Status: Complete...Bittersweet :')

What Happens Over the Summer

Epilogue

The clink of silverware on a glass got everyone's attention away from their various activities along my grandparent's patio. Chief had a silver knife-obviously stolen from the kitchen as all the silverware outside was plastic-and was tapping it against his beer bottle.
"Can I have everyone's attention please?" he called.
Activity ceased to a bare minimum, except for a couple of kids that came barreling past us. R.J. leaned out of his chair next to mine to snag Max from the gaggle.
I didn't want to look Chief directly in the eye because I knew he was going to be calling me out. I had wanted a casual party for precisely this reason. We were celebrating my taking over security on the pier. My grandfather had wanted to go all out and use one of the dinning halls, have everything catered and formal. I just wanted a little gathering in the back yard.
"I've been working security on this pier for...I'm not going to reveal for how long. But I've watched this girl-" he motioned towards me "-grow up. I never thought that kid with the scraped up knees, in and out of detention, in and out of my office, would one day be taking my job. But there isn't anyone I'd rather hand control of this place over to." And for the first time in my life, I thought I saw a tear in Chief's eye. It was gone before I could make sure it was there.
"Same goes for me," my grandfather piped up to save Chief the embarrassment of choking up. "And not only because she's my granddaughter. I feel confident that Jo will be able to run the pier as well as Chief did and one day the pier will belong to her. As much as I'll enjoy retirement, I know this place will be in good hands. So here's to you Jo," he said, tipping his bottle towards me. Many other people joined in and I toasted them back.
"You want to say anything Jo?" Chief asked.
Normally I would have rejected speaking in front of so many people, but today it was all my friends and I had something to say anyway. I stood. "Well I have to say it's probably going to be a big job and big shoes for me to fill," I said with a look at Chief. "So I probably need a bit of a break before I take over next month."
There was silence. Chief and my grandfather's expressions were priceless.
"Well we were thinking," I said with a look down at R.J. "A little vacation in the form of a honeymoon."
Again silence. R.J. and I hadn't let news of our engagement go public yet. But suddenly everyone was talking, coming up to us with congratulations and hugs and well wishing.
"Wait that means we have less than a month to plan a wedding!" Grams said.
"Does that mean you're going to be my new Mommy?" Max asked, looking up at me.
I reached down and picked him up. "I guess it does. Is that okay?"
The little boy contemplated it for a few moments, and I felt real feel sinking into me. But finally, he lit up and said with excitement. "Yeah!"
I smiled over at R.J. and couldn't resist mouthing. "Happily Ever After."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my god I can finally make this one's status "Complete". I'm sorry I've been MIA but I'm back now hopefully for a while. Unfortnately, this is probably the only story that I won't be writing a sequel to. But thank you all SOOO much for taking this story from 0 zero readers to the most popular story I've posted on Mibba. Comment, recommend, subscribe, check out all my other stuff ;) Thank you all again.
-Maggie R. Mason