Status: Active; No comments this update? Fine, I won't make another one :)

The Truth Beneath The Rose

Chapter 4: Meeting The Beast

Mercy jerked up from her bed as another cry filled her ears. The horrible caterwaul sounded like a wolf in distress, but it was very close, as if right…below her.

She slipped out of her bed, intrigued by the noise, and what it was coming from. She went in front of the window, but the forest was quiet with the soft rustle of leaves. The howl came again, and Mercy dropped to the ground, putting her ear to it so quickly, her vision shook. It came again.

It’s in the castle, she realized.

Mercy lit a candle and she found on her bed table and opened the doors from her room. She stuck the candle out, peeking both ways before slipping out. She carefully determined where to go and headed to the main entrance.

She walked through the hallways, every once in a while, the caterwaul of pain would sound, clenching her heart with an iron fist. She made it to the main staircase, and trotted down the stairs, listening carefully to figure her next steps.

As she made her way to the middle of the room, she strained her ears to hear the next howl, and it came without hesitation. She followed the sound down a left hallway.

She held her candle up a little higher to let the shadow of light cast itself in front of her to gain sight. The howl sounded again, so close, but it still sounded like it was below her…

Mercy stopped herself in front of a door, an old half broken door. It’s wood was so chipped it looked like if she had decided to touch it, she’d get splinters in her hands as if she had fallen into a cactus.

The howl sounded again. Right behind this door, she thought. This has to be it.

But what was she to expect? Had a wolf broken in and found prey on a rat? (Do they eat rats?)

The sound did not sound anything like a wolf. It was canine, but manly and gruff at the same time. It was as if when it howled, a man would be trapped inside the canine’s large mouth, screaming for help. Mercy shook, goosebumps rippling her skin.

Taking in a breath, she put her shaking hand on the knob, and twisted.

It creaked open, and she could see stairs descending down into the depths of the unknown. She felt her skin prickle as the next caterwaul sounded and it was so loud she almost covered her ears.

But she descended down the weary stairs, trying to breath with much effort.

She braced herself, but stepped down on the very last step and the floor creaked below her. She cursed herself, clenching her eyes shut and preying the creature hadn’t heard. She could hear large gasps of breath, snarls, and groans coming from her right.

Mercy turned, putting her candle in front of her. She stepped forward, but she could see nothing but the wood floor below.

But then, a roar vibrated the walls and she gasped, jerking around at the sound.

In front of her, stood a creature with large, prodding teeth, built to tear and shred. She saw large, yellow eyes, meant for night vision, for hunting. She saw a large black nose, inches from her face. It snarled, growling lowly in it’s chest.

Mercy screamed for her life, dropping the candle and it’s light extinguished. She kept screaming, trying to run away, but a large arm, with claws connected to it’s hands, wrapped around her waist, yanking her back. Her back slammed into the creature's, and her heart beat so hard she was sure it heard it.

She was sobbing uncontrollably, gripping at the thing’s arm. “No, please!” She cried out, but it howled that horrible, deceivable caterwaul. It was so tall; it lifted her very slightly where her bare feet barely grazed the ground.

It wrapped herself around her, almost taking her into himself. She could hardly breathe as it’s clawed hand wrapped around her neck, pointing her chin upward slightly. She gripped at the hand, pulling at it, but nothing worked.

Her body went limp, and dropped in the creatures arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...I updated!

Ha, I'm not as lazy and self absorbed as you thought, right?! No?

Oh, uh...okaaaaay. Comment, please, if you want more. This was definitely a pleasure to write.