Status: Complete...Bittersweet :')

What Happens Over the Summer

Chapter 9

I ground my teeth together so hard that I thought I might crack a few. "Well I didn't know who your father was," I said, looking from Max back to R.J. "And we were friends a long time ago."
"Does that mean you're not friends anymore?" Max asked, tilting his head.
I decided I would have to see my dentist to make sure I wouldn't need caps on my morlars. "No, we're not," I said, looking R.J. right in the eye.
"Oh," Max said, sounding defeated. "I was hoping you'd come ride rides with us today."
God I was a sucker. I got down on my haunches and looked Max in the eye. "Just because I'm not your dad's friends doesn't mean I can't be yours. But I've got to work today Buddy."
"Being a police officer?"
I smiled at his enthusiasm. "Something like that."
"But she gets off at three," Cheif volenteered.
It was Cheif's turn to get the daggers.
"And you fail to know that I have a date tonight," I hissed.
"A date." It was a statement.
"Yout act like that's impossible or something."
"Jo the only guy you ever go out with is Zeke."
And that was exactly what was happening tonight but I was not about to admit that.
"I do believe I'm on duty if this interegation is over," I said, heading back towards the locker room.
"For now," Cheif said. "Your grandfather is going to be very interested in your answers."
I flipped around to look at my boss. "You wouldn't."
"Well he knew you weren't going to come right out and tell him why you delegated something."
"Cheif..."
"I believe it's time for you to get to C Jo."
Fuming, I spun on my heel and stormed into the locker room.

"So wait, wait, wait, start over."
"Zeke you heard every word I said," I whined.
"I know," he said on a grin. "I just want to hear it again."
"Summing it all up, the jerk I basically dated all summer five years ago has a five year old son."
"Want me to loosen his teeth?"
"I wish I could just shoot him and be done with it, but then there's paperwork."
"And the police would get involved."
"This is not why I came to you!" I hissed as we walked along the boardwalk.
"What the hell did you come to me for then?"
"What do I do?"
"You're asking me? What am I a girl?"
"You're my best friend!"
"This is more advice you ask a girlfriend."
"Kate would flip shit," I said, naming my best girlfriend.
"But she could relate more..."
"Uh, no. Her and Jeff just got married; they've been dating practically since Kindergarden."
"So what exactly is it you want me to do?"
"Tell me what to do."
"I don't know what to tell you. Ask him about it maybe? Maybe it's not like it seems."
I stopped and turned on him. "What did you just say?"
"Oh boy here we go."
"That is just what I would expect a man to say!"
"Christ Jo-"
"Don't you 'Christ Jo' me!"
"You didn't used to be this emotional did you?"
Zeke and I both flipped around to see R.J. coming down the nearly deserted boardwalk towards us.
"You stay out of this." Max was nowhere to be seen so I was not holding back.
"Well this is obviously about me so-"
"And how do you know that you conceited ass?"
"Easy Jo-" Zeke warned. He knows how I get when I get pissed.
"Don't you 'easy Jo' me!" I snapped.
"Look Jo I know you're mad-"
"MAD?! That's a tame word asshole, I'm pissed!" I practically yelled at R.J.
"And it's understandable-"
"You're damn right it is!"
"Would you just let me finish a sentence?"
"No!" And then I ran out of steam.
"Well that's too damn bad, you need to hear this."
"No, actually, I don't. I think I have two eyes and a working brain, I can figure out exactly what you're going to tell me."
"Oh, what then?" R.J. crossed his arms over his chest.
My mind goes blank for a split second before I can come up with a retort. "Some story that's going to make yourself look innocent and I know damn well there's no way you can be. Max looks just like you, he's five years old. If I remmeber correctly five years ago you weren't anywhere near him or whoever the hell his mother is."
"You're wrong. I'm not innocent."
"See...what?"
"I never denied that Max was my son. Neither will I deny that he was born right before I met you."
"And just failed to mention that to me," I said, getting over the momentary blankness his honesty brought me to.
"Yeah, you're right."
Again his honesty stumps me, but only for a moment. "Then we have nothing more to discuss." I turn and nod as Zeke and we continue walking, Zeke trailing a little.
"You didn't even give me a chance to explain!" R.J. protested.
"That's all the explanation I need."
Suddenly R.J. is in front of me, picking me up and striding back the way he came.
"Put me down you ass!" I scream. "I know every securtiy guard on this pier and they're all armed and won't threaten to beat you to a bloody pulp on my word!"
And suddenly, Zeke is there in front of us. "All right punk this has gone far enough. It was funny at first but you've crossed that line."
R.J. paused and he looks from me to Zeke and back. "Look I just want to explain the whole story to her. If you can keep her still without yelling at me for five minuets, probably less than that, I swear I'll leave."
Zeke looks at me hard, then back at R.J. "I've been dealing with her for years. In my experience, you might have three minuets. So I'd start now."
♠ ♠ ♠
So my other story is finished so this is my main story right now. Unfortunately I'm having major writer's block so I might be slow on the updating. (Psst. comments keep me going) Comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stuff ;)