Turtle

Her Smile

I’d never seen Eve smile so big, but it made me feel good knowing I was the one who made it happen. I slid into the swing next to her and pushed myself back and forth trying to gain some air.

“Jumping contest?” she had a mischievous look in her eyes but I smiled and nodded anyway. She grabbed the chain on my swing to stop and we both stepped back as far as we could. Then we flew, these swings were new not like the rusty ones every other playground seems to have.

I pumped my legs hard, I was higher in the air than her but I wanted to go higher. She opened her mouth and started the count down til’ it was time to jump. 1… I looked around trying to plot where I was going to land. 2… I checked how high Eve was going, she was pretty close to me. 3…I threw my whole body from the swing. I hadn’t been nervous before but fear closed in on me when I realized I was falling face first.

“TREVOR!” I heard Eve call out, she obviously hadn’t jumped. I tried my best to turn on my back but it was more of my side.

Crunch!

I landed on the woodchips hard and my arm filled with throbbing pain. I tried to lift myself up but I didn’t have the will to. Why did I keep hurting myself? Earlier today I’d been hit by a door and stubbed my toe, and now this.

“Are you ok!?” Eve ran over to my side and looked at me with big concerned eyes. There might’ve been tears welling too but I couldn’t keep my eyes open long enough to focus. I looked at my arm, it probably wasn’t broken but it definitely was bruised.

She pulled me up to an upright seating position, I pulled off my glasses and polished them as best I could with one hand. She searched my eyes for awhile, but I didn’t know what for. Maybe she thought the fall made me crazy or something.

“I..I-“ I stumbled over my words “win” a smile spread across her face and I felt that warm happy feeling from earlier again. For a moment I forgot the pain. But it all came back over me when I heard Allen and Kayla’s voice approaching. I’d never met two people who could be as loud as them, they were unique I guess you could say.

“Eve! What are you doing with this pasty band geek?” Allen called out. I looked down at my skin, I’d been called a vampire before due to my pasty skin. Maybe I should get a tan…?

“Don’t call him that you guys. He looks fine with pasty skin” Even though it stung a little I forced a smile. She was trying to defend me and it’s the thought that counts right?

“Okay” Kayla said her words oozing with sarcasm.

“Just help him up Allan!” Eve pushed him towards me, he reluctantly stuck his arm out and pulled me up. I started to walk back to the fence that formed a border around the whole playground. But Eve grabbed my arm and looked at me with question.

“Where are you going?”
“Away, I’ve got better things to do than hang with your friends Turtle” I snatched my arm out of her hand and turned to walk away. I heard Allan and Kayla snicker and Eve mumbling something under her breath.

Why would someone who seemed so nice hang out with those 2 lame jerks? Gosh, Turtle sucked at picking friends.

I stomped over to the swing and sat very still in it, I didn’t want to fall again. I stared over to Turtle, she was back to laughing and talking with the other two. A slight ping of jealous went through me, people were so nice to her. I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t like her, well..except for Tim, but that’s because he thinks she’s snotty. But that’s a complete lie, I don’t even know where he got it from.

I looked around for something to do outside of the park, this was getting boring. A small breeze started blowing my hair back, something clicked in my head. I reached in my pocket and pulled out my few bucks. I counted, exactly $25.50, just enough. I walked out the park with a smile on my face. I had a mission.

_____________________

“Oh, Trevor” Mom was a little disappointed with my new hair cut. It was much shorter than that mop top style she usually made me keep. I rubbed my hand over my freshly cut hair, it stuck straight up in the front not to tall though, just the right amount. And when I took my glasses off I even mistakenly thought I was a cool kid.

“What happened??” Tori had a look of shock on his face, we’d always shared the same geeky hairstyle and clothes. We even had the same glasses, and as a senior I no longer want to look like my freshmen brother.

I shrugged and smiled a bit. I wouldn’t have to put up a tough front if people thought I looked cool…right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell us what you think :D