Status: Active; No comments this update? Fine, I won't make another one :)

The Truth Beneath The Rose

Chapter 9: The Story

“Hello, son.”

The man in front of her was tall, maybe an three inches taller than Edge. He had gray hair, held firm by gel, and a fuzzy gray mustache. His firm, early thirties, face was strained into a frown. He wore a business gray business suit and black shoes. Mercy had to wonder if everything about this man was simply gray.

“Hello, sire.” Colly stepped up and bowed with a nervous smile upon her plump face.

“Ah.” He said, a fraudulent smile suddenly appearing on his face. “How have things been while I’ve been…busy?” Why had he said it as if “busy” had meant something else?

He continued before she could answer. “Ah, is this Daniel’s little girl?”

Mercy squirmed under his stare, but nodded. He smiled some more. “I’ve been waiting to see you…uh, Mercy?” Just assuming he was right, his confused look went back to a smile. “In a family of men, you need a woman there to fill in the gap.”

“Um, thanks—?”

“Hey! Let’s eat. I’m starving!” He dropped his bags, which a scrawny maid picked up, and threw his hands in the air as if having a celebration.

“Dad, Mercy just ate—” Edge tried to put in, but “daddy” jumped in.

“So? She can survive a small meal, right?” He looked expectantly at her and she nodded slightly.

“Great! Colly, tell the maids to fix the mfinest meal in their book. Uh…something small for the lady.”

Colly nodded and hurried off.

After that, Edge hurried Mercy away to avoid any more conversing with his dad.

He directed her to her bedroom, but when she was in, he didn’t leave. He quietly shut the door and turned. “I’m sorry about my...dad…”

“He…he seems nice—”

“No, you know he doesn’t. He’s an arrogant bitch, that’s what.” Edge avoided her gaze, looking down at the ground and at the walls.

“Hey.” Mercy came up to him and took his large hand in hers. “It’ll be fine. I’m sure.” Without waiting for a reply, she went to the door, Edge still in hand, and opened it.

Colly was already standing there, her hand poised as if she were about to knock. “The ‘early dinner’ is ready.” She said quietly, and walked away.

Mercy looked behind her, and Edge rolled his eyes. She gave him a reassuring tiny smile and they walked downstairs and into the dining hall.

“Ah! Come in, come in. Sit down, please.” As Mercy and Edge sat down on the opposite side of the table, maids placed trays in front of us. He hadn’t applied to her wishes of “something small” at all.

The smile on his face hadn’t gone away. “So, how do you like the mansion? Is it to your liking?”

“Um…yes, sir.” Mercy replied.

“Oh, no need to be so formal. Call me Ian.” He interlaced his fingers, letting the conversation flow. “Please, tell me, uh…” He seemed to know the converse would grow uncomfortable. “What was your father like?”

Mercy’s eyes grew worried. She hadn’t expected that. No one had ever asked her something like that.” “My father?”

“Well, yes. Your father had come to me at the fact that he was dying—”

“He was dying?”

“No, wait, please. He had tuberculosis, and knew he wouldn’t make it, so he came to me. We had been friends in high school and found out I lived in the area and asked me to take care of you when he was gone.”

“Why didn’t he tell me himself—?”

“He told me that he couldn’t. You were just so young, Mercy, and frankly, you would have broken down.”

“Dad, maybe you should just—”

“No, Edge, she has to know.” Ian turned toward him, giving him a sharp stare, then he is eyes went back to Mercy. “I agreed to his proposition on behalf of the fact that Edge is locked up in this place, and he needed someone here with him, you know, with the curse—”

“Curse? This was all done by a curse?” She interjected, glancing at Edge. He didn’t look at her, just kept his gaze at his father.

Ian sighed. “I guess it’s time to bring the story into light.”

Silence took over, startling the maids. They scurried out of the room and into the kitchen. Mercy looked between the two men, swallowing a lump in her throat. No one had taken a bite of food, and she didn’t expect anyone to. Ian looked between her, and Edge, as if contemplating how to put his words.

“I wonder if it would be hard to believe that my family came from royalty.” In said, looking at his questioningly.

“Not at all.”

“Good, because we did.” Ian wiped his forehead with a napkin and then began the story. “Years ago, my great-great-great grandfather had been a prince of a small kingdom. He had ruled selfishly and cared for no one but himself. As for this, a good witch came to the doorstep and asked him for a place to stay, in exchange for a rose. He rejected her, and she turned into a beautiful woman. She cursed him to become as ugly as he was on the inside. He lived in hiding and the kingdom died off.

“She said that when the rose’s petals were gone, the cursed would be permanent, He had to find someone to love him from the inside and the out.

“But then, a girl, uh, her name seems to have slipped my mind, but she was taken in from the cold winter and he took care of her, even though his heart was still cruel. So, she softened him up a bit and then they fell in love. But it was too late. He was forced to stay as he was and they both died of old age.”

“A…witch?” Mercy looked at them in disbelief.

Ian nodded. “Yes, a witch. The flower turned to ash, but then, they had a son. They’ve had the curse passed down, but they are only half human.”

“Oh, I get it.” Mercy wasn’t sure how she could not believe it. He was a beast. She’d seen it with her own eyes!

“Yes, and each time a child was born, the rose’s ashes would become a flower again and the curse would repeat.”

“And that’s why you brought me here?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to think this through a lot. What do you think of the story of the beast? Creative, right?

Anyway, I've never had a story THIS popular, so thank you so much! And please comment!!