Status: Complete...Bittersweet :')

What Happens Over the Summer

Chapter 6

"It's a boring story. Summer romance that never carries over to the fall. The end."
"Except it's not. I told you I'd come back," R.J. said.
I couldn't hold back a snort. I couldn't say what I really wanted to because of Max's precense. But I'm pretty sure R.J. knew what I was talking about.
"Take a walk with me?" he asked, standing.
"Hell no."
"Your boss told you to keep an eye on me," R.J. pointed out as he walked towards the door, holding Max's hand.
"Hold on a second and I'll box up your pizza," Zeke said rising. "You can explain everything to me later."
"There's nothing to explain," I hissed.
"Bullshit," was all Zeke said before he disappeared. He reappeared a minuet later with a pizza box that I took grudingly and followed after R.J.
Max pulled his dad towards a ride he wanted to ride and R.J. gave him the tickets. I sat at a picnic table close enough to watch the two, but far enough away that I wouldn't have to talk to R.J. But as I was taking out a slice of pizza, he wandered over to me and said down.
"This is a more private venue."
"Go away."
"But you're suppose to be watching me."
"And you're supposed to be watching your son," I snapped back.
"Okay, touchy."
"You wonder why?" I demanded.
"Look I'm sorry. I'm trying to explain-"
"I don't need a damn explanation from you! A five-year-old explains a whole hell of a lot."
"You don't understand-"
"The hell I don't. Max told me that he was five. Which means he was born either right before us or while you were here."
"Right before."
My face was heating in anger again. I was too pissed to formulate a reply.
"Look I was a stupid kid."
"And now you're a stupid adult. Not much has changed except your age."
"I had just turned eighteen and Max's mother was still seventeen. I could have been charged with rape and I was facing child support bills. Max's mom wanted to get an abortion but me and her parents were against it. When Max was born I freaked and I was running."
"And you ran here."
"I figured it was as good a place as any to hide. Then I met you-"
"And I put you on the straight and narrow right? That isn't the plot of every friggin' romance novel on the market," I said sarcastically.
"Kind of. You were...hell you were you. And I knew you didn't deserve some lying bastard that wouldn't claim his own son."
"You're damn right."
"I went back to make things right with Max, I swear I was planning to come back by the time winter rolled around. But she threatened to give Max up for adoption and there was no way in hell I was letting that happen. So I had to stay home and grow up while trying to figure out how to raise a son."
"Poor you." I didn't want to believe him because if his story was true, then he had a legit excuse for not coming back. "You still could have called or written, email, facebook, twitter. There's a million ways to get in contact with someone these days."
"I couldn't face you back then. I was working two jobs to keep Max in day care. His mother flew the coop a month after I came back and I haven't seen her since. His only grandparents don't want a thing to do with him."
"And what's different now? Besides the fact that I'm madder now that I know you kept this from me not only that summer, but for five damn years?"
"Now I have more financial security and can face you on equal footing."
"What the hell does that mean?"
"You're the only heir to Peter's Pier. You don't have to work for a living; you're rich."
"You're point is?"
He seemed to go blank at that. "I-just thought you wouldn't want to be with someone that wasn't in the same finacial situation that you are. People have probably wanted to date you because of your money."
That just made me madder. Partially because it was true. "So if I wasn't loaded, no one would ever want to date me is that it?"
His eyes widened. "No! Damn it Jo stop twisting my words around."
"Maybe you should just get your words straight. Because you are saying that the only thing actractive about me is my money right?"
"Hell no," he said firmly. "Goddamnit Jo I'm trying to talk to you."
"And doing a piss poor job of it." I stood. It only took me a moment to locate a guard and stride towards him.
I heard R.J. calling for me but ignored him. I had to aplaud him for staying with his kid and not following me. Either that or I could account it that he didn't want to be careless in front of me or the other guard.
I walked up to the guard whom I knew from patroling the same areas frequently.
"Hey Chas. Can you keep an eye on him for me and bring him in whenever Cheif is ready to talk to him? I have to go back on duty."
Chas smiled at me. He had asked me out before. Now R.J. had me questioning if all my dates were after my money. "Sure thing darlin'."
I smiled and left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stories. Thanks guys ;)