Black and White

Chapter Five

It was late one evening, and the Blacks had gone hunting. Azriel had stayed behind, unable to bear the thought of leaving me alone for one second, but it didn't completely alleviate my worries. From what they had told me, Anthus was rather clever. “Sophia, darling, I promise you I would never let you get hurt.” I sighed and rested my head against his shoulder.

“I know that you mean that, but you can never be sure what life will throw at us. There will always be something for you to protect me from.”

“And I'm glad to do it,”he replied, kissing my cheek sweetly. Suddenly a bang sounded down stairs. “Take my hand,” he said quietly, dragging me behind him.

Another bang, from somewhere entirely different. “Azriel?” I breathed out.

“Anthus is here. He's toying with us. We need to get out of here,” Azriel stated calmly, picking me up and slinging me over his back. We began to run, and the world was a blur. It was beautiful, and strange, and thrilling. I found myself giggling with glee, but all that came crashing down and we were confronted with a feral looking female vampire.

“Hi there,” she purred, smirking slightly and prominently showing her fangs. “How are you guys doing?” She began running towards us, and Azriel immediately set me down and tackled her.

“Perfect.” I gasped as hands grabbed me and dragged me.

“Azri-” A hand covered my mouth and before I could blink, we were far away from the Azriel and the woman.

My body was thrown across a room, slamming painfully into a wall. I screamed in pain and was met with a dark chuckle. “I can't wait to hear more screams out of that throat of yours. I love the sound a human makes right before it dies.”

He dug his sharp nails into my arm, dragging down. Drops of blood exploded out, landing everywhere, including his cheek. He darted his tongue out of his mouth and licked away all of my blood, making his eyes flash in pleasure. “Ohh. Tasty,” he smirked. He slammed me into the wall, making my bones crack at the force. “Any last words?”

“Go to hell!” I shouted as loud as I could, watching as his eyes narrowed dangerously.

“I've already been there, honey. I was too hardcore for them!” he laughed before diving towards my throat.

A body crashed into his, leaving me to crumble on the floor. “Azriel...” I whispered as I lost consciousness.

“Sophia?” I heard a voice ask as my eyes fluttered open. I saw the worried face of Diana. She smiled. “Oh thank goodness!” she exclaimed as she hugged me tight. I cried out in pain and she immediately pulled away, giving me an apologetic look.

“Where's Azriel?”

“We literally forced him to hunt. You've been out for a long time, and he wasn't looking too good.”

“I'm back,” Azriel's voice carried through the room before his eyes rested on my now conscious form. His eyes expressed the profound gratitude that is only experienced immediately after things are at their most desolate. Without a word, he crossed the room and held me in his arms, breathing in my scent from my hair. I felt a tear fall on my cheek. “Thank all that is in this universe that you're alright. I thought I wouldn't make it in time.”

“Well, evidently you did.”

“Room for one more?” I heard Gregory's voice come through. He made his way over to me and crossed his arms over his chest, raising his eyebrow scoldingly. “You gave me quite a scare there.”

“Sorry.”

“Just tell me the next time a vampire is hunting you down, alright?” My eyes widened. “You think I didn't know? Please. I always know.” He winked and smiled. “Plus, I always said nobody human could ever take an interest in you.” I smiled and pushed him lightly.

“Shut up, you little fairy.”