell Zeke that it had been no use-R.J. didn't want me back.
Just as I turned to sit at one of the couches in the reception area, the elevator pinged and from down the hall, an elderly couple walked through the lobby, arm in arm. They had to be at least eighty, and they were still obviously deeply in love. I sniffled. I would never have that chance now.
My eyes misted over. No, I couldn't cry in public. I'd never cried in public. I wasn't about to start-even as I was telling myself not to, my tears were beginning to escape the confines of my eyelids and begin their desent downward.
"Jo?"
Great, just what I needed. I turned away from the farmiliar voice and wiped in vain at my eyes. I felt my mascara running; I knew I should have worn water-proof.
"What's the matter? Why are you crying?" The little voice scrambled into my lap. "Are you hurt?" he asked in horror.
I had to smile a little at Max's worry. "No bud," I said. I glanced up at the figure that was standing over me. "Actually," I corrected, my slight amusement falling. "Yeah, I'm hurt."
"Where? I'll kiss it and make it better. That's what my Daddy always does."
"I don't think a kiss will help."
Max turned his blonde head to look at his father. "Daddy, give her a kiss and make her feel better."
R.J.'s eyes widened. "Umm-I don't think that's such a good idea Max."
Max's brow furrowed. "Why not? It always makes me feel better. Jo's hurt. You have to make her feel better."
Well at least one of them seemed to have forgiven me.
"How did you get hurt?" Max asked.
"I did something really stupid."
"My Daddy did something stupid too."
"Max-" R.J. tried to stop him.
"He was crying and I asked him why and he said it was because he did something stupid."
I glanced up at R.J. who's face was flamming.
"I don't think your Dad was the stupid one," I said softly. I turned back to the boy still in my lap. "Max I'm sorry for what I said the other day."
"That's okay. Daddy told me that you didn't really mean it. That you weren't really talking about me."
I smiled at him. "If I ever had a little boy, I would want him to be just like you."
Max's eyes widened. "You would want to be my Mommy?"
Oh shakey ground. R.J. saved me. "Max, I think that's enough."
"But-"
"Max," R.J. said again, the warning clear in his voice.
"Okay," Max said. Then his brow furrowed again. "Why are you here Jo? I thought you lived in that big house."
"I do. I...I came looking for you and your Dad."
Both of their eyes widened.
"To tell you both how sorry I am for what I said. I was...mad and I didn't mean a word of it." I glanced hesitantly at R.J.
He seemed to sofen a litlte.
"That's okay," Max said. "You're for...for...Daddy what's the word?"
"Forgiven," R.J. said and looked right at me when he said it.
"Right. Forgived."
R.J. stuck his hand out to me. "Friends?" he asked.
And my hopes took a nosedive. By sheer force of will I kept a slight smile on my face. Friends was more than I ever hoped for. I took his hand and we shook. "Friends," I agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two chapters probably. One may or may not be the epilouge. Yes I like my epilouges very much. Yes I may have spelled it wrong. Comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stories ;)