Status: Active; No comments this update? Fine, I won't make another one :)

The Truth Beneath The Rose

Chapter 5: What is His True Nature?

The beast was growling savagely even as Mercy awoke. She was still in the dark basement, and she was lying on the wood ground. She had been moved to the corner, farther from the staircase then she had been.

It claws scraped against the wood, and it’s black lips pulled back into a venomous snarl. It’s deep brown fur ruffled, moving with each finely carved muscle under it’s pelt as it stepped closer. It’s ears lay flat against his head, emphasizing the anger in it’s glowing yellow eyes.

She was sobbing again, her wet hair matted against her face. “Please…no…”

The creature’s eyes blazed, looking almost satisfied at her pathetic pleads. It’s claws dug into the floorboards once again, almost looking like he was trying to constrain himself.

Mercy pressed herself against the wall, wishing she could sink into it and let it swallow her up. She was trapped in a corner, with no exits whatsoever. She felt as if her insides would come out her mouth, and her heart would snap into a million pieces.

It was then inches from her face, and she forced herself to calm the slightest so it was only her uneven breath and mangled cries he could hear. It growled lowly in it’s chest, it’s eyes sharpening.

Mercy let out another sob, rolling her lips in so another plead for help would not escape.

It was so close, it’s breathing blew her hair back slightly. She whimpered as it sniffed her, smelling her hair and wet face, and near her neck area.

Mercy turned her head to the side, resisting the urge to look in it’s eyes, and see the final blow it would take to rip out her flesh.

But it never came.

Mercy clenched her eyes tighter, but moments passed and in never came. A deep rumbling sound sounded from him, low and non-threatening. At least, it didn’t sound that way.

It sat on the wooden floor properly, it’s face still menacing. The deep rumble continued, and Mercy’s breathing caught in her throat.

But then, it thrust it’s head forward very slowly. Enough time for Mercy to shut her eyes, which she did. But she didn’t feel it’s enlarged teeth sink into her flesh. She felt it nuzzle it’s head into her chest, as if looking for comfort. Like a puppy, she thought.

She gaped down at the creature, it’s head rubbing against her chest. The deep rumbling sound continued, in a series of short grunts. It’s breathing was hard, and she could hardly breath in shock. She could not get over how big it was, how it’s head was wider then her.

What had happened? She asked herself. This creature had looked like it had been about to swallow her whole. But now, it seemed like a lost puppy in the rain, looking for comfort.

It made a deep rumbling sound that might have been a grunted whimper. A whimper? She thought.

Her hand reached out, and rested itself atop it’s large brown head. It ears were still laid back, but in a sad, scared way. Scared?

It nestled itself farther into her chest, as if it were trying to hide. She thought a moment about comforting it, whispering nurturing words, but thought different. She might startle it, if she were not careful.

Mercy felt oddly relaxed as she rested her head against the wall. Her heart beat slowly, calming down with each passing second.

She then fell asleep.

Image

Colly raced down the main staircase and down the left hall, only to find that several other maids and butlers had came there at the sound of Mercy’s scream to the door of the basement.

“What happened?” She questioned as she approached the group.

“What happened?!” Retorted James, a skimpy man with a stern face. “How did our guest get down there, Colly?”

Colly flinched, looking at the basement door which was now completely quiet. “I don’t know! But now, we must get her out! What if…what if…”

James sighed, and a few other maids and butlers passed Colly sorrowful looks. “The Master has never hurt anyone whilst he was like this, so—“

“But that’s because no one has ever confronted him while he was like this! He could have—“

“Colly, please!” James hushed her. “We don’t know, but since you let her out of your sight, you are to go down and get her.”

There was an aching silence before Colly sighed. “Fine!” She bushed past him and turned the door knob, and let it open by itself. She turned to see that James was ready to follow her.

There was silence, even as she descended down the stairs, James behind her.

She finally hit the wood floor, and she silently searched for the girl. Mercy, how could you be so reckless? Colly thought.

She turned the corner and nearly gasped in shock.

There was no bloodbath, as James had predicted. Instead, Mercy lie against the wall, fast asleep with her lips parted just barely.

The beast was in front of her. No, practically on her. His large head was nuzzled in her chest, as if looking to be comforted.

James gripped Colly’s arm in shock also, and they glanced at each other with confused eyes.

“Hurry, James.” Colly whispered, facing him but her eyes on Mercy and the beast. “We must get her out before morning comes and she configures the Master is the beast!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please. I want to know if you enjoyed this one! :)