Stuck in the Middle

Prologue

The house was kind of clean, with just a few things spread out around on the floor. They couldn't help it, the family just wasn't the clean type. It was just Jeremy, Logan and their mother. She wasn't Wonder Woman, but she was pretty close to that. The only reason she was straightening up was because Avery was stopping by. 

Jeremy jumped at the sound of the doorbell, that same feeling that erupted in his stomach whenever Avery was near and whenever she crossed his mind. He didn't feel this way with very many people, Avery was special.

The doorbell rang again, and he raced to open the door. Avery stood there in a hoodie and shorts with her favorite flip flops, and her red hair falling around her face. 

"Hey stranger," she said, biting her lip. Jeremy smiled, knowing she only did that when she was nervous. 

"Hey beautiful," He said, pulling her in for a hug. She stepped into his open arms immediately, her head on his chest.

"Jeremy, why are you so perfect?"   she asked suddenly. He shrugged, still hugging her. 

"I wouldn't consider myself perfect," He said looking down at her. "Maybe that's just how you see me. No one is perfect, Ave."

She stepped away for a second, getting a good look at his face. Her nose scrunched up, and her eyes became intense. He couldn't help but smile at how cute she was. 

"No, I'm pretty sure you're perfect," she said smiling suddenly. "Perfect for me, at least."

She moved back into his arms, making that feeling in his stomach intensify. 

"Avery, I have to say something and I don't know how you're going to respond but-" 

"I love you too," she said, kissing him. After that, He knew he was happy. She loved him, and he loved her. That's all that mattered.

"Are you sure you have to go?" He asked, holding her in his arms. She smiled and kissed his cheek.

"Yeah, sadly I do. I have to get back to my aunt's house," she said, as she stood up. "I'll see you tomorrow, though. That's a promise." 

"That better be a promise. I'm holding you to that." She laughed, and walked slowly to the door. She stopped and waited for him to walk to her. He watched intently, as she contemplated something in her head. Before he knew it, she was in his arms. Her legs wrapped around his waist and her arms around his neck. This kiss was different. There was a longing feeling behind it. 

"I love you, and I always will," she whispered against his neck. She jumped down and walked out the door. Jeremy ran out before she got in her car. He grabbed her hand, pulling her back to him in one swift motion. 

"I love you too." He kissed her lips one more time then watched her leave. 

He slowly made his way back in the house and up the stairs to his room. He threw himself on his bed, feeling like the luckiest guy on Earth. His girlfriend loved him. That was the thought that got him to sleep. 

A few hours later, Jeremy woke up to the phone ringing and his mother frantic. He jumped out bed and ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. 

"What's going on?" He said noticing Logan and his mother. 

"Jeremy. I'm so sorry," she said, hugging him.

"Mom, what's going on?" He asked quietly, seeing the tears in her eyes. Logan just sat there quietly with his head down. 

"Jeremy, she's gone. She died in a car crash." 

Those words, 'died' and 'car crash,' they made his heart stop. He pulled away from his mom, grabbed his keys and made his way to the hospital where he found Avery's parents. 

"Jeremy..." Mrs. Scott said to him with a pained look in her eyes. He shook his head crying finally. She pulled him in for a hug. 

There were three girls in his life that he loved a lot. His mom, his best friend that he's known since birth, and his girlfriend. Now there are only two.

~

I opened my eyes, finally able to see again after being in the dark for so long. I took in my surroundings only to confuse me more. 

I was standing in an operating room, with a bunch of doctors hovering over a body. A dead body. I moved closer hoping no one would take notice. When I reached the end of the table where the person's head was I almost fainted. Under all the blood and scratches, was me. My red hair matted and sticking to my bloody face. My eyes closed and wires sticking out of me everywhere. It was a scary thing to see. 

"Hey. Hey! Can't you do anything?" I yelled grabbing a nurse, but she walked right through me. My mouth dropped open a little at this. Was I dead? I couldn't be though. 

"I'm sorry, but there isn't anything I can do. She's gone." The doctor said, walking out of the room. I looked down at my limp body, tears running down my face. I followed the doctor out where he found my parents and told them the news. Then five minutes after, Jeremy walked in. 

I watched as my mother pulled him in for a hug, trying to calm him down. She couldn't though. She couldn't fix this. She couldn't bring me back. I was officially dead. 

For the next week, I stayed with Jeremy. I watched him cry and it pained me to see him like that. The worst was in his sleep, he would cry out that he loved me and that it should have been him. I'm happy it wasn't him. 

His mother walked in time after time and sat on his bed trying to comfort him, but he didn't want it.

"I brought you some cookies." She said, setting them on his desk. "Jeremy, I know you're hurt. You need closure though. You need to move on with your life. Would Avery want you to act like this?" She asked. I could see how Jere took in his mother's words almost as a low blow. But it's true. I don't want him moping around, mourning me forever. I want him to be happy. 

"It's only been a week! I loved her, does that matter to anyone? Just go," he said to his mom from under the covers. She looked so sad. She got up and stopped at the door, looking at the picture of Jere, Elaine and I. 

"Sue is coming to stay with us in a few weeks. Maybe Elaine can talk to you." She said, setting the picture down. She closed the door gently. 

I moved over to the picture realizing something. Lainey was now my last chance.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is only the beginning. I'd just like to thank Jenna again for the banner and my co-author, Lauren for the wonderful summary. Her and I will both be writing this story... Hopefully more to come soon. We're both quite busy at the moment.