Stuck in the Middle

Chapter One.

Elaine sat in the back of the old jeep that belonged to her mother. She had her hands clasped in her lap on top of the floral dress she was wearing. 

She stared out the window, thinking of her destination. The destination that contained her heartbroken best friend and the place where his beautiful girlfriend and also her best friend used to live. 

Her mother glanced back in the mirror, with a worried expression. She had never seen her daughter so quiet on the way up to their summer cottage. It had been a few years, and this time the circumstances were different. 

Elaine tensed up as they began to drive past the familiar scenery, she became so fondly of. 

John, her brother, laced his fingers with hers, giving he'd hand a small squeeze. She wearily smiled up at him. He could be a pain, but he cared about her more than anything.

They passed the park, where she had her first broken bone. She had fell off the swing, and Jeremy carried her the two blocks back to the house, while she screamed the whole way. 

They passed the bakery, where she would go with Jeremy and Avery every morning to get donuts. 

They passed the bike trail, that they had got lost on and scared their mothers half to death. 

And lastly, they passed Avery's house. The tall blue mansion, with grey shutters. 

Elaine took a shaking breathe, "Mom, stop." 

Her mom put the car into park, as Elaine reached for the handle. She quickly got out, and stood there looking up into a for a few seconds before a lady came rushing out. 

Elaine ran up to her and hugged her, the tears she was holding back, finally being set free. She looked up into the face of Avery's mother. 

"Oh darling, I've missed you." She sighed, kissing the top of Elaine's head. 

"I've missed you too." Elaine mumbled. 

She followed Avery's mother through the front door of the house. "I have something for you." 

She went into the closet nearest to the door and pulled out a large box. "I thought you'd want these things of Avery's. Open it when you're on your own." 

She nodded in thanks and ran back out to the car, putting the box beside her and closing the door once again.

Their next destination was a dark brown house. Elaine threw open the door and touched her blue converse to the cement, sprinting ahead to the front door. 

A curly, brown head popped his head out the door and stepped out. His eyes that once held bags under them, sparkled with anticipation. The body that had been stuck in bed for days straight, took him forward anxiously. 

Elaine ran into his arms and burrowed her face into his sweet smell. "I've missed you so much." she mumbled into his shirt. 

"I've missed you too, Lainey." He smiled his real smile, no one had seen in a while. 

She stepped back, tears springing her eyes. "I'm so sorr-" 

His eyes stopped sparkling, and his shoulders slumped. "I'm so sick of people saying that. Everyone feels sorry, but they don't understand." 

He had totally changed personalities. "I don't understand, Jeremy? I've lived this past month in a living Hell. You're not the only one who lost someone, you know that right? I lost my best friend. How dare you say I don't understand." She yelled, tears streaming down her face. She spun around on her heel, running the way towards the beach. Towards her safe haven. 

"I'm sorry, Lainey." Echoed through the wind, but she didn't stop. She ran until her legs gave out and she collapsed to the ground, her heart shattering in the process. 

She was broken.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys(:
This is my first chapter, I hope you like it. Just for an fyi we are switching the story to 3rd person, except when it's in Avery's view. We changed chapter one, If you want to read that.