Seasons Change

Two - Princess

"Princess?" a soft voice asked from behind me, "what are you doing?"

I turned to face the girl. "Nothing Star, just day dreaming," I mumbled. Star began to speak again, but to be quite honest, I heard very little of it, my mind still in the clouds, metaphorically speaking. If I was correct, she was inviting me somewhere with her and a few of the other girls from my tribe.

"So, do you want to come?" She asked, offering a bright smile.

I shook my head. "No, that's okay, you go on without me."

Her smiled faded to a frown, and to be honest, it shot a pang of sadness through me. It wasn't the first time I had refused Star's offer to join her and the others, and it probably would not be the last. Actually, forget that 'probably'. I knew it wouldn't be the last time. I'd been doing it since I arrived, when I was only young, and I'll continue to do it. I can't help it.

I'd do anything for my tribe, but unfortunately, I'd made a bad habit of detaching myself from them. It is hard to become close to people after you've been through what I've been through.

It was years ago and the majority of the events had become a blur. Unfortunately, that blur still near killed me with sharp stabs each and every time it resurfaced in my mind.

I was only young, still sweet and mild and innocent. The world had yet to scar me with it's unfortunate truths. The evening it happened I was laying down on the back porch, Meg's head resting comfortably on my stomach. Meg was my family's precious golden retriever. At the time, Meg was only 7 or 8 and still as healthy as could be, but unfortunately, if I went to search for her now, I'd likely find her buried beneath the oak in our yard, pardon me, their yard, in a grave marked with a handmade headstone with loving words written in paint.

Meg and I had always been close, and more often than not, I'd wish I were more like Meg. Despite being a dog, Meg had a way of charming others like no one else could, and bringing joy to all those around her. I had always dreamed of being that way, rather than being little old me.

That being said, I didn't want to become Meg. I didn't want my golden brown hair to literally become golden, or my hands to become paws or to sprout a tail or anything, but it happened. Before I could even process what was going on, I had become just like Meg.

After that, all I remember were the emotions. The fear, the confusion, the hatred. Emotions I didn't even know I had. Emotions most little girls shouldn't know they have.

I was forced go run away that day, no one would accept me where I was. They had made it quite clear. No one ever accepts a shapeshifter, except other shifters. That's why my tribe is together. We're all shifters.

As Star faded into the distance, I began to walk down to the center of the camp. There I found a small gathering of shifters crowded around whom I could only assume was King. King was next in line to become the leader of our tribe, and he wasn't slow to remind us all of it.
At that particular point in time, King was boldly reciting a tale of his own, and what it was, I cared not to know. On more than one occasion, King had attempted to impress me with his 'charms,' but I did not give him the satisfaction of winning my heart.

I, rather unfortunately, caught the view of the arrogant man. “Princess!” he called, beckoning for me to come closer.

Reluctantly, I made my way over to him, my feet dragging on the ground as I walked. “Yes King?” I asked quietly.

"Where were you off to?" He asked as I felt him inch closer towards me.

I pushed back away and turned around. "I'm off to do some more research if you must know. We're not going to find the Garden with sheer luck."

"I bet I could find it." he annouced confidently. A few girls squealed at him, for whatever reasons.

Not wanting to start anything, I shook my head and walked away. "Good luck with that..." I mumbled.

He'd never, ever find the garden on his own. We'd been searching for so long, the chances of King going on one of his 'adventures' and finding it weren't even slim. They were even slimmer than that. King was strong and handsome and rather lucky, but he was a bit of an idiot at times. I just wouldn't believe he'd be the one to find the garden.