Status: Fin.

Opposites Distract

I Swear to God.

I licked my lips nervously before getting up from the pew and slipping inside the confessional, kneeling and crossing myself again. “Bless me, father, for I have sinned.”

The last time I confessed my sins was before my Confirmation – nearly eight years ago. Needless to say, I was chock full of sin. I needed to book a priest to myself for the entire day. I was always more of a non believer, but I guess I practiced the faith enough to feel remorse for my sins. Not gonna lie, I ended up bawling to the priest about everything that had happened this summer, especially Jack.

I tried not to dwell on Jack, but I had to because most of my sins revolved around him – profanity, adultery, lying… I was bad, but Jack brought out the worst in me… and I didn’t even regret it. I loved every second I spent with Jack.

I was only doing this whole confession thing because I needed to clear my mind before the start of the school year – the start of my senior year. Nothing was going to distract me this year.

I pretty much had a job waiting for me already, though – designing golf courses for luxury resorts in a myriad of lovely locations, starting with Hawaii. I honestly didn’t like golf at all… but I liked my money, and this was the most lucrative job offer I’d received yet, so of course I took it.

“Do you know the Chaplet of Divine Mercy?” the priest asked when I was done.

“Y-Yeah.”

“Well, your penance is the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Complete it three times,” the priest told me before absolving me of my sins. So, you know, I was on my knees in the pew for a good hour or so after that, too. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is like saying the Rosary, but it’s a bit shorter. When I had finished my penance, I got off my knees, rubbing them with a sigh before leaving the basilica.

Image

Graduation came by quicker than ever. It was insane. I was glad to be out of school, though. I was excited to go to Hawaii, because my family was going to fly out and see me there. Because I would be paying for it, with the money I earned from my job. I haven’t seen my family since coming to America for school. I was so excited for my life to start.

Jack was just another bump in the road, and he was far behind me now.

My roommate surprised me with Warped Tour tickets. There were certain bands on the Kevin Says stage that I wanted to see, but she was going for some band on the main stage. Typical.

The day we graduated was pretty depressing for me, though. Everyone’s family had come from all over the country to see their child walk across that platform, take the diploma, toss the hats… After the whole ceremony, everyone was taking pictures and shit, but not me. I went off to take refuge under the shade of one of the trees. I was pretty much the only one without family, or friends…or so I thought.

“Congratulations, Taylor,” a guy that appeared to be just a tad older than me said as he approached me.

“A-Alex,” I stammered, shocked when he hugged me. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m here for your graduation, of course!” Alex laughed, snatching my graduation cap off the top of my head. “What’s next in store for you?”

“Hawaii. I’ll be designing golf courses for a living. Not bad if I do say so myself.”

“Yeah, golf is pretty awesome!” It was nice to just catch up with Alex. He was the only other one in the band that I really talked to.

“Seriously, Alex…what are you doing here?” Alex sighed, but told me everything. “You’re fucking kidding me,” I hissed, face palming and scanning the crowd for my roommate.

“What? This is a big deal for us! We haven’t played Warped Tour in…like…forever!”

“Yes, but that means Jack is there, too, yes?”

Alex grinned. “Oh, so you still think about him, don’t you?”

I sighed and grabbed my cap back from him. “No I don’t, Alex. I don’t think about him at all. I honestly don’t think about you guys at all… and I didn’t think about you guys being on Warped Tour. I can’t go to Warped anymore.”

“Why? Because the second you see Jack you’ll want to jump him?” Alex teased.

I scoffed. “Thanks for coming to my graduation, Alex…you were the only person who did. Now, it’s time for me to go.”

“Come watch our set, please?” Alex begged, walking alongside me. “It doesn’t even matter that Jack’s there, he’s got a girlfriend now.” I had to pause when I heard that, which made Alex grin. “What? Does it bother you that he’s with someone else now?”

“Actually, that makes me happy for him. I’ll drop by the main stage, I guess, but I’m not going to hang out with you guys for very long. There are bands I want to see on the smaller stages, and I need to finish packing up my apartment.” ...It still tasted like a lie. And I just went to confession, too! Ugh!

“See you there, Taylor!” Alex said happily before running off.

But…Warped Tour was awful.

It was hot as fuck, there were too many people, and there were only port-a-potties to use… I’ve just never been to a concert like this. My roommate was a pro at this stuff. She went straight to the main stage, though. I wandered around, meeting random band guys and getting free stuff here and there. It was kind of fun. And I did get to see Closure in Moscow play. They were my only reason for coming to Warped Tour. It was awesome getting to talk to them and stuff after their set, too. I was actually kind of sort of having fun…until I walked by the main stage and heard Alex greeting the crowd.

I had to stop and watch when they started playing Toxic Valentine, though. That was my favorite song by them, and Alex knew it, too. Damn him. And damn Jack for looking so good. I was pretty far away from the stage, but I didn’t need to be super close to see that he looked better than he did a year ago. They do say that’s the best revenge on your ex – to look better after you broke up with them. He was wearing the usual skinny jeans, dunks, and a plain white t-shirt that read, “DREAM AS IF YOU’LL LIVE FOREVER.” I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but they weren’t – Jack did indeed get his ears pierced. That…only increased his sex appeal, though. Dammit.

Once I was done torturing myself with looking at the amazing man that I had and had lost, I walked off the tour grounds. I texted my roommate to let her know that I was going back to my apartment already. I took a cab home and continued to pack after a nice shower…

But, you know, Alex texted me. He texted me this picture of what appeared to be their tour bus, and they were already partying on it. I could see Flyzik and Vinny dancing, Rian and Zack leaning back with some drinks in hand, and a couple sitting on the couch in the bus lounge. And when I scrutinized the couple, I could vaguely make out a girl with a head of the blondest hair I’d ever seen straddling Jack’s lap. I gritted my teeth, especially when Alex’s caption to this photo was a simple,

[should’ve stuck around for the post show party;)]

Karma is such a bitch. I deleted the message, turned my phone off, and focused again on packing. I had to tell myself over and over that I wasn’t mad that Jack was with someone new. Thank god I’m moving somewhere and I‘ll never see him again. But still, just saying that gave me a bad feeling...

I mean, I gave Jack hell, and... You get what you give.
♠ ♠ ♠
gosh it's always so hard for me to end stories.
thanks so much for reading, guys. :] it always amazes me that
people find the stuff my brain pukes out somewhat entertaining, lol.
hey, before you unsubscribe, leave me a comment, please? :D
tell me your all out honest thoughts of the story, or my writing in general.
did you like, love, hate this story? or just certain parts? what was your favorite part?
i'm so excited to start posting the sequel for you guys!!!